Why is Chris Powell bigging up Leicester?

ColonelBlimp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38722428

At the end it says,

"

Having been a player, coach and caretaker-manager of both East Midlands rivals, Powell said he could see parallels between the clubs.

"For passion, and for supporting your team, they are very similar," he said prior to the fourth-round tie at Pride Park. "Up until quite recently, their history was kind of similar as well.

"But of course Leicester have surpassed what most clubs, apart from the traditionally big clubs, have done."

Similar? before last year? grrr

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he wold be churlish to leave it at Derby and Leicester are similar in every way on the back of their Premier title last year.

Yes we have done the same years ago but in recent times they have done that much better.

To be fair, no one cold have predicted what they did last year at the start of the season.  

So I think he has been quite fair to be honest.

They are champions of England and are the only ones left in the champions league who I would watch on tv as they are the actual champions - I long for the proper European cup, UEFA cup and cup winners cup, football that was worth watching! Not the rubbish served with full hype nowadays 

There is far too much cock measuring between fans using distant history as ammunition. When it suits, what happened last season doesn't matter but what happened 20+ years ago does.

I don't begrudge CP the comments at all, I think they're entirely fair. 

Also, all fans take issue with the idea that other fans are passionate. People seem consistently shocked when it turns out that every club's fanbases (other than a few exceptions, usually very big clubs) are made up of exactly the same types of people as ours.

11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

There is far too much cock measuring between fans using distant history as ammunition. When it suits, what happened last season doesn't matter but what happened 20+ years ago does.

I don't begrudge CP the comments at all, I think they're entirely fair. 

Also, all fans take issue with the idea that other fans are passionate. People seem consistently shocked when it turns out that every club's fanbases (other than a few exceptions, usually very big clubs) are made up of exactly the same types of people as ours.

I was expecting the usual bats and slings but I'm pleasantly surprised by the even handed comments like @SaintRam

Comments I agree with.

He's a consummate professional... We said that after Pearson was given the boot... And it's still true now...

He's got a history with both clubs and whilst we would like to believe he loves us more... He's not allowed to SHOW that in public ya see... 

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I think he wold be churlish to leave it at Derby and Leicester are similar in every way on the back of their Premier title last year.

Yes we have done the same years ago but in recent times they have done that much better.

To be fair, no one cold have predicted what they did last year at the start of the season.  

So I think he has been quite fair to be honest.

have a like for using the word "churlish" which is number 5 on my all time list of favourite words. 

Archived