Not Reinstating Alex Pearce

Ninos

So you give our de facto leader and star defender a break versus West Brom, Shacks comes in does well versus an aerial bombardment. Then at Leeds you let Shackell keep the spot. Raised eyebrows from the Pearce admirers. 

We lose 0-1 on a player free in the box. I'd like to think AP would have been there. Was it an objectionable decision to essentially be dropped after you being rested when you haven't put a foot wrong? Will he be reinstated next game? Will the dropping  impacthis morale? What do others think? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ninos said:

So you give our de facto leader and star defender a break versus West Brom, Shacks comes in does well versus an aerial bombardment. Then at Leeds you let Shackell keep the spot. Raised eyebrows from the Pearce admirers. 

We lose 0-1 on a player free in the box. I'd like to think AP would have been there. Was it an objectionable decision to essentially be dropped after you being rested when you haven't put a foot wrong? Will he be reinstated next game? Will the dropping  impacthis morale? What do others think? 

Watch the goal. 

Bradley Johnson loses his man. Shackell marks his.

I'm not Shackell's biggest fan, he can't pass further than Keogh, the left back, or the holding midfielder. Which, would be fine, but it happens so slowly that it gets us in trouble when we want to play out from the back.

But Shackell or Pearce, it wouldn't matter in terms of that goal, as its not his man.

Shackell deserved to keep his place but it probably should have been at left back because he has played many a season there for Norwich and we needed someone there not a right footed reserve midfielder who was hideously exposed - yes we got away with it at WBA ( again hideously exposed) Pearce will be back but there is nothing wrong with shackell's defending but none of them are franz Beckenbauer with the ball at their feet.

Someone told during the match that Leeds had scored from corners in their last 3 games before us. With how well Shackell did against WBA with their aerial bombardment and the fact we conceded against Norwich from a cross, with Oliviera standing in between Pearce and Keogh and I can see the idea behind having Shackell in for the Leeds game.

As with @Animal is a Ram I am far from Shackell's biggest fan, but it wouldn't have made much difference for the goal. However, I do think it would have helped our ball retention slightly, as we would have been able to move the ball quicker from the back, instead of going Keogh to Sheackell, back and forth, to Baird to Keogh to Shackell to Hanson to their player.

Well I sat here after the game, closed my eyes and replayed the set piece in my head with Pearce playing, he cleared the ball away with a weak header which landed to the feet of Rob Green who flicked the ball up, turned and hit a Andy Carroll style bicycle kick into the top corner.

It was an unbelieveable goal, what Rob Green was doing I'll never know, I can only assume he forgot we haven't played the second half yet so went up for the last minute glory.

Sadly I kept by virtual virtual reality headset on and straight after kick off Pearce went in 2 footed against Wood, ref sent him off, several players had to drag him off the pitch where Shackell was waiting, Pearce took a running kick and smashed Shackell so hard in the balls he fell back and wiped out the subs bench.

I must have virtually visualised an issue between the pair where they don't get on, a similar relationship to Ince and Martin if you like.

Wasnt a happy ending, Pearce had an additional 5 match ban and £1.2m fine which saw him leave the club to pay off, went to Shanghai United as he was offered 800k per week.

I'm glad McClaren started Shackell.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Well I sat here after the game, closed my eyes and replayed the set piece in my head with Pearce playing, he cleared the ball away with a weak header which landed to the feet of Rob Green who flicked the ball up, turned and hit a Andy Carroll style bicycle kick into the top corner.

It was an unbelieveable goal, what Rob Green was doing I'll never know, I can only assume he forgot we haven't played the second half yet so went up for the last minute glory.

Sadly I kept by virtual virtual reality headset on and straight after kick off Pearce went in 2 footed against Wood, ref sent him off, several players had to drag him off the pitch where Shackell was waiting, Pearce took a running kick and smashed Shackell so hard in the balls he fell back and wiped out the subs bench.

I must have virtually visualised an issue between the pair where they don't get on, a similar relationship to Ince and Martin if you like.

Wasnt a happy ending, Pearce had an additional 5 match ban and £1.2m fine which saw him leave the club to pay off, went to Shanghai United as he was offered 800k per week.

NURSE!

What he's having, please

33 minutes ago, David said:

Any footage?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Got to blame someone - might as well be the manager.

46 minutes ago, David said:

Is that the match report from the Daily Sport? :thumbsup:

Silly to break up the Keogh/Pearce partnership, irrelevant of how well Shackell played at WBA.

Don't know why we've not tried Shackell at left back.

If we going to persist with Baird & Hanson short-term then we should switch young Hanson to RB and the experienced Baird to LB.

Archived