African Cup of Nations (CAN)

Van der MoodHoover

Caught a couple of halves on Eurosport  (currently gazing at Mali v Egypt ) and have to say it's pretty poor.

Lowish quality football,  ground not full, terrible pitch not helping.

So far as I have seen scores it seems mainly 0-0s and 1-0s.

Thought I d open a thread to invite comment /observations on any games forum members might catch.

Mali look strong but not skilful. Egypt only have salah and are predictable. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A load of arrogant colonisers criticising African football without educating themselves on the realities of the situation. I used to be like you, but now I'm enlightened I know that the only reason Egypt aren't one of the major powers of world football is because the evil British once had a colony there. I think rather than actually watching the games and judging them on their individual merits you all should start furiously virtue signalling about the potential quality of African football.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A load of arrogant colonisers criticising African football without educating themselves on the realities of the situation. I used to be like you, but now I'm enlightened I know that the only reason Egypt aren't one of the major powers of world football is because the evil British once had a colony there. I think rather than actually watching the games and judging them on their individual merits you all should start furiously virtue signalling about the potential quality of African football.

Agree to some extent but there's no getting away from the fact that much of the football standard is poor. It's not that they don't have some good players - it's the terrible infrastructure, and corruption plays a part. It's telling that the most populous country in Africa- Nigeria - aren't represented this year.  Pity because most of the sub-Saharan countries are footy mad with Arsenal and Chelsea favourites.

Oh and to be pedantic Egypt was never a British colony though we had 'Advisers' attached to each ministry. 

Now there's some annoying tinny background music coming from the crowd. Like someone has brought in a 1990's guetto blaster! Turn it off man!

Watching in mute now. Not sure I can watch any more of this crap even though BF have just this minute scored.

Give me Skelmersdale v Ilkeston over this tripe.

Who are the top teams in Africa at the moment?

Could the lack of top African players developing be partly down to the fact that top European clubs now take kids so young (I read in the Times this morning about a player Man Utd took into their academy from DR Congo at 8!) rather than them using countries like Belgium and Holland as a stepping stone?

Archived