Josh Gordon

BathRam72

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'd prefer to experiment with some lower league signings than spend 3 million on Blackman and up to 6 million on Butterfield.

I keep saying this, but players like Rickie Lambert, Andre Grey, Charlie Austin, Rhodes, Tim Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Deli Ali etc etc, were all playing lower league football and someone took a chance. 

We could learn a lot.

Yes they did - to a degree. Firstly the Blackman signing as we know was totally bizarre as he had no pedigree in front of goal prior to his purple patch as small as it was last season.... but to list players is ridiculous... there are 90 league clubs.... in the U.K... there is life beyond the UK..... the issue I have is that it appears as though our scouting network is not up to the challenge... I'm all for experimenting but the question is: have we got the time to experiment on the if buts and maybes? In commercial terms this is a risk that we will not be taking and it makes sense. Equally we don't want to pay over inflated prices so it is a balance that we must achieve. But to reel off players like Lambert (btw before his spell at Southampton was a journeyman), Rhodes was capable at Huddersfield, Cahill had played years at Millwall, Jagielka at Sheff Utd, Ali at MK so all clubs that arguably are not in the same class as us "at that time" so to them where was the gamble?? They had little or a reduced level of risk so could technically afford to go down that route... if we are to challenge for a top 6 or even promotion we need proven footballers with a pedigree of success and the mental strength to succeed - to do this we have to invest wisely but quickly and/or have plans b and c for when we have injuries within our existing squad... 

all good though

8 minutes ago, feisty said:

See mackworthram post. Quite a few who have made it. DJ Campbell another who did a good job

You are actually stating DJ Campbell... really? Yes he went to Birmingham city..... again arguably at the time a club who got caught up in the media following his decent scoring in the fa cup... don't you remember how absolutely useless he was when he was with us???

7 minutes ago, MaccRam said:

That Andre Gray chaps not doing to bad in the Premier league.

I agree but the league is hardly flooded with these players nor is the champ and that's the point... balance and right time - we need proven quality to get us challenging and then we can add touches and experiment but we have to accept that sometimes players just don't make the grade at a higher level... if you are going to make it it's widely known that you will be in the higher clubs from an earlier age - not mit twenties... these are facts I'm afraid...

33 minutes ago, needles said:

Back the gaffer with lower league signings. A lot of Cloughie's did a job. 

There's no guarantees when you pay a big fee for a Premier drop out (see Weimann). If the gaffer rates a player, doesn't matter where they come from.

Good ol'nige.... bring him back eh? Unreal

1 hour ago, feisty said:

Leicester really messed up when they tried that Vardy experiment eh.... And remember when we got that Buxton chap. ..and Malcolm Christie...

Ok. The chances of success may be low but B4 is right.  Some come good and why not give them a chance in reserves first and see

Omg one player in vardy... he's pulled up trees goal scoring for one season, not two or three but fair play to the guy... Buxton... had heart and grit but wasn't quality whichever way you look at it so come on be real and as for Christie yes he did ok for us many years ago from nuneaton but was hardly prolific and can hardly be used as a major example or barometer of success can he.... not quite a baiano, wanchope, sturridge etc

I don't agree that we only need to sign proven quality as what makes a team successful is blend. There is a place in every team for the player with heart, and that often comes from those who know this is their big chance, their opportunity to 'step up' and make their mark on the game. 

I think one of the reasons some of our most recent signings get such a lot of criticism from some 'supporters' is that they know what they are capable of producing elsewhere and judge them on that. 

I don't want my club to be one of those that just pulls together a 'team' of expensive journeymen, I  want us to build a team that is a mix of skill, heart, hope and most of all a desire to play for the shirt. It might take longer but it will be worth it.

18 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

I'm all for experimenting but the question is: have we got the time to experiment on the if buts and maybes?

They had little or a reduced level of risk so could technically afford to go down that route... if we are to challenge for a top 6 or even promotion we need proven footballers with a pedigree of success and the mental strength to succeed - to do this we have to invest wisely but quickly and/or have plans b and c for when we have injuries within our existing squad... 

Sorry, have I missed something here? What time limit are we supposedly working under? Is a bomb going to go off if we're not in the play offs at the end of the season? Also, I really doubt that buying a young player for the development squad is going to impact our other business. "We were close to getting the Guedioura deal done, but Watford asked for an extra £50k and we'd already spent it on Gordon."

Just now, Anon said:

Sorry, have I missed something here? What time limit are we supposedly working under? Is a bomb going to go off if we're not in the play offs at the end of the season? Also, I really doubt that buying a young player for the development squad is going to impact our other business. "We were close to getting the Guedioura deal done, but Watford asked for an extra £50k and we'd already spent it on Gordon."

The time limit of the gulf that the prem is producing in financial terms... its basic business you might want to understand that first and that these days we are a business

58 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Yeh there's loads of Ian wrights that have made it.... just how long ago was that? 5,10 or 20 years ago?

Is Jamie Vardy recent enough for you?

17 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

The time limit of the gulf that the prem is producing in financial terms... its basic business you might want to understand that first and that these days we are a business

The day I accept that is the day I stop watching football.

Also, it's basic business to chuck all the money you can possibly muster at transfers and the first team in order to play with the big boys? I had no idea you were a graduate of the Peter Ridsdale School of Economics.

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

The day I accept that is the day I stop watching football.

Also, it's basic business to chuck all the money you can possibly muster at transfers and the first team in order to play with the big boys? I had no idea you were a graduate of the Peter Ridsdale School of Economics.

You'd best stop watching then or actually wake up and have a reality check pal... and yes I know what I'm talking about

1 hour ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Good ol'nige.... bring him back eh? Unreal

Err. No.

This isn't a difficult concept. It's about what the player can do, not where he comes from.

3 hours ago, Sir Ramalot said:

we need proven quality to get us challenging

So that would have ruled out the 2013/14 team that so very nearly got promoted - which is serious "challenging" is it not?

Buxton, Eustace, Bryson, Russell, Hendrick, Hughes, etc were far from proven quality when they were signed or broke into the team, yet they were the backbone of the team that played some lovely football and blew most teams out of the water with Barca-esque brilliance.

Archived