Full credit to Derby

Tony Le Mesmer

FA Cup. Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all play nearly full second string teams in the cup because IMO they aren't interested. They are chasing promotion. They all got knocked out embarrassingly by lower / non league opposition.

Derby played a strong side and can hold their heads with pride at respecting the competition.

What this weekend also confirms to me is something I've already known for a while now. Most reserve / promising young players commanding thousands of pounds a week at some of these clubs are no better than league 2 players.

Clubs should go back to basics and start some old fashioned scouting around the lower leagues because they are awash with talent and players with the right attitude. What they should not do is collect players in academies for years who are no better. They need to wake up and start doing what they are getting paid for.

Are you telling me that 11 players from the 3rd place Championship club aren't better than a mid table National League club? That's exactly what the situation is.

Disgrace football. Money and totally undeserving crap players all over the place. Foreign players all over the place too and most are absolute crap. Give these lower league British players a chance.

Well done Oxford. Well done Lincoln. Well done Sutton and well done Derby.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

FA Cup. Newcastle, Brighton and Leeds all play nearly full second string teams in the cup because IMO they aren't interested. They are chasing promotion. They all got knocked out embarrassingly by lower / non league opposition.

Derby played a strong side and can hold their heads with pride at respecting the competition.

What this weekend also confirms to me is something I've already known for a while now. Most reserve / promising young players commanding thousands of pounds a week at some of these clubs are no better than league 2 players.

Clubs should go back to basics and start some old fashioned scouting around the lower leagues because they are awash with talent and players with the right attitude. What they should not do is collect players in academies for years who are no better. They need to wake up and start doing what they are getting paid for.

Are you telling me that 11 players from the 3rd place Championship club aren't better than a mid table National League club? That's exactly what the situation is.

Disgrace football. Money and totally undeserving crap players all over the place. Foreign players all over the place too and most are absolute crap. Give these lower league British players a chance.

U-23 games I have watched have been pretty horrible. Haven't seen much of the lower leagues but surely they can't be worse.

I totally agree with the sentiment of the original post in this thread, but the kicker is that I imagine most big clubs are already well aware of the competitiveness and talent on display in the lower leagues. The reason we saw the tiered academy system introduced was because those big clubs were getting annoyed at rising tribunal fees when they plucked players from the lower leagues. The change was made precisely to enable large clubs to stockpile youth talent in their under 23 squads.

28 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Considering the EFL fined lower league clubs recently for playing under strength teams,  I assume the FA will do the same with these clubs?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/16/efl-checkatrade-trophy-under-strength-fines

No i doubt it either.

7 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Totally agree with the above, can remember when we signed players like the great Bobby Davison from Halifax town for about 40000 pound what a great player he was, for me he was my first hero to wear the Derby colours, and Phil Gee from the non league, for next to nothing, scoring a lot of important goals , when we got promotion to the old division one, that one at Sheffield United I will remember for the rest of my life , and the last player we got was Mr Buxton from Burton, I love findng players from the lower leagues,  because you know that these types of players will give there all for the club.

We've had disruption ascribed to players wanting to save themselves for a cup tie against lucrative opposition. 

We've had disruption when we've changed the side eg reading. And when we've got beat it's cost us momentum. 

Basically the cup is a pain in the whatnots if you are thinking promotion. 

Be nice to see toon and Brighton grind to a bit of a halt though. .

11 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Used to like his opinions before his failed egocentric stint at Valencia, now he's a complete c*ckwomble. 

I agree with some rotation for cup games, not wholesale changes. 

He does have a point further on in his tweets, asks if you can't play youngsters in the FA Cup when can you bring them through?

Clubs are either fighting relegation or for promotion, the money you can win/lose is too much for a lot of clubs to risk.

Easy to say when they are ready they are ready but until they play you will never know for sure.

Callum Ball was deadly in the U21's, probably playing for the Dog and Duck now after failing in Scotland. 

Rotating squads which I think is personally fine, football is a squad game, I see no reason why you shouldn't use early rounds to give minutes to players that haven't had much game time and introducing a couple of younger players. 

Throwing 11 kids out there is a bit different, think it's unfair to suggest they are not as good as lower league opposition, the occasion can get to them, TV cameras, large crowds, no experienced players to pick them up if they concede.

The non league sides will step their games up, every game is a cup final regardless of the players on the pitch, Sutton would have been in the dressing room getting ready to play Leeds United, big big club in comparison, one to tell the grandkids and the lineups won't mean a thing.

Young players are very unlikely to shine against senior opposition if every other member of the team is also a youngster. See U23s in FL Trophy.

Neville's point is a ridiculous defense of teams making 7+ changes for FA Cup games. It's only ever true when there are 2-3 youngsters among the first team. The majority being regulars. 

I am so glad with our effort in the fa cup - yes play your best team or don't enter.

shame we didn't win against basically festers first team.

youngsters should only play if they are good enough to win a proper first team spot 

stop all loans then teams simply won't stockpile players and deprive lesser teams of recruits then a lot of youngsters won't think they are footballers if they never play.

I know this discussion isn't specifically about Brighton but in our case it wasn't really a case of playing the kids. The midfield 4 was March (22), Sidwell (34), Norwood (25) and Skalak (24). None of whom would look out of place in our regular starting XI. March has 2 starts this season, but is working his way back in having only come back from the injury he suffered at your place in 2015. Sidwell's started 15 league games, Norwood 13 and Skalak 18. Stephens was injured and Kayal is working his way back to fitness from injury too. 

1 of our 9 changes was to bring Glenn Murray back into the team following his suspension. We played our 32 year old Finnish International GK, 31 year-old German centre-back. The only kid really was Tomori at right back. Maybe Adekugbe at left back but he has 3 caps for Canada and 20 league games in the MLS.

I went to the MK Dons 3rd round game and Lincoln on Saturday and the biggest difference on Saturday was Lincoln not only played their hearts out, buoyed by a massively up for it home crowd, they got away with a lot that you'd never get away with in a league game. Every time our player would pass the ball, he'd have a player charging him down (fine) who'd leave something on him after the ball was played. It's also the sort of game where you just know the ref is going to give them something given half a chance. First half Murray has their defender pushing him down to the ground to win a header in the box, nothing given, then they get a penalty for much, much less which lifts them. Own goal was just a moment of madness and then Hunemeier cocked up and gifted them the third. 

20 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

I know this discussion isn't specifically about Brighton but in our case it wasn't really a case of playing the kids. The midfield 4 was March (22), Sidwell (34), Norwood (25) and Skalak (24). None of whom would look out of place in our regular starting XI. March has 2 starts this season, but is working his way back in having only come back from the injury he suffered at your place in 2015. Sidwell's started 15 league games, Norwood 13 and Skalak 18. Stephens was injured and Kayal is working his way back to fitness from injury too. 

1 of our 9 changes was to bring Glenn Murray back into the team following his suspension. We played our 32 year old Finnish International GK, 31 year-old German centre-back. The only kid really was Tomori at right back. Maybe Adekugbe at left back but he has 3 caps for Canada and 20 league games in the MLS.

I went to the MK Dons 3rd round game and Lincoln on Saturday and the biggest difference on Saturday was Lincoln not only played their hearts out, buoyed by a massively up for it home crowd, they got away with a lot that you'd never get away with in a league game. Every time our player would pass the ball, he'd have a player charging him down (fine) who'd leave something on him after the ball was played. It's also the sort of game where you just know the ref is going to give them something given half a chance. First half Murray has their defender pushing him down to the ground to win a header in the box, nothing given, then they get a penalty for much, much less which lifts them. Own goal was just a moment of madness and then Hunemeier cocked up and gifted them the third. 

So that's where he got to... 

Wonder how that happened :huh:

Archived