Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I am weirdly more disappointed about last night's result than I thought I would be.

And I am tired of f***in transfer suggestions.

Time to dig in with what we've got and get into the play-offs.

The thread is called "summer transfer suggestion" what else would you expect to see in this thread?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

The thread is called "summer transfer suggestion" what else would you expect to see in this thread?

Quite right.

But I am tired of identifying 'quite good' nearly men and hoping for the best. 

On paper we have a squad good enough to get into the play-offs and go up. Just want to see us do it.

Like I said, I am surprised at how cheesed off I am after last night. The next three games are big.

4 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

This would be my dream/realistic starting XI for the beginning of next season - 

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh  Pearce  Lowe

Thorne

Hughes   Johnson

Ince                 Martin            Sako 

We need 2 major signings to make this team a top 2 team. The RB needs sorting because we have learnt that Ince with more space on the wing is unstoppable. So when Christie plays he just takes up his space and limits Ince's creativity. Also the left wing position needs sorting as Russell isn't good enough for a top championship team. Anya is yet to set the world alight but now he has sorted his injury problems he could be the answer.

Swap Johnson out for a new forward thinking cm, and sako out for Ibe and I think you've got a top 2 side there. Would be interested to try a 4231 tho, seems to have worked for a lot of teams in this league and higher

14 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Quite right.

But I am tired of identifying 'quite good' nearly men and hoping for the best. 

On paper we have a squad good enough to get into the play-offs and go up. Just want to see us do it.

Like I said, I am surprised at how cheesed off I am after last night. The next three games are big.

I think a few Rams fans were frustrated, not least because for 180 mins we drew 3-3 with them and, thanks to a few dodgy calls by the ref, deserved it.

Theres also been a general movement amongst the minds of Derby fans that looking at young, talented players with potential is the way the clubs transfer team should be focussing our policy on. 

I'm tired of us being linked with someone in temporary form, as any deal would be inflated.

Transfer window closed, time for our squad to step up and see if they can climb into top 6 and stay there.

Based on us not going up. 

Daniel Johnson (gives us something differenti midfield)

Jordan Ibe or Sam larsson (One marquee signing)

Tomas Kalas  (next season may be one too far for Baird to play regularly abd CC isn't good enough to be first choice)

If we have Martin, Forsyth and Thorne, that's it. 

After today, I'd say Tammy Abraham would just could be the answer to cracking this division. He can do the 'back to goal' stuff that Martin does and has a similar poacher's instinct, but also is quick, dynamic and good in the air. The perfect no. 9 for our 433, but his overall game and physique would also suit several other systems.

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

After today, I'd say Tammy Abraham would just could be the answer to cracking this division. He can do the 'back to goal' stuff that Martin does and has a similar poacher's instinct, but also is quick, dynamic and good in the air. The perfect no. 9 for our 433, but his overall game and physique would also suit several other systems.

Martin coming back at the end of the season though

12 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

Martin coming back at the end of the season though

If today was a typical Abraham performance then he's a bit better than Martin currently and likely to develop further. Martin is a good option if we're going for 6th place, but Abraham is the type of striker we need if we're going for automatics.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

Need 5 signings to be guaranteed a good season next year. A right back, centre half, holding mid, centre mid and left forward.  Anything less and we'll be nearly men again. Carson, Pearce, Lowe, Hughes, Ince & Martin the survivors.

No we don't and to not include Keogh in your list of 'survivors' is ludicrous.

To change almost half the starting X1 in one swoop will do nothing but cause wholesale disruption to the squad and playing style. Clubs who have come close to promotion but failed to make that final step then make minimal changes before finding that missing ingredient. We need 2, 3 at most - definitely a ball-carrying midfielder, a dynamic wide forward (preferably right footed) and possibly a defensively-sound RB but whether it's 2 or 3, they need to be certain starters a la Hughes, Martin, Ince and Keogh.

My worry is that we will get terribly excited by:

1. Having Martin back

2. Having Keogh as captain for another year

3. Retaining Will Hughes

4. Signing an out-of-favour winger

5. Committing to SM and 4-3-3

All of which have failed to produce promotion in the past.

The general consensus for the past few years has been that we were just a little short of the right team. I think we need a bigger shake-up than that. Pearson went about it the wrong way but the sulkiness we saw from the squad was perhaps indicative of the mental weaknesses we have. 

We need a bit of backbone, probably including a whole new midfield and a captain that takes no prisoners. Don't get me wrong, if Keogh wants to stay I think he's an excellent defender.

We have skill and pace in our current team but we are just a bit too easy to play against.

18 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

My worry is that we will get terribly excited by:

1. Having Martin back

2. Having Keogh as captain for another year

3. Retaining Will Hughes

4. Signing an out-of-favour winger

5. Committing to SM and 4-3-3

All of which have failed to produce promotion in the past.

The general consensus for the past few years has been that we were just a little short of the right team. I think we need a bigger shake-up than that. Pearson went about it the wrong way but the sulkiness we saw from the squad was perhaps indicative of the mental weaknesses we have. 

We need a bit of backbone, probably including a whole new midfield and a captain that takes no prisoners. Don't get me wrong, if Keogh wants to stay I think he's an excellent defender.

We have skill and pace in our current team but we are just a bit too easy to play against.

I don't agree that the squad is not good enough. We have been knocking on the door for the past few seasons. The Wembley season, if SM had have been with us from the start of the season we would have gone up automatically. We performed superbly in the semi final v Brighton and totally outplayed QPR at Wembley. If we can get Thorne back match fit (I am not totally convinced this will happen though), Forsyth and Martin back and then bring in 3 quality players and offload some of the dead wood next season could be our season.....

I think for macs preferred system to really flourish we need some nailed on 1st team upgrades. 

- a ball playing cb to partner keogh. We never really replaced bucko. Pearce and shackell are good defenders but mac likes to split the cbs so need pace and passing ability. 

- a new defensively minded rb. 

- a new George Thorne type. Could be de sart 

- a new Craig bryson  - a runner  (primarily) but with more physicality and power. 

- a faster stronger Chris Martin type 

I agree with the poster that we wouldn't want to throw half a new team in. We could find younger players and introduce them as the seasons knocks take their toll. For example, we've been managing with bryson in and out with no lije for like cover .

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I think for macs preferred system to really flourish we need some nailed on 1st team upgrades. 

- a ball playing cb to partner keogh. We never really replaced bucko. Pearce and shackell are good defenders but mac likes to split the cbs so need pace and passing ability. 

- a new defensively minded rb. 

- a new George Thorne type. Could be de sart 

- a new Craig bryson  - a runner  (primarily) but with more physicality and power. 

- a faster stronger Chris Martin type 

I agree with the poster that we wouldn't want to throw half a new team in. We could find younger players and introduce them as the seasons knocks take their toll. For example, we've been managing with bryson in and out with no lije for like cover .

I would agree with most of this. I'm not sure the RB has to be a defensive RB just better at defending than CC.

A top class LW would be good too. Either a pace merchant like Ibe or someone to knit play together, a rich man's Dawkins

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I would agree with most of this. I'm not sure the RB has to be a defensive RB just better at defending than CC.

A top class LW would be good too. Either a pace merchant like Ibe or someone to knit play together, a rich man's Dawkins

Yes, I'd forgotten about Dawkins. 

I'd be tempted to keep hold of CC as a forward thinking rb. But I think our best defensive system is the one bombing forward full back with the other hanging back to make a 3. Could play CC with say Olson who is told to stay back but if fozzy returns to his marauding best from lb then cyrus or anotjet attacking rb is no use as if he gets caught upfield we're down to 2 at the back.

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Yes, I'd forgotten about Dawkins. 

I'd be tempted to keep hold of CC as a forward thinking rb. But I think our best defensive system is the one bombing forward full back with the other hanging back to make a 3. Could play CC with say Olson who is told to stay back but if fozzy returns to his marauding best from lb then cyrus or anotjet attacking rb is no use as if he gets caught upfield we're down to 2 at the back.

I would disagree, Thorne or similar can drop into a back 3 if we are dominating (if LCB has pace) or they go one at a time. It has been good having Baird as a full back who is a good passer. I like Bruno at Brighton, a proper footballer at full back. 

Archived