Another very poor transfer window

Ramdoc

Just heard McClaren interview, we've missed out on a couple who'd definitely improve us, so we'll go with what we've got unless something pops up.

I'm guessing the two are Lansbury and Martin, but it's good to hear that we're not buying for the sake of it, which we've done far too much of recently.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not signing Lansbury was disappointing but Fawaz was unlikely to sell him to Derby. The Hearts right back who suffered a serious injury in December was very unfortunate.

I would still like to know who sanctioned the loan of our top striker without a recall clause. It was absolute madness!

Other than the aforementioned I can't see that Derby have missed anyone of substance. At least we can look forward to the return of Johnson, Butterfield, Anya, Christie and Blackman. Brighton ,Wednesday, and Reading all had players sent off this weekend which won't help their causes.

6 hours ago, LazloW said:

Nicely encapsulates my own feelings on this and many other posts.

Not sure if I'm imagining it, but there seems to have been a recent influx of new posters with, shall we say, extreme(ly negative) views.

Gumps

On 21 January 2017 at 11:55, Inverurie Ram said:

I heard we're trying to sign Donald Trump, and some young new kids on the block, with surnames Lewis & Harkes and some American bunch that nearly bought Notts Forest are going to buy us instead, and we will all be singing Zippy De Do Dah in the stands by February and drinking all that American Beer that Eddie drinks, and before we know it, we will of signed God and turning the football into a rugby ball, and calling it an American one and tossing the thing between our legs and shouting Hup, Hup, Hup.........yep it's the end of the world or we could just accept another home defeat against Reading!

Or neither.

To be fair if we get our act together which we have been doing under mac then the players we have are good enough for top six

its better than panic buying... in hindsighg when mac left the first time & clement came in then pearson all we needed was one or two quality additions not an overhaul 

understand butters & johnson buys due to injury but other than a handful of players we havent improved on playing staff since the playoff final under mac & them improvements such as ince were originally brough in by mac

13 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Anya

blackman

vydra

butterfield

Johnson

Olsson [did we buy the wrong one]

camara

30 million or there abouts WASTED.NONE OF IT BY MCLAREN.

Think that the olsson one's a bit harsh given we were down to bare bones in that position - I didn't think we signed him to improve the squad.

The rest - fair enough. 

1 hour ago, swiftur said:

Anya

blackman

vydra

butterfield

Johnson

Olsson [did we buy the wrong one]

camara

30 million or there abouts WASTED.NONE OF IT BY MCLAREN.

I am no fan of most of them but I believe you are being very harsh. Butterfield Johnson and Olson have all contributed positively I also believe Vydra will.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am no fan of most of them but I believe you are being very harsh. Butterfield Johnson and Olson have all contributed positively I also believe Vydra will.

I hoped Butterfield come good but am very disappointed with him,johnson as well. forgot Shackell earlier, why buy him back for 3 million!!!.why did pearce have to wait so long for a regular game.

On 1/21/2017 at 12:10, RamNut said:

which deals would we agree with?

carson  june 2015 free - i wasn't excited by the signing even though i thought Grant was rubbish. I would probably have gone for bentley but carson has done very well. 

Weale - august 2016 nil - stupid blockhead deal. Its a no from me.

Christie - july 2914 £250k - yes. Spotted him playing for coventry and thought this was a good value deal at the time.

Shackell- july 2015 - £3m - not a good fee for a 32 yr old but i would have done the deal as he seemed certain to solve our defensive frailties, and for one season he did exactly that. Not looking such a great deal now.

Baird - june 2015 free - another player who was a short term 32 yr old - i wouldn't have signed him but i can understand why we did.

Pearce - june 2015 free - why Shackell and Pearce? - i'm sure we thought we were going to be selling keogh. Strange one. If we were keeping keogh and signing shackell, then i wouldn't have signed Pearce, but he was clearly good value for a freebie and shows that there were always better options out there than Albentosa. He's done well so comes into the same catagory as Carson.

Olsson - Jan 2016 £500k - not a player i had ever really noticed. Ok signing but not one i'd have thought of. Ambivalent.

Anya - august 2016 £4m - at 29 years of age? Another stupid blockhead signing. Old players who rely on speed have dodgy hamstrings. 17 starts for watford the previous season? Bad one.

Ince - july 2015 £4.75m - 23 years old - the right age but  i wouldn't have paid that fee at that time. with hindsight transfer fees were rocketting. Still would be a no from me. Maybe he is proving his value now. Hope so.

Johnson - august 2015 £6m - 28 year old at the time. No. Too expensive. Despite reinventing himself as a good holding midfielder i think we signed a dud.

Butterfield - august 2015 £4m - this is another Olsson category signing for me - not a player i knew much about. 25year old at the time. Due to the injuries to hughes and bryson, i might ultimately have been persuaded to pay a million over the odds to sign him. He looked great when he first came. Looks duff now. Hopefully he can come good again and remember we play towards the goal. Journeyman for a reason?

Thorne - july 2014 - £3m - yes yes yes yes yes. Was just a name before the loan. After the loan our entire existence seemed to depend on signing George. Tragic series of severe injuries but its still a yes.

Bent - june 2016 nil - 31 years old at the time. Its a no from me. Huge wages. Doesn't really suit the system. Was never going to be happy as a reserve. No.

Camara - jan 2016 - £1.5m. I can understand our brief foray into europe looking for value, however as i said at the time, this has Mo camara's mits all over it and he has a dreadful track record as a scout. Also the french league isn't really that great. For every payet and mahrez there are a dozen camara's. Its a no from me simply because i wouldn't back mo camara as a scout but i understand why we did.

Blackman - jan 2016 - £3m? - no simply because he hadn't done enough and surely we weren't that desperate. Now he is here i would like him to be given a chance otherwise what was the point?

Vydra - august 2016 - £8m - no. I never rated him previously and that is a huge fee. He doesn't suit our 433 but at the time we were going to scrap that system and that team. Its still a no but actually i like him as a player more than i did. Just not for us in a 433. Another blackman, having signed him he should be given a fair chance.

Nugent - jan 2017 - £2.5m for a 31 year old. No no no. How many times do we make the same mistake. Too old. Isn't likely to suit the system. We already got three strikers in the same catagory. When he played for Preston YES - but not now.

Weimann - july 2015 £2m - same as vydra. Second striker when we don't play 442. Not a bad price. Good age. Obviously someone thought it was worth a gamble and maybe it was. 

I stopped reading when you said Ince wasn't worth the fee we paid.  With some of the fees being paid this season, he's been an absolute f***in' steal!!!

Archived