Anya

jono

I am looking forward to him getting fit again. Regardless of the love / hate directed to Johnny Russell I feel that Iketchi is from the same mould. A blooming nuisance and an asset to any side at this level.  Persistent brave and forward thinking. I forget which game it was recently when he was out wide more as a wing back but he gave us a real and present dangerous outlet. He is better going forward but can also tackle and understands defensive duties. I think his touch is better than JR's but not really seeking to put one against the other, just thinking rather than the out and out attack of Camara it is Anya on the left that is the natural alternative to JR. He fits in that hole and our system. Thoughts ? 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him too, gives us something else, maybe hes a good impact player..not sure. But i have liked what i have seen, just seems a bit injury prone.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I am looking forward to him getting fit again. Regardless of the love / hate directed to Johnny Russell I feel that Iketchi is from the same mould. A blooming nuisance and an asset to any side at this level.  Persistent brave and forward thinking. I forget which game it was recently when he was out wide more as a wing back but he gave us a real and present dangerous outlet. He is better going forward but can also tackle and understands defensive duties. I think his touch is better than JR's but not really seeking to put one against the other, just thinking rather than the out and out attack of Camara it is Anya on the left that is the natural alternative to JR. He fits in that hole and our system. Thoughts ? 

I don't mind him as backup and I prefer him over Camara. I also think that his utility is useful to have. With that said I don't think he's good enough to be more than cover particularly not as one of the wide forwards. My impression of him is that he flatters to deceive and carries very little actual threat. His first thought is to beat his man and cross the ball, which would be all well and good but the cross delivered is usually slow and lofted. Combine this with that as a player he carries very little goal threat and hasn't throughout his entire career, makes him predictable as well as unthreatening. 

I'm more than willing to give him a chance but I really don't think he is the answer on the left.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Agreed. Shame he keeps picking up niggles. A decent run in the side and maybe he could do well but Johnny Russell seems to be re-finding his form and might be hard to displace. 

It's tough on him but in a sense it's good for us. Two players challenging for the same slot. Any problem and the understudy steps in without rocking the boat. 

@brady1993 take your point although I think forward players who's first thought is beat your man is something we need in the side. I agree the crosses haven't been particularly incisive but if the man is beaten in a danger area it creates collateral panic and thus oportunities for others. It's the quick 1-2's , the wall passes and the beating a man that cut holes through defences every bit as much as a sublime defence splitting pass. We need a bit of everything and I really think Anya can give us one element of that. Maybe he is fringe at PL level but in the Championship he is more than back up ( IMO ;) ) 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

@brady1993 take your point although I think forward players who's first thought is beat your man is something we need in the side. I agree the crosses haven't been particularly incisive but if the man is beaten in a danger area it creates collateral panic and thus oportunities for others. It's the quick 1-2's , the wall passes and the beating a man that cut holes through defences every bit as much as a sublime defence splitting pass. We need a bit of everything and I really think Anya can give us one element of that. Maybe he is fringe at PL level but in the Championship he is more than back up ( IMO ;) ) 

The point I was trying to make was that his first and only thought is to 'loft' a ball into the box. It's pointless him beating his man, creating that panic you refer to, if all he's going to do is effectively lose possession. Sure we need players who can beat their man (maybe even as their first thought) but they have to make a telling contribution (more often than not) when they do or else what is the point. They also need to be able to tuck in and support the striker, and I'm not sure Anya gives you that. From what I've seen of him I see a decent championship wide midfielder (i.e. the a wide player in a 4 man midfield) whereas what we need is a good championship wide forward, somebody who can float between the lines, drive at goal and making a telling contribution in attacking areas.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I always liked Anya for watford/Scotland and thought he'd be useful to have around. We paid to much I think, and I don't think he was a "needed" signing but I wouldn't write him off at all.

I think he could have a useful role to play, if not a starring one.

Yes I agree with all of that but if we were offered £4 million for him would you sell?  Because I would if I am honest 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yes I agree with all of that but if we were offered £4 million for him would you sell?  Because I would if I am honest 

At that price, yes, I probably would.

At that price I'd sell JR as well, bite your hand off for Camara/Weimann/Blackman, the only wide forward we have who is above that level is Ince who at the moment is in the "must keep" folder.

Thought yesterday was JRs best match for a while and he definitely should start next week.

Still don't like Olsson, way too many crosses come in from his side (Readings first goal was a prime example) and think I would like to see Anya have another go at left wing back.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

At that price, yes, I probably would.

At that price I'd sell JR as well, bite your hand off for Camara/Weimann/Blackman, the only wide forward we have who is above that level is Ince who at the moment is in the "must keep" folder.

I agree with this under the proviso that I'd only sell JR at that price if we had someone categorically better lined up to bring in.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought yesterday was JRs best match for a while and he definitely should start next week.

Still don't like Olsson, way too many crosses come in from his side (Readings first goal was a prime example) and think I would like to see Anya have another go at left wing back.

Happy for us to stick with Olsson until Max Lowe gets match fit. Olsson at LB is still better than Hanson at LB.

@SparkleI don't think there is any doubt that we paid top dollar as a result of Mel wanting to show his commitment to the Pearson Cause. Clement had a wedge to save the midfield after the Bryson Hughes injuries and Mel backed Pearson for Anya and Vydra.

Unless there is someone we want who is reachable in terms of money and has a willingness to play for DCFC then I try not to think about what we might get for existing players on just a "sell him basis" ... But if there were bids of over 4 million for a number of players you'd have to think about it I suppose.

interesting thought for a thread .. Who do we have that is a 4 million plus player ? 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

@jono one thing I forgot to say is I prefer the look of him at full back than a wide forward in our system. He has fantastic energy levels to get up and down the line, his proclivity to stay wide and try to beat his man can also help stretch teams. 

I agree .. CHristie and Anya on the flanks would be a very aggressive set up. Lacking a bit of the defensive but pretty blooming threatening on the pace and running front. 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on ! He did very very well going forward yesterday but wasn't watching his man or sticking to him when we were on the back foot. 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

@SparkleI don't think there is any doubt that we paid top dollar as a result of Mel wanting to show his commitment to the Pearson Cause. Clement had a wedge to save the midfield after the Bryson Hughes injuries and Mel backed Pearson for Anya and Vydra.

Unless there is someone we want who is reachable in terms of money and has a willingness to play for DCFC then I try not to think about what we might get for existing players on just a "sell him basis" ... But if there were bids of over 4 million for a number of players you'd have to think about it I suppose.

interesting thought for a thread .. Who do we have that is a 4 million plus player ? 

On the books I wouldn't sell any of the following players for less than 4M (some it'd take significantly more than that):

• Hughes
  • Ince
  • Keogh
  • Thorne
  • Forsyth
  • Martin
  • Lowe
  • Russell (4M is getting to the point I'd consider selling him)
  • Pearce (see above)
  • Butterfield (see above)

With Vydra, Carson and Christie probably just below that mark.

Archived