England Cricket 2017

PistoldPete2

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Root's done very well as he gets exposed too often by the top order. 

If he can sort out an opening partnership as effective as strauss and cook then a lot of other pieces could fall into place.

I heard Geoff Boycott tonight saying he hopes Root will go in at number 4 now...just to give him that bit of breathing space between innings.

His mate Agger's agreed with him, and wondered how Cook usually managed to do so well opening...which is a fair point.

On 13/02/2017 at 21:34, DerbyMark said:

I heard Geoff Boycott tonight saying he hopes Root will go in at number 4 now...just to give him that bit of breathing space between innings.

His mate Agger's agreed with him, and wondered how Cook usually managed to do so well opening...which is a fair point.

Is that why Boycott was a cr@p captain cos he had to open? Or because he's not very good with people?

On 13/02/2017 at 21:34, DerbyMark said:

Graeme Smith's average wasn't bad and he was captain in all but a handful of his 100-plus tests.

When Boycott says something, I'm inclined to think the opposite must be true. Especially when establishment yes-man Agnew agrees with him.

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Graeme Smith's average wasn't bad and he was captain in all but a handful of his 100-plus tests.

When Boycott says something, I'm inclined to think the opposite must be true. Especially when establishment yes-man Agnew agrees with him.

He's not everybody's cup of tea I get that but a lot of it makes good sense..

Just the way he comes across at times.

On 19/02/2017 at 12:29, Posh Ram said:

I think Root will definitely bat 4. Our order should be something like:
1) Cook
2) Hameed
3) Jennings
4) Root
5) Ali
6) Stokes
7) Bairstow
8) Buttler
9) Woakes
10) Broad
11) Anderson

Agree with the personnel, but #5 Bairstow #7 Buttler (or Billings) #8 Moeen would be my preferred order.

12 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Agree with the personnel, but #5 Bairstow #7 Buttler (or Billings) #8 Moeen would be my preferred order.

My only worry with that would be - can Bairstow keep well when batting that high up the order? He seems to find keeping hard as is. Moeen averages something like 46 the past year, good enough to bat 5.

13 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

My only worry with that would be - can Bairstow keep well when batting that high up the order? He seems to find keeping hard as is. Moeen averages something like 46 the past year, good enough to bat 5.

When Moeen bats #8, he bats like a #5

When Moeen bats #5, he bats like a #8

:)

Ps. I'm giving the gloves to Buttler/Billings

16 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Alec Stewart used to open the batting, keep wicket and captain the side, I believe.  My boss thought it was odd he didn't open the bowling as well.

• 2 months later...

Not exactly England, but Ben Stokes has just scored an absolutely magnificent century for Rising Pune Supergiants in the IPL. Also, for the same team, Imran Tahir took 3 wickets, so good news for Derbyshire as well as England.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Good win tonight against the saffers. Even after losing the toss.

England now scored 300+ 9 times in last couple of years. More than any other odi side.

And with our most in-form batsman (Bairstow) not in the side!

Odd to say it but Buttler must be getting a bit concerned.

Good performance by England but boy did South Africa give their wickets away!

Archived