Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

I think the fee would be more than amicable for both clubs. It's about time the bigger clubs started paying the smaller ones a fair price for their key players.

Bogle going to Wigan for under a million is a gamble yes but they can afford it and if it doesn't work then no real harm done to Wigan. Someone will buy him for a reduced fee if it doesn't work out. To the Mariners though, the loss of Bogle may see a play off place potentially disappear which makes or breaks their season.

Watkins and Wheeler are the two talked up at the Greasers. Both could leave in the summer. Both are key players for Exeter. Lose both in the summer and it creates a huge hole that Tisdale needs to fill to get them competitive again. Not an easy task when you are a fan owned club with relatively little of a transfer kitty.

To Derby 2 million is loose change and if they want him they should pay the Greeks a fair price which I believe that figure would be. We're not a Wigan who want something for nothing, hopefully we'll to right by Exeter if this rumour is to be true.

I know a few fans down in the SW and they have heard nothing definitive as to the destination of Watkins at this point although they are resigned to losing him.

I can't see it being that much of a gamble anyway. If Rudy Gestede can get sold for circa 10 million for example (there are plenty of others) then does Gestede have the potential to be 5 times better than Watkins?

Answers on a postcard please.

Big clubs should stop trading these bang average overrated high earning players at ridiculous prices and look to the lower leagues where the abundance of quality waiting to be developed is staggering. For every Gestede you could buy 4 lower league players complete with wages and you've got 4 chances of improving your squad markedly.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think the fee would be more than amicable for both clubs. It's about time the bigger clubs started paying the smaller ones a fair price for their key players.

Bogle going to Wigan for under a million is a gamble yes but they can afford it and if it doesn't work then no real harm done to Wigan. Someone will buy him for a reduced fee if it doesn't work out. To the Mariners though, the loss of Bogle may see a play off place potentially disappear which makes or breaks their season.

Watkins and Wheeler are the two talked up at the Greasers. Both could leave in the summer. Both are key players for Exeter. Lose both in the summer and it creates a huge hole that Tisdale needs to fill to get them competitive again. Not an easy task when you are a fan owned club with relatively little of a transfer kitty.

To Derby 2 million is loose change and if they want him they should pay the Greeks a fair price which I believe that figure would be. We're not a Wigan who want something for nothing, hopefully we'll to right by Exeter if this rumour is to be true.

I know a few fans down in the SW and they have heard nothing definitive as to the destination of Watkins at this point although they are resigned to losing him.

I agree with what you're saying but I think you're being a little bit naive to think that Derby wouldn't try to get him for the cheapest price possible. I think it would be more of a case of Exeter saying "£2 million or no deal" if this is true.

21 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

A workmate of mine, who is a regular at Exeter city matches(being an avid fan of the Grecians) told me last week that word is its a done deal and Ollie Watkins is joining the Rams in the summer for £2.25M. He states that a couple of home games ago the fans were talking about it on the terraces. So if its true it could be a good deal for both clubs.

Would be happy with this if true, seems like he has the potential to make the step up, he's young and hopefully hungry, think he's been player of the month in league two twice this season 

It does seem strange that, if true, we'd be seemingly so eager to go in with a £2.25mil deal when Bogle was available for 750k. Also if the deal is done less than two weeks after the window shuts, why did we not get him while it was open? At a price like that I don't think Exeter could also demand to keep him for the rest of the season or no deal.

If it was a done deal and has been talked about by people all around Exeter, there should be at least one journalism outlet reporting it, but I can't see any. I haven't seen him play at all but he's got great reviews and this is the sort of player we should be looking at.

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I agree with what you're saying but I think you're being a little bit naive to think that Derby wouldn't try to get him for the cheapest price possible. I think it would be more of a case of Exeter saying "£2 million or no deal" if this is true.

I am naïve BR you are right but make no apologies for it. It makes sense to get as much as you can for as little as you can but if just one football club owner / chairman did the decent thing then football would become a more honest and respectful place.

It just baffles me how clubs can chuck millions at shockingly overrated players and who generally produce little and then quibble over a few hundred grand with a league 1/2 side who are absolutely desperate for as much cash as they can get.

I'm picking on Rudy Gestede here and have no idea why, just a prime example of a player who is being paid millions, has gone for a transfer fee of millions and on what basis I have no idea whatsoever. This happens regularly in football.

I'm sure Exeter need the cash more than the likes of Rudy Gestede so give them it.

In essence you are right though BR, Derby should be more concerned about getting the player in for as little as possible as is their prerogative. I don't agree with it though although I understand it.

16 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It does seem strange that, if true, we'd be seemingly so eager to go in with a £2.25mil deal when Bogle was available for 750k. Also if the deal is done less than two weeks after the window shuts, why did we not get him while it was open? At a price like that I don't think Exeter could also demand to keep him for the rest of the season or no deal.

If it was a done deal and has been talked about by people all around Exeter, there should be at least one journalism outlet reporting it, but I can't see any. I haven't seen him play at all but he's got great reviews and this is the sort of player we should be looking at.

Tisdale (Exeter Manager) was interviewed on local TV stating that he was not going to break up is squad up during the January transfer window and not wanting to make any changes until the summer. About the same time all the press were stating that Derby were hot favourites over Villa and a few Premiership teams to sign Ollie Watkins. Then all of a sudden it goes quiet on it and the window shuts. Perhaps there was a deal struck with Derby and both clubs have kept tight lipped on it. If Villa and others were interested in this player, why didn't any other club make an offer during the window, was they told a deal is done you are to late. We will only know if some one leaks it to the press or when the season finishes we see the move happen.

Was out with Tisdale one night and of course mentioned Derby and he talked in glowing terms of Matt Oakley and the job he still does for Exeter, and I got the impression that Oakley remembers his time with us fondly. Maybe he put in a word?

I'd like us to take more of a gamble with lower league talent rather than spending fortunes on some of the players we have.

On 2/13/2017 at 21:08, plymouthram said:

A workmate of mine, who is a regular at Exeter city matches(being an avid fan of the Grecians) told me last week that word is its a done deal and Ollie Watkins is joining the Rams in the summer for £2.25M. He states that a couple of home games ago the fans were talking about it on the terraces. So if its true it could be a good deal for both clubs.

It could be that if that figure is correct, it takes into account add-ons. It does seem quite a steep but, on the little I've seen of the lad, he seems to have stacks of talent and even after one good season with us he could be worth several times that fee. 

Went in the Exeter end last night and watched them play Notts County at Meadow Lane.

Yes I know it's crazy that i have paid up empty seats at PP and I spend my evening at another football ground instead but that's what I decided to do.

287 Exeter fans, more than I expected actually and i had a row of seats all to myself. Parked up twenty minutes before kick off and a relatively anxiety free evening. Felt like old times.

I did find it weird though that just a few miles across the border Derby were playing at the same time and I wasn't there. I was gutted to hear of the result at the end.

Meadow Lane is an impressive stadium and with just 4000 in it last night, the majority silent it was eerie. Ahh the good old days.

Anyway. Saw Watkins last night in the flesh and he's awesome. Considering the Notts pitch was in an atrocious condition, his touch and close control were superb, the runs he makes, skill turning defenders, the endless amounts of time he always appears to have even under pressure and his shot is powerful too.

I'm in no doubt that Watkins is going places. Stuck out like a sore thumb last night despite not scoring.

I hope Derby can bag him because it's players like these who need the stepping stone up there and he should be a real threat.

Exeter went 2-0 up on 90 minutes so I went to the bogs as it was game over. Came out a few minutes later to a 2 all draw!! Madness!!

They are a terrible side though. Just hoof it into the box for big target men. Nolan clearly has had the Big Sam school of footy rub off on him .

55 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Went in the Exeter end last night and watched them play Notts County at Meadow Lane.

Yes I know it's crazy that i have paid up empty seats at PP and I spend my evening at another football ground instead but that's what I decided to do.

Out of likes, but like for the post.

Do you go to the U23s using your season ticket - that could be a compromise? Hope you find somewhere to park and walk from for PP games.

59 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Exeter went 2-0 up on 90 minutes so I went to the bogs as it was game over. Came out a few minutes later to a 2 all draw!! Madness!!

2 nil up and fooked it up?

nothing like that would happen with us......cough.

On 13/02/2017 at 21:08, plymouthram said:

The Rumour I heard at the weekend from a City season ticket holder is that Watkins was away from the rest of the squad on transfer deadline day talking to an unnamed club about a transfer. When I got to the ground for the Wycombe game on 31/1 , there was relief amongst the fans that he was in the match day squad, albeit as a sub. Maybe it's true it's a done deal, and I hope it is because he has a lot of potential and can be a top player for Derby.

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

287 Exeter fans, more than I expected actually and i had a row of seats all to myself. Parked up twenty minutes before kick off and a relatively anxiety free evening. Felt like old times.

I did find it weird though that just a few miles across the border Derby were playing at the same time and I wasn't there. I was gutted to hear of the result at the end.

Meadow Lane is an impressive stadium and with just 4000 in it last night, the majority silent it was eerie. Ahh the good old days.

Anyway. Saw Watkins last night in the flesh and he's awesome. Considering the Notts pitch was in an atrocious condition, his touch and close control were superb, the runs he makes, skill turning defenders, the endless amounts of time he always appears to have even under pressure and his shot is powerful too.

I'm in no doubt that Watkins is going places. Stuck out like a sore thumb last night despite not scoring.

I hope Derby can bag him because it's players like these who need the stepping stone up there and he should be a real threat.

They are a terrible side though. Just hoof it into the box for big target men. Nolan clearly has had the Big Sam school of footy rub off on him .

What did you think of David Wheeler TLM ? He is superb in the air and has pace and a good finisher. I emailed Joe McClaren about Watkins and Wheeler ages ago, but heard sweet FA in return, no surprise I suppose.

Just now, hintonsboots said:

What did you think of David Wheeler TLM ? He is superb in the air and has pace and a good finisher. I emailed Joe McClaren about Watkins and Wheeler ages ago, but heard sweet FA in return, no surprise I suppose.

I mentioned Wheeler earlier on the thread. Last night. One chance. One goal. Took advantage of a defensive slip up and slotted past the advancing keeper. Superb finisher is Wheeler and he'll be gone too no doubt.

The boy looks a natural finisher.

Exeter also have Ethan Ampadu who is another young prospect being touted around but i think he needs more experience yet.

Archived