Keogh: always got an assist in him.

Ellafella

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Keogh whipped it it & Bent hipped it in.

It came from nothing but boy did it change today's game. Good to see Derby press a team into mistakes...turned the tables on Reading who are a bit of a bogey side. Great cross Rich and great hip sway by Benty.:mellow:

I thought it was a shot that was heading for a throw in until it hit Bent and deflected in.

They all count.

56 minutes ago, Boycie said:

He's had a few forward maurading runs of late, reminds me of a soldier running towards the enemy all guns blazing without a care.

He ought to play with a huge Cuba cigar in between his teeth when he makes them runs.

It reminds me of a horse that's thrown his rider of and gone off on one.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

He's had a few forward maurading runs of late, reminds me of a soldier running towards the enemy all guns blazing without a care.

He ought to play with a huge Cuba cigar in between his teeth when he makes them runs.

Very good. 

On 1/22/2017 at 09:03, Ellafella said:

Keogh whipped it it & Bent hipped it in.

It came from nothing but boy did it change today's game. Good to see Derby press a team into mistakes...turned the tables on Reading who are a bit of a bogey side. Great cross Rich and great hip sway by Benty.:mellow:

Hip! :lol:

Also:

Derby County boss says this player is the best centre back in the Championship

Steve McClaren believes Derby County skipper Richard Keogh is the best centre back in the Championship.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-says-this-player-is-the-best-centre-back-in-the-championship/story-30079025-detail/story.html#1KSqq9pRD3fyWDWJ.99

24 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Also:

Steve McClaren believes Derby County skipper Richard Keogh is the best centre back in the Championship.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-says-this-player-is-the-best-centre-back-in-the-championship/story-30079025-detail/story.html#1KSqq9pRD3fyWDWJ.99

with Alex Pearce as 2nd best :ph34r:

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Also:

I think it's debatable whether or not he is the best CB in the division (certainly up there though) but there isn't a doubt in mind that he's the best CB in the division for a side who wants to play football and play out from the back. You just don't find CBs with his passing ability and ability to bring the ball out of defence at this level.

33 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think it's debatable whether or not he is the best CB in the division (certainly up there though) but there isn't a doubt in mind that he's the best CB in the division for a side who wants to play football and play out from the back. You just don't find CBs with his passing ability and ability to bring the ball out of defence at this level.

One time I saw it go wrong - against Man U in the cup .. he did one Keogh crazy horse surge and it worked a treat. few minutes later he tried it again and I can still see Fallaini anticipating it and racing across to close the gap and taking it off his toes.. you could see the thought train that good players have .. Hey ! you've done that once, I am not falling for it again LOL. They almost slapped  hands when he'd be dispossessed.. It was nice mutual respect.

Those runs though are very useful to our attacking momentum. I am hoping De Saart can grow to do similar leaving us a little less exposed. GT could do it although no one is quite like crazy horse !

22 minutes ago, jono said:

One time I saw it go wrong - against Man U in the cup .. he did one Keogh crazy horse surge and it worked a treat. few minutes later he tried it again and I can still see Fallaini anticipating it and racing across to close the gap and taking it off his toes.. you could see the thought train that good players have .. Hey ! you've done that once, I am not falling for it again LOL. They almost slapped  hands when he'd be dispossessed.. It was nice mutual respect.

Those runs though are very useful to our attacking momentum. I am hoping De Saart can grow to do similar leaving us a little less exposed. GT could do it although no one is quite like crazy horse !

Sometimes it will come unstuck or he will lose possession (also your example was against Man Utd in a game we were struggling to get out of our own half so I give a little more slack to him for getting caught out doing it) but I think the times that it costs us are completely outweighed by the benefit of him doing it, particularly against defensively compact teams where his runs will often get the opposing midfield out of position. What's important is the DM has to be positionally aware enough to keep their position when he's charging up the pitch (i.e. not gallop up there with him) and anticipate the times when they need to drop into the gap he's just left to keep our shape at the back. There was a couple of good examples of this from Birmingham game if you go back and watch it, where Keogh would carry the ball forward so Pearce would order Johnson to fill in the gap rather than going with him. 

Personally I like that we have a CB that can do it and I think we need our DM to be able to do it to an extent too, having both able to do it adds an air of unpredictability to our build-up play and really make a difference in breaking down opposition. They key from our side is both Keogh and the DM being tactically aware enough to know when to do it and when they need to maintain their position. 

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Also:

Nice to see the majority of Derby fans don't think he's the best out there. Way to show support for your players - the most (only) consistent Derby player for the last 3 seasons. 

Archived