Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have watched Ollie Watkins play about 50 times over the last few years. He has developed into a very good attacking midfielder who puts a good shift in for the team. On Saturday he set up all 3 goals and looked ready to make the step up. There is still room for improvements and Mac can achieve that, because he has all the requirements to play at a higher level, pace, vision and goal scoring ability. Last season at Yeovil I watched him lose the ball in the attacking third and chase back 50 yards to retrieve the ball. 

Get him signed up and his team mate David Wheeler who is quality.

1 hour ago, mice_elf said:

Kevin Wilson would be the most successful down the years, cost £20k from Banbury United.

Scored 30 goals from 124 appearances for us , and we got a decent fee (about £200k?) when we
sold him to Ipswich. 

Ipswich and Chelsea saw the best of him - 98 games and 34 goals for Ipswich, 152 games and 42 goals for Chelsea.

Played on in the lower divisions until he was about 40 years old.

Also played 42 times for Northern Ireland.    

Couldn't disagree with that, mind think Gee was similar for us and only cost a couple of grand from memory.

Probably in terms of success it would be Davies, after all he has an old 1st div, (read Prem) medal; might be wrong but I reckon only Vardy at Leicester can surpass that with his England caps in my mind in modern day terms.

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I have watched Ollie Watkins play about 50 times over the last few years. He has developed into a very good attacking midfielder who puts a good shift in for the team. On Saturday he set up all 3 goals and looked ready to make the step up. There is still room for improvements and Mac can achieve that, because he has all the requirements to play at a higher level, pace, vision and goal scoring ability. Last season at Yeovil I watched him lose the ball in the attacking third and chase back 50 yards to retrieve the ball. 

So is that where he primarily plays, Hinton? As an attacking midfielder?

A lot of stats website seem to have him down as either a striker or a right winger? 

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

A lot of stats website seem to have him down as either a striker or a right winger? 

It depends what formation Tisdale plays. On Sat he played just behind Rueben Reid as a No 10 I suppose, but I have seen him play in a front 2 and on the wing, so fairly versatile. There is a thread going on The word on Well Street, fans are saying about 1 million .

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He looked more like a striker in the videos, praps cos it was mostly videos of him scoring goals

47 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Sounds like its time he was given a shot at a higher level.

Attackers are always exciting to watch and with him being young British and from a lower league there will be a huge sense of hope from the fans that he makes it big. 

20 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

On the DET now too.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-transfer-talk-rams-tipped-to-land-exeter-city-forward/story-30083550-detail/story.html

Does anyone else get way more excited about lower league signings than big money players? 

I'd love to agree but I have to be fair and say Sako has been the only rumour getting me excited so far.

Would be well happy if we signed him or bogle and Mcallister. Only if we think they are good enough to play for the first team though. Buying for the u23s not really worked the last few years. 

As for our kids I'd love them to get a chance but I trust the coaching staffs judgement. They see them daily and will have an idea of who can step up. For me it seems obvious and can usually tell within a month, Hughes, Hendrick and now Lowe all looked capable almost instantly.  Others like OB, Bennett, Ball etc looked ok but you're waiting for them to improve quite a bit to become established in the first team. Which doesn't happen that often.

Calero, Koblenz, bunjaku, santos all looked promising but never made the improvements needed.

20 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

What about Vernam. He's young and exciting although out on loan. As is Guy.

With no first team experience. That is why he is out on loan. Managers aren't afforded enough time to ease youngsters into a team these days. Sending him out on loan will improve him before we pick him.

16 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Is the under 23 league fit for purpose,very few come through to "MAKE IT".To many just fall by wayside.At the age of 20 they need to playing against grown men instead of playing Ballerina football .I mean the whole U23 league not just dcfc.

Lower league football would be far more beneficial. Guy playing for Southampton tonight playing his sixth game tonight and is 23 in two days. Missed five or six years of development potentially 

2 hours ago, sage said:

With no first team experience. That is why he is out on loan. Managers aren't afforded enough time to ease youngsters into a team these days. Sending him out on loan will improve him before we pick him.

and which, in turn, is why there is a place in the U23 team going

Ollie Watkins is a fantastic player and I'd be extremely pleased to have him signed. The Greeks have an excellent reputation for moving on rounded quality players with potential and Ollie is the latest in a long line.

Exeter are fast becoming the new Crewe when it comes to discovering and developing players.

Archived