England Cricket 2017

PistoldPete2

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must say I'm disappointed in Root. Cook stood up and did the work, then Root basically played for a draw as soon as Warner and Smith came together. Pathetic stuff, basically tried to bore them into mistakes... you don't do that when you need 8 wickets are nearly 150 runs ahead. It eventually did work for Warner, about 3 sessions to late though, and ultimately Australia get an easy draw. Pathetic work from him as captain this series. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Any comments about MCG pitch? I'm not sure this is conducive for the future of test match cricket. Flat as a pancake.. It's the first of the test matches I've nodded off in. 

The key problem is that the pitch didn't really deteriorate. It was slow, but there was a bit of uneven bounce even on day 1. The key issue was that it didn't really develop from there, and batting on day 5 didn't seem all that far off batting on day 1. 

That said, I've seen far worse pitches. The biggest issue was the England just didn't attack on day 4 when they needed to. When the match needed Root to drive home England's advantage he just let it drift, and that ultimately ruined any hope of a result. Without the rain, and England actually bothering to not just defend to Smith and Warner, it would have been hard for this match to not have a result.

Archived