Anya & Blackman out, Bogle in

Day

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some players you just have a gut feeling they can make the step up, Bogle is one of those players.

How refreshing to sign a player who is currently scoring for fun, rather than a Nick Blackman who had been on a 3 month goal drought.

Andre Gray was signed by Brentford for 1 million for League 2 Luton., he was then sold for 9 million. Scott Hogan is another player who proves taking a chance on lower league talent can pay dividends.

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I always think a good indicator of whether a player will succeed higher up in the divisions is to see how well they've coped with playing in different divisions. Everytime Bogle has played in a higher league he still scores a load of goals so he could make the step up imo.

Exactly. I saw video of him training on Grimsby's Youtube channel, I've played on better quality parks. He'd flourish here IMO. 

33 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Really? I hadn't noticed. Guess players should never move up leagues then. Dwight Gayle should go back to non league.

Off topic slightly - but Birmingham have just signed the star player of Stourbridge's amazing FA Cup run, Dan Scarr. 

I'm all for promotion from lower leagues to higher, some players develop at a different rate, sometimes a manager/coach just won't like a player (IMO). 

Miroslav Klose, the highest scoring player in World Cup Finals,started his career in the 5th tier of German football & didn't sign professionally until he turned 21.

54 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I would rather get Bogle than go and spend big, the guy looks like a talent. Obviously not proven at this level but we spent 8m on Vydra... Bogle looks like he can play upfront on his own, powerful and a natural finisher.

I don't think it's an either or thing. Sometimes you need to grab a player who you're pretty confident is going to do well for you and spend a big fee (although it hasn't exactly worked out for us regarding Vydra) but you should always be on the lookout for young players in the lower leagues who you might be able to snag on a cheap deal and develop into something more. 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not having a dig at you @Mckram but do people really believe that what they say or, in this case, ask would carry any weight?

Really?

No dig taken...

I didn't particularly believe Michael Johnson was being serious, hence the haha at the end of my post.

I do think ex pro's can influence young footballers though. Johnson could easily tell Bogle about our facilities etc and that could influence his decision! 

Archived