Transfer Windows

Day

Would the removing transfer windows lower the increasingly ridiculous fees clubs are paying?

Allow clubs to bring players in throughout the season, maybe put a deadline in place for the Football League players, no player signed after 1st March can play in the play offs.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Would the removing transfer windows lower the increasingly ridiculous fees clubs are paying?

Allow clubs to bring players in throughout the season, maybe put a deadline in place for the Football League players, no player signed after 1st March can play in the play offs.

Yes David it has!

now get rid of substitutes then nobody would want most of these who are constantly being sold, 

Yes. Look at Wildschut with a reasonable half season behind him suddenly going for £7m, which is vastly more than anyone expected a week ago, and partly down to the fact teams can hold buying clubs to ransom knowing there is a ticking clock.

Average players as well as those with a brief run of form become crazily overpriced. I remember talk of Hogan in summer and we were saying £6, 7 , 8m or whatever it was a risk, and now that's virtually doubled.

Footballers remind me of the housing boom - if you were lucky enough to buy a few you at the right time you are set as prices have rocketed since, and if you didn't you'll struggle to get on the ladder now.  Maybe that is good for youth players/lower league finds in a way as smaller clubs will be priced out of most things beside these.  

Works the other way sometimes too though - if Boro/Villa want shut of Rhodes/McCormack they are going to have to knock serious money off their value to shift them today. Prices will have dropped by £4m or so during this window.

What winds me up though is this last day flurry. Why, if you're signing a player, wouldn't you want him in 4 weeks ago, settled and with 4 or 5 games under his belt by now. I know sometimes it's knock on effects - Brady/Wilsdschut/Obertan to continue as above - but if Norwich had just bid £4m for Wildschut 4 weeks ago they would have got him for that or £5m at the outside.

Let's go back to the 80s where you could sign who you wanted when you wanted up until March, squads were reasonable sizes, £2.5m was a lot of money and the playing field was a bit more even. 

7 hours ago, David said:

I think the transfer window is a misguided attempt to place some boundaries around unfettered free market forces. 

We've seen how the financial clout has gravitated to the top and the gap between the prem and the rest grows ever larger. 

We've also seen how contracts have become less meaningful. The essential tenet in English law is that contracts can be varied on giving sufficient notice and compensation. Hence with the massive financial muscle of the top clubs,  contracts increasingly mean nothing further down. They can be bought out. 

So allowing a transfer free for all throughout the season without some other safeguards would in my view make things worse. Imagine a predatory bid coming in October for will if he's had a good start to the season. 

I haven't thought through what the best way forward is. But there needs to be some mechanism to even up the playing field. An analogy is the draft system in the nfl.

One things for sure. The transfer system as it is benefits nobody except Jim f****** white. 

12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Only issue is the ability to constantly unsettle players. At least if a player becomes unsettled say a week before the window closes its just for that week. Could maybe lead to even longer drawn out transfer sagas which would be a negative.

Which is why I think there have to be some different constraints. 

A couple of ill thought out ideas  (to stimulate comment)

- have to register an interest with the league before any activity - to quash false rumours 

- limit the number of signings in a season?

It's not a straightforward issue. 

18 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Which is why I think there have to be some different constraints. 

A couple of ill thought out ideas  (to stimulate comment)

- have to register an interest with the league before any activity - to quash false rumours 

- limit the number of signings in a season?

It's not a straightforward issue. 

Possibly, maybe real clamping down on agents and tapping up but difficult to enforce.

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Possibly, maybe real clamping down on agents and tapping up but difficult to enforce.

This is a good point. As in any market,  understanding the actors in it and working out how you could regulate each one is really important. 

Like you say,  vague things like "tapping up" or "turning heads " are probably not able to be regulated. 

Archived