Like/Dislike

David

Likes/Dislikes  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted couldn't give a monkey's, but the more I think about it the more I think it should be likes only.

I see likes as a convenient way to stop the forum being flooded with "lol" and "I agree" posts. I think a dislike button would encourage intellectual laziness. If someone disagrees with you as things stand they have to construct a counter argument rather than just pushing a button.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Dislikes would be anonymous 

Used to be a rating system of 1-5 on BBC 606, it's quite disheartening when you spend a while putting your thoughts into a lengthy article for somebody to rate it 1 quicker than they could read it simply cos they dislike the poster. 

I'm too sensitive to have dislikes. But if you have to have them, don't make them anonymous. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Both but could both be displayed?.

I'd rather see that someone divides opinion maybe and ends up with +1000 and -1000, rather than an apathetic zero, as they cancel each other out.

Would be seen as an overall number which would go into negative if it received more dislikes than likes

IMG_0119.PNG

39 minutes ago, David said:

Briefly mentioned in another topic the possibility of adding a dislike button to posts, threw a poll up to gauge feedback on the idea. 

Like buttons only. 

46 minutes ago, Anon said:

I voted couldn't give a monkey's, but the more I think about it the more I think it should be likes only.

I see likes as a convenient way to stop the forum being flooded with "lol" and "I agree" posts. I think a dislike button would encourage intellectual laziness. If someone disagrees with you as things stand they have to construct a counter argument rather than just pushing a button.

Lol.

I agree.

I voted like only. My initial thought was "great, a dislike button!", but after reading other comments I have to say that I prefer things to stay as they are. Whenever I see a notification at the top of the screen I open it up to see if someone has liked a comment of mine, but I think that if you start getting dislikes as others have said they could be used to bully posters. If you disagree with someone's comments surely it's better to make a constructive comment about it (or just put ?? if you prefer),at least the original poster knows what your thoughts are and not  just a dislike. Having said this you could always do a trial run and ask for people's views after using the option.

39 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I voted like only. My initial thought was "great, a dislike button!", but after reading other comments I have to say that I prefer things to stay as they are. Whenever I see a notification at the top of the screen I open it up to see if someone has liked a comment of mine, but I think that if you start getting dislikes as others have said they could be used to bully posters. If you disagree with someone's comments surely it's better to make a constructive comment about it (or just put ?? if you prefer),at least the original poster knows what your thoughts are and not  just a dislike. Having said this you could always do a trial run and ask for people's views after using the option.

Bang on, people should make an effort to post, if they have a point about a post.  Some posters on here put a lot of effort, research and time into posts and I think a dislike would errode that kind of post just because someone cannot be bothered to read it and disliked it because it was too long and/or had big words in it. If you disagree, reply, don't be lazy and unconstructive and hit a dislike option.

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I hate the negativity of "red thumbs" on the internet. My mam always used to say "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all"

This.

Agree 100%.

We are all grown ups but myself personally having issues with self esteem the negativity would actually deter me from posting.

Obviously not everyone is going to agree / like everything that everyone posts and disagreeing with others isn't a problem so long as it's done in a respectful manner but it's far easier to criticise than praise and such a change would facilitate this trend IMO.

Keep as it is.

Archived