England Rugby 2017

froggg

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Well that well yesterday.. Have not seen the games yet due to other commitments but was shocked with the Irish result.

What happened @Highgate?

I hear England struggled but just had too much in the end.

Scotland looked good - high speed intelligent play - which is what England lacked for 70 minutes yesterday, but in the end the French couldn't cope with the white meatgrinder.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Well that well yesterday.. Have not seen the games yet due to other commitments but was shocked with the Irish result.

What happened @Highgate?

I hear England struggled but just had too much in the end.

Scotland played really well in the first half and led 21-5 at half time,  with very high pressing and high intensity. Hogg was a constant threat. Ireland made some basic handling errors, and our line-out was really poor, including giving away a try by having one man less in a defensive line-out. Second half was different, Ireland dominated most of it...and led 22-21 at one stage, but Scotland manage to land a penalty with 10 mins to go, and closed the game out well.  Enjoyable game for the neutral I'd say, not for me though.  I have to say Scotland deserved it overall.

On 05/02/2017 at 15:44, Highgate said:

Scotland played really well in the first half and led 21-5 at half time,  with very high pressing and high intensity. Hogg was a constant threat. Ireland made some basic handling errors, and our line-out was really poor, including giving away a try by having one man less in a defensive line-out. Second half was different, Ireland dominated most of it...and led 22-21 at one stage, but Scotland manage to land a penalty with 10 mins to go, and closed the game out well.  Enjoyable game for the neutral I'd say, not for me though.  I have to say Scotland deserved it overall.

I thought Ireland were too predictable in the first half and let Scotland knock them back in the tackle. The scrum was a real source of strength for you, but the lineout was woeful. 

Scotland played just like Glasgow have been this season. A couple of ball carriers in the forwards, Gray and Strauss, and when the opportunity arises attack the space with pace and numbers out wide. 

Second half was a different story, Ireland varied their attacking lines and made a few breaks. Scotland only really had possession in the last 10 mins when they actually managed to close out a game for once. 

They managed to win without Finn Russell playing well, which is encouraging, but we need our key players fit. 

Scrum is a cause for concern, the French will take us to the cleaners next week, but hopefully we can move them around and knacker them out. The substitution rules possibly takes that advantage away. 

The one thing that was noticeable was watching England France straight after the Murrayfield game how bigger the packs were in the Twickenham game, or perhaps that was the many Guiness's kicking in. 

A strange opening week. England and Ireland both looking rusty, one scraping through, the other snatching defeat when victory looked within their grasp. The Irish line out was poor and unusually for such a canny team, they conceded too many penalties. Usually dominant at the breakdown, it was Irish hands coughing up turnover ball and what was O'Brien (or was it Heaslip - can't remember) thinking when he popped the ball up for Maitland instead of support runners to his right?. They'll regroup and anyone expecting them to under-perform again might be in for a nasty surprise. The championship is not gone for them but they can no longer afford to drop points against either England or Wales if they are to secure a 3rd championship in 4 years.

The Scots played well - nicking line-out ball, securing turnovers when they had no right to and clinically taking the opportunities that arose, this was a just reward after a year or two of near misses. Indeed, the Scots have speed to burn across their three-quarters and will give all their opponents plenty to think about. They should not be taken lightly and have one of the best finishers in the game in Stewart Hogg. The fact that the lad is only 24 is genuinely frightening - Lord knows what he can go on to achieve if he avoids any serious injuries. In any case, a Lions slot seems assured for starters.

France are on the up. Their clubs sides have been resurgent this season and, in Guy Noves, they finally have a coach with a clear vision that suits the personnel at hand. Much was made of England under-performing but to my eye, they were matched in all areas of the park (and some!) for all bar the final quarter. Credit to the boys for digging in, it was their squad depth that ultimately kept their winning streak going. Expect a more cohesive performance at the Millennium but their normally dependable set-piece will need to operate a deal closer to it's optimum if they are to beat Wales in their own back yard. Quick ball and plenty of it will be needed and the current pack will need to ensure they provide plenty of go-forward in the absence of Billy, Mako and Chris. Expect Itoje to return to 4 to partner Launchbury as Haskell looks certain to start after a typically robust performance that helped turn the game. Wood was strangely mooted and one wonders whether Jones might opt for more mobility against the Welsh. Jamie George is pressing hard for a starting slot but I'd expect Hartley to retain the number 2 jersey for now.

Wales were too classy and too fit for an underwhelming Italy who seem sure to once again, to flatter to deceive. Their talisman Parisse won't be around for ever and they really need to start to progress if they are to survive any future cull should relegation be introduced into a two tier tournament, as seems likely at some point in the future.

That's my tuppence worth - enjoy the second round guys, unless you happen to be Welsh, of course :ph34r:

Havi

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

My favorite England win in all the run. My oh my how much " yap" have I had to put up with this week from Welsh mates. 

Having spent 3 years at Uni down there, I know ha tone will hurt, what was Jonathan Davies doing?

Only saw the 2nd half but I'd say England got away with it more than Derby today and that's saying something! Biggar looked great and his reaction when Elliott Daly broke free , summed up my opening sentence.

Guess that sets up the grand slam decider against us at Twickenham.......

I'll take a 3- 0 win in Paris tomorrow. The only slight chance we've got is getting enough ball to run the big French pack around. My fear is that they batter us up front and create enough space for the South Sea islanders to score a few tries. 

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Guess that sets up the grand slam decider against us at Twickenham.......

I'll take a 3- 0 win in Paris tomorrow. The only slight chance we've got is getting enough ball to run the big French pack around. My fear is that they batter us up front and create enough space for the South Sea islanders to score a few tries. 

Going to be very interesting to see how France v Scotland go today CWC... Both vastly improved sides which is good for 6 Nations overall. It's been suggested that France played well above themselves because it was v England. Everyone's favorite scalp still and of course now we are THE scalp given our run. 

Scotland have had a few very good players for a while now. Hogg being the pick of, however they didn't have much else in support but that's really getting better now. 

I predict an extremely tight game but no idea who will win. 

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

Did England really get away with it? I don't think so. Yep they made mistakes but were always within 5 points of Wales and at that level keeping yourself in the game is what counts. 

Blew 5 points in kicks as well - was a very tight match that could have gone either way. but I thought it was great to see us really capitalise on the Welsh kick that didn't find touch. In previous years I suspect the first runner would almost inevitably head back towards the pack rather than go for the space.

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I have a feeling France will edge it. As @CWC1983 said, the size of the French lads might open up too much space.

At two points between them at half time my pick would be Scotland. France tired against England and will do again, if Scotland get a nose in front then Frances might lose their discipline.

Archived