Anya

jono

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought yesterday was JRs best match for a while and he definitely should start next week.

Still don't like Olsson, way too many crosses come in from his side (Readings first goal was a prime example) and think I would like to see Anya have another go at left wing back.

I thought it was Russell's man who got the cross in.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought yesterday was JRs best match for a while and he definitely should start next week.

Perhaps because he's been out of the side for a few matches it's just highlighted what he brings to the team. I definitely noticed his absence against Leeds and I was very happy to see him back in the team yesterday. 

Also, can't believe the amount of people I've seen saying we should sell him. In my opinion he's the second best wide player we have at the club, why on earth would we sell him unless we had somebody better who had been keeping him out of the side consistently? Even then I'd be reluctant to sell because I think JR is a great player to have about.

1 minute ago, SIWY said:

Perhaps because he's been out of the side for a few matches it's just highlighted what he brings to the team. I definitely noticed his absence against Leeds and I was very happy to see him back in the team yesterday. 

Also, can't believe the amount of people I've seen saying we should sell him. In my opinion he's the second best wide player we have at the club, why on earth would we sell him unless we had somebody better who had been keeping him out of the side consistently? Even then I'd be reluctant to sell because I think JR is a great player to have about.

I don't think he has brought much to the team this season if I'm being honest.

Seemed to have his mojo back yesterday, actually wanted the ball and ran at his full back a few times.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think he has brought much to the team this season if I'm being honest.

Seemed to have his mojo back yesterday, actually wanted the ball and ran at his full back a few times.

Attacking wise I'd agree he hasn't brought much to the side this season, but he does a lot of work off the ball that often goes without credit that you can really notice when someone like Camara plays instead of him.

1 minute ago, SIWY said:

Attacking wise I'd agree he hasn't brought much to the side this season, but he does a lot of work off the ball that often goes without credit that you can really notice when someone like Camara plays instead of him.

I even thought his defensive work has been way down on what we are used to seeing but it appears that I am in the minority on that one!

The first Reading goal yesterday came from him not tracking back with his man.

Anya should not be sold this window. Important asset that he can play so many positions. He has pace energy and movement, exactly what this team lacks at times. If Bryson continues to struggle (although fair play to him yesterday as he played injured), I think Anya could do an effective job in the midfield 3.

Ultimately neither Russell, Anya or Camara really has a consistent end product. That's why they are playing in the Championship. I was pleased with Russell yesterday until his final ball which let him down a couple of times. Over hit crosses frustrat the heck out of me and by and large go out of play. The likes of Tottenham and Man Utd trust their defensive players and allow both full backs to go forward and hence over hit crosses are often retrieved.

Russell simply got beaten by his man on the cross for the goal. Would have been difficult for Pearce to cut it out as he has to protect his full back more, so only real criticism is that Keogh doesn't tuck in enough but it's difficult all round. Sometimes you have to give credit to the offence. However should a player be allowed to get a ball ten yards outside the box and reach the byline? Probably not.

Olsson did well getting forward, but his crossing is also poor. I'd like to see Lowe giving a run of games there when fit but the problem a lot of us have are none of us have really seen him play, so we are hoping he becomes a star rather than knowing he is.

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I even thought his defensive work has been way down on what we are used to seeing but it appears that I am in the minority on that one!

That first goal yesterday came from Bryson mistiming his tackle, De Sart deciding that it was easier to pass the man with ball on to Russell instead of tracking him, at which point he was running at full speed and Russell had to catch up from a standing start. Then Hughes didn't track his runner into the box and Keogh didn't move across in time to cover.

There are many players in that move I would have blamed for that goal before Russell.

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The first Reading goal was one of their CM's (the 10 year old) running through the middle of our team and crossing in for another central player who somehow managed to get it after Carson missed the ball. Johnny was the one trying to stop the cross, but it wasn't his man

Archived