Vydra

RamNut

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting reading posts saying Vydra can do this and that and he is a really good player etc. Setting aside what he may have achieved in the past, I am genuinely intrigued as to what people have seen (which games) in terms of the players ability and contribution.

53 minutes ago, europia said:

Interesting reading posts saying Vydra can do this and that and he is a really good player etc. Setting aside what he may have achieved in the past, I am genuinely intrigued as to what people have seen (which games) in terms of the players ability and contribution.

In truth I've seen very little since he's been here other than one or two very clever pieces of skill including a bit of ball retention under pressure and a few decent runs. The reason I think he has something is because of the precise reason you dismiss, I have seen him in action in the past and he has been dynamic. The boy can do it AND I think he will.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

In truth I've seen very little since he's been here other than one or two very clever pieces of skill including a bit of ball retention under pressure and a few decent runs. The reason I think he has something is because of the precise reason you dismiss, I have seen him in action in the past and he has been dynamic. The boy can do it AND I think he will.

Its a bit like playing in the FA Cup though, if you're any good you do it consistently - not just raise your game for one match.

Seen nothing from Vydra to show he has the ability to be consistently any good.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Its a bit like playing in the FA Cup though, if you're any good you do it consistently - not just raise your game for one match.

Seen almost nothing from Vydra to show he has the ability to be consistently any good.

I'd like to give him a consistent run of four or five straight 90mins to see if he can be consistent. Not totally disagreeing with you I just think I can see something there.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd like to give him a consistent run of four or five straight 90mins to see if he can be consistent. Not totally disagreeing with you I just think I can see something there.

the problem is 3 or 4 games, without goals whilst he finds his is feet could be  devastating to our season and league position...

he has started in half our games already with little end product so its not as though he hasnt already had a run at it.

20 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

What do you see in him DEL? Where do you think he'll fit in our system?

He's quality player and I'd put him up Front than Bent\Nugent for now. 

23 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

i think we need a bit more than 'quality player' d.e.l

what do you actually see him that will benefit derby?....im not being funny,if you have seen him play elsewhere well,what were his strengths etc,i cant find much footage of him playing at other clubs/scoring etc so im genuinely interested.

personally,ive watched him at pride park several times this season and whilst i like his strength and energy,i havent seen him contribute a lot up to now,but he must have more in his skillset that im not seeing.

35 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

We ( you, me and some others ) know he is good and I want him to work out. He has that special high class touch that you don't see every day. He has pace and does all the right things with his darting runs. There is an issue though, with how he fits our tactical set up. 

Until he learns to drop deep a bit more, or our mids start coming to him he is always going to look isolated. There is a bit of chicken and egg going on here. I do wonder why our mids can't get closer, but the counter argument is that you need a hold up striker for them to come on to. Vydra does need to come deep but even when we have been on the front foot I don't think Hughes and Butterfield have been forward thinking enough. Now that in turn could be down to a conservative back line not playing risky balls or maybe it's simply down to no GT (he of the killer guided missile pass ) ... I have a fond hope that maybe Nugent and Vydra on the pitch at the same time might work. .. 

He's no different from a player from the academy 

If you don't take your chance you can't expect a prolonged run in the team. 

Vydra has had plenty of chances, but seems unable to take them 

Until he does he cannot justify a starting place, irrespective of how much he cost

It's not enough to be a quality player. It's got to be a quality player that fits. Knowing what we'll eventually look like under McClaren do you think he'll fit? Does he have the intelligence and technique to link up with the two wide-men and midfield runners and be our main creative force in the final third? 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

It's not enough to be a quality player. It's got to be a quality player that fits. Knowing what we'll eventually look like under McClaren do you think he'll fit? Does he have the intelligence and technique to link up with the two wide-men and midfield runners and be our main creative force in the final third? 

That's it in a nutshell ... I think he is intelligent enough. I've seen him take the ball to the corner, I've seen the way he looks for opportunities. BUT .. In a competativo selection environment he ( like any player ) has to get a result when he gets a chance. I think he deserves some more chances. I am not blind and in going for Bent, early days, Mac played with what he knew, I would have done the same but right now, we are short of goals and when he who shall not be named was here Vydra found the net. He needs another few starts and a vote of confidence before we slash our wrists 

Games where Vydra has played 45 mins or more this season:

Derby 0 - 2 Newcastle            L

Derby 0 - 1 Ipswich                 L

Bristol City 1 - 1 Derby            D

Derby 1 - 2 Blackburn              L

Cardiff 0 - 2 Derby                   W

Reading 1 - 1 Derby                 D

Derby 1 - 0 Leeds                    W

Derby 0 - 0 Brentford                D

Huddersfield 1 - 0 Derby           L

Wigan 0 - 1 Derby                     W

Fulham 2 - 2 Derby                    D

Norwich 3 - 0 Derby                    L

Leeds 1 - 0 Derby                       L

With him playing more than 45mins in the game: 3 wins, 4 draws, 6 losses

Without him playing less than 45mins in the game: 8 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses

I'll admit three of those defeats came under Pearson so he can't be blamed for those, but I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that our worst peroformances have come with him on the pitch. His face doesn't fit, which is a shame given how much money we spent on him.

We either back him or let him leave.

We either need to back Vydra and start getting the team to play to him, tell him forget whats gone he's the main man, he's going to starting, we're playing him through, looking for his runs and getting Hughes/Butters/Bryson closer to him.

or

tell him it's not his fault but we're not going to be a team that plays his way and we'd rather let him move for his career and free up space in our squad.

Having him decline and make sub appearances isn't going to do anyone much good.

I'd have more faith in him than in Blackman coming good as our striker.

Nuge isn't really a hold up man, neither is Bent. If we're not getting Martin or another hold up forward in, we're not going to get that from nuge/bent, so we ultimately can't play in a way that relies on "the Martin role" anyway. 

#whathaveyoudonePearson?

why does seem to be an impossibility to get another hold up striker in martins mould in?

was he a one off,never to be repeated mutant who just happened to appear at our club?

there must be players out there who could do his role with something like success and why should we need to pay a fortune,after all,our chrissy came to us on a free transfer.

and why havent we been training our strikers in the academy to take on his role?...we knew we had problems when martin was injured two years ago so it is beyond the wit of man to ensure we have young players coming through who can replicate his play,seeing as it is so vital to the derby way and 433?

we have caused these problems for ourselves in failing to plan ahead but surely we can resolve it??

Archived