Alternative Facts

1of4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

My grandad used to love jellied eel. My dad worked at Willington power station for many years and one of his tasks was to clear the grids to the water inlet from the Trent. He would often pull some monsters out from there and take them to my grandad. I never really got into jellied eels, but over here they are used in a dish called allipebre, which also has potato, garlic and crushed almonds. That is fantastic!

We used to get a bloke coming round the pub on Friday or Saturday night selling jellied eels, prawns, cockles, whelks etc.

Re allipebre - isn't that like bouillebaise? Bloody lovely.

27 minutes ago, eddie said:

We used to get a bloke coming round the pub on Friday or Saturday night selling jellied eels, prawns, cockles, whelks etc.

Re allipebre - isn't that like bouillebaise? Bloody lovely.

To be honest I've never tried bouillabaisse and don't know what's in it, but if it is anything like allipebre I'm all for it. Basically it's the eels and potatoes in a sauce made from the garlic, onion and ground almonds ?.

9 minutes ago, richinspain said:

To be honest I've never tried bouillabaisse and don't know what's in it, but if it is anything like allipebre I'm all for it. Basically it's the eels and potatoes in a sauce made from the garlic, onion and ground almonds ?.

Bouillabaisse (I had to look up the correct spelling) is all sorts of fish in a stew/broth/soup - any non-oily fish really (i.e. not tuna, herring, salmon etc) with onion, garlic, tomatoes, chilli, even shellfish (prawns, scallops, whelks, mussels, crabs, lobster - anything you like).

Yum.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Bouillabaisse (I had to look up the correct spelling) is all sorts of fish in a stew/broth/soup - any non-oily fish really (i.e. not tuna, herring, salmon etc) with onion, garlic, tomatoes, chilli, even shellfish (prawns, scallops, whelks, mussels, crabs, lobster - anything you like).

Yum.

Anything like ceviche?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Yum.

Also, back on topic, I think you'll find Bouillabaisse is actually an early 90s boy band and has nothing to do with fish, eels or otherwise. 

36 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Anything like ceviche?

Yes - and no doubt similar to asam pedas, caldeirada, haemul geondol, moqueca and other googly fishy stuff.

Archived