Medication phobia / amoxicillin ?

Tony Le Mesmer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I'm allergic to it,much to the amusement of the mrs several years ago when I turned into a blotchy marsh mellow man.

Don't see an issue or alternative to the anti biotics for the abscess.

Don't envy you though,makes me wince thinking about it.

It wasn't serious though was it john? Like struggling to breathe or anything ? Just purely blotches and skin related stuff?

On 20/01/2017 at 23:23, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'll keep it brief. First of all has anyone taken amoxicillin penicillin and had side effects?

Secondly, anyone out there petrified of popping prescribed pills due not knowing if you'll suffer terrible side effects?

If so how do you manage?

First - yes and yes. I don't plan to take it again 

Second - No 

7 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

First - yes and yes. I don't plan to take it again 

Second - No 

Bob. Just interested in how you manage to be so unconcerned about taking new medications especially if you've had side effects already?

I wish I was like that. Just pop them and not even give it a second thought. I'm usually hanging around waiting for impending demise to kick in once it's down the hatch.

8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Bob. Just interested in how you manage to be so unconcerned about taking new medications especially if you've had side effects already?

I wish I was like that. Just pop them and not even give it a second thought. I'm usually hanging around waiting for impending demise to kick in once it's down the hatch.

Side effects are very unlikely to occur otherwise the drug probably wouldn't be out there, and the effects of not taking the medication are likely to be worse than any potential side effects. Get 'em down you son 

44 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Side effects are very unlikely to occur otherwise the drug probably wouldn't be out there, and the effects of not taking the medication are likely to be worse than any potential side effects. Get 'em down you son 

Just got to firm up summat with the quacks tomorrow then I'm doing just that. They're goin' down. Like Forest.

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just got to firm up summat with the quacks tomorrow then I'm doing just that. They're goin' down. Like Forest.

Tony never ,ever read the side effects ,my old man bless him used to read them and lo and behold he got them .After a while I used to take them out before giving them to him ,voila no symptoms.It works the other way round with the placebo effect powerful thing is the mind . 

On 20/01/2017 at 23:23, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'll keep it brief. First of all has anyone taken amoxicillin penicillin and had side effects?

Secondly, anyone out there petrified of popping prescribed pills due not knowing if you'll suffer terrible side effects?

If so how do you manage?

First, No

Second, I'm happy to take any pills that are prescribed to me by my doctor, there again I'll have to be, the number I have to take each day now.

The Memsahib's mum used to be violently reactive to penicillin (full-blown anaphylaxis) but there were other antibiotics her body would tolerate.

Just can't bring myself to take them. After another weekend of agony. Having this phobia is awful. It's like doing a parachute jump. You jump and once you've jumped you are at the mercy of risk. Will your parachute open? I take the tablet and am one of the unlucky ones who has an severe immediate anaphylactic reaction?

You just don't know. I can put up with all the other side effects but the risk, unlikely risk of this has created a barrier I just cannot overcome.

Dentist again in the morning to see about non penicillin based antibiotics.

1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just can't bring myself to take them. After another weekend of agony. Having this phobia is awful. It's like doing a parachute jump. You jump and once you've jumped you are at the mercy of risk. Will your parachute open? I take the tablet and am one of the unlucky ones who has an severe immediate anaphylactic reaction?

You just don't know. I can put up with all the other side effects but the risk, unlikely risk of this has created a barrier I just cannot overcome.

Why don't you sit in the hospital car park and take them, that way if the worse happens you'll only be 4 hrs from treatment?

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I know it probably won't help but my missus is allergic to penicillin and for that reason they give her amoxicillin instead. She's totally fine with it, never had problems.

They've seen your medical notes, they know what they're giving you and what you can have after all these years. The disclaimer side effects are incredibly rare, otherwise they wouldn't make it through clinical trials. With amoxicillin, the worst that'll happen is you might itch for a bit with a rash or perhaps just a bit of stomach upset. Even that's very rare. And even so, it's surely worth it to get rid of the pain.

You won't be allergic to this. This is what they give people who're allergic to penicillin who can't have that. They may actually have identified a penicillin allergy and that's why you have this.

43 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I know it probably won't help but my missus is allergic to penicillin and for that reason they give her amoxicillin instead. She's totally fine with it, never had problems.

They've seen your medical notes, they know what they're giving you and what you can have after all these years. The disclaimer side effects are incredibly rare, otherwise they wouldn't make it through clinical trials. With amoxicillin, the worst that'll happen is you might itch for a bit with a rash or perhaps just a bit of stomach upset. Even that's very rare. And even so, it's surely worth it to get rid of the pain.

You won't be allergic to this. This is what they give people who're allergic to penicillin who can't have that. They may actually have identified a penicillin allergy and that's why you have this.

Cheers Tombo. Amoxicillin IS penicillin though. There are alternatives that don't contain penicillin though and that's what I'll see the dentist about. Maybe taking one of those instead with less stark side effects.

Reveldevil has a point though. I said to someone earlier on when I was talking about it that a bit of the worry is about actually getting to the hospital IF I do suffer an anaphylactic shock. If I sat in A&E and took one then I'd be in the right place.

Having this sort of phobia is doing my head in but it's a phobia. There's not much I can do about it but complain about medical professionals who just don't seem to understand.

44 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Cheers Tombo. Amoxicillin IS penicillin though. There are alternatives that don't contain penicillin though and that's what I'll see the dentist about. Maybe taking one of those instead with less stark side effects.

Interestingly I just looked this up and it is a type of penicillin, you're right.

As I say, the doctors prescribe my girlfriend amoxicillin because she apparently has a penicillin allergy. That's odd. Maybe it's not penicillin directly then, maybe some other part of it that amoxicillin doesn't have, I don't know...

Archived