Vydra

RamNut

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vydra is just one of a number of absoloutely terrible, ill-thought-out signings we've made over the past 24 months.

We've got too many people working at DCFC in the recruitment department that simply don't have the slightest idea about how to build a successful football team.

Said it a million times. Hire me, Alpha, Sage, Cannabal, Cumbrian, Ambitious, Tombo, TheDeadlySaul, Philmycock or the many other forum members with a slight nous for football and they could have done a better job.

The recruitment team can only answer for so much.

It's a domino effect. People talk about Clough having an excellent record with us in the transfer market. It helped that he was here for almost five years and trusted with the reins, backed by stable ownership and infrastructure, philosophies and ideas that were given time and freedom to develop, and clear lines in the sand. But even he signed his fair share of duds, let's be honest.

It's professional football. It's a high-stakes sport. But still susceptible to human error, like any other profession. You won't find a scout, a manager, a coach, or an agent with a faultless track record. It happens at every club at every level.

It smacks of a lack of humility to suggest you can do a better job than paid professionals, especially if a fans' forum is your stage, not the dugout.

At the end of the day, it's probably far more accurate to suggest the poor recruitment is a reflection of the questionable way in which the club has been run in recent years. You can't just blame the recruitment team. From owner to executive level right down to the fact we've had three new managers, two caretaker managers, and a minder for one of the caretakers in the past two seasons, all that instability will trickle down and create muddled directives.

But anyway, it would be ridiculous to write Vydra off. Fortunes change quickly in football and he has been here less than six months, lest we forget. With the return of Martin and some coaching and even, dare I say, tactical flexibility, he could score 15 goals for us next season and honestly I hope those fans of ours basking in it when they are right, will simply pipe down. That they actually genuinely believe they have any more credibility than the rest of us armed with keyboards and displaying George Thorne posters on our walls seems cringeworthy.

I predicted Chelsea would win the Premier League. Must dash - need to send my CV to all 20 Premier League clubs before bed.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Vydra is just one of a number of absoloutely terrible, ill-thought-out signings we've made over the past 24 months.

We've got too many people working at DCFC in the recruitment department that simply don't have the slightest idea about how to build a successful football team.

Said it a million times. Hire me, Alpha, Sage, Cannabal, Cumbrian, Ambitious, Tombo, TheDeadlySaul, Philmycock or the many other forum members with a slight nous for football and they could have done a better job.

Only in 3rd place? Disgusting. 

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The recruitment team can only answer for so much.

It's a domino effect. People talk about Clough having an excellent record with us in the transfer market. It helped that he was here for almost five years and trusted with the reins, backed by stable ownership and infrastructure, philosophies and ideas that were given time and freedom to develop, and clear lines in the sand. But even he signed his fair share of duds, let's be honest.

It's professional football. It's a high-stakes sport. But still susceptible to human error, like any other profession. You won't find a scout, a manager, a coach, or an agent with a faultless track record. It happens at every club at every level.

It smacks of a lack of humility to suggest you can do a better job than paid professionals, especially if a fans' forum is your stage, not the dugout.

At the end of the day, it's probably far more accurate to suggest the poor recruitment is a reflection of the questionable way in which the club has been run in recent years. You can't just blame the recruitment team. From owner to executive level right down to the fact we've had three new managers, two caretaker managers, and a minder for one of the caretakers in the past two seasons, all that instability will trickle down and create muddled directives.

But anyway, it would be ridiculous to write Vydra off. Fortunes change quickly in football and he has been here less than six months, lest we forget. With the return of Martin and some coaching and even, dare I say, tactical flexibility, he could score 15 goals for us next season and honestly I hope those fans of ours basking in it when they are right, will simply pipe down. That they actually genuinely believe they have any more credibility than the rest of us armed with keyboards and displaying George Thorne posters on our walls seems cringeworthy.

I predicted Chelsea would win the Premier League. Must dash - need to send my CV to all 20 Premier League clubs before bed.

This is the idea behind 'The Derby Way' though. Continuity regardless of manager. 

I daresay we need a director of football who's in it for the long haul.

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cost next to nowt though. Sammon was the only real big money failure. 

Uttox, I am not being critical of Clough's transfer record at all.

He signed good players and bad players, like any other manager. He signed duds at a time when we were operating at a different level. They were still duds. Cheaper ones, yes, but duds all the same.

The point is how can you attribute signings like Vydra to recruitment when the recruitment is indicative of the broader picture of the club being run not as well as it could be?

It is very rare that the two don't align.

George Burley's recruitment from 04-05 is one such example. Off the pitch, we were a mess. On it, we played some of the best football I can remember.

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

This is the idea behind 'The Derby Way' though. Continuity regardless of manager. 

I daresay we need a director of football who's in it for the long haul.

Cannable, I know you are a big advocate of the Derby Way. It's a great idea in theory too. But only a pipe dream if the execution is all wrong.

In my opinion, it feels like Mel's excuse to hide behind after poor decision making from the club.

If such a philosophy is to work, I would have thought taking care to make sure your managerial appointments are aligned with your philosophies would be the first priority.

It would be like Arsenal replacing Wenger with Allardyce. Would the continuity elsewhere still matter? Or just get thrown out of the window and new blueprints handed out?

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Uttox, I am not being critical of Clough's transfer record at all.

He signed good players and bad players, like any other manager. He signed duds at a time when we were operating at a different level. They were still duds. Cheaper ones, yes, but duds all the same.

The point is how can you attribute signings like Vydra to recruitment when the recruitment is indicative of the broader picture of the club being run not as well as it could be?

It is very rare that the two don't align.

George Burley's recruitment from 04-05 is one such example. Off the pitch, we were a mess. On it, we played some of the best football I can remember.

I attribute signings like Vydra to having 4 managers in 4 years. You end up with short term panic buys rather than a policy of building for the future.

I guess that's what you're getting at Jourdan?

Vydra can be a very good player. As can Nick Blackman as can David Nugent etc. Good players are not rigidly stuck like clones to one way of playing. Good players can play full stop. We have a great squad for this level and it's the manager and his coaching teams job to get the squad playing with confidence, arrogance and skill to a system or systems he chooses. 

Will Mac get them going this season? Who knows but he has plenty of ammunition at his disposal. UTR.

2 hours ago, sage said:

It's that bit that upset me. Behind Alpha!! he's the kind of poster that could get you summoned to Moor Farm :ph34r:

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

He's so good, he got to go twice!

It's the ranting. I do it to the missus. If you keep going on and on eventually you break down others willpower. 

Kind of invited myself the second time. It's David that's "in there". And Mostyn causes trouble. 

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Vydra can be a very good player. As can Nick Blackman as can David Nugent etc. Good players are not rigidly stuck like clones to one way of playing. Good players can play full stop. We have a great squad for this level and it's the manager and his coaching teams job to get the squad playing with confidence, arrogance and skill to a system or systems he chooses. 

Will Mac get them going this season? Who knows but he has plenty of ammunition at his disposal. UTR.

I disagree. Any player can play in any position, but there are certain roles in certain systems which will get the best out of a player whereas on the other hand some roles just aren't suited.

I mean take Will Hughes. Would you play him at right back? Sure he could play there - but would he be effective? I very much doubt it. Good players only reach anywhere near their potential when they are played correctly.

Vydra can only be effective upfront in a two playing off a target man type striker. Sure he can play the lone role or on either side of a front three, but he's so ineffective it's like playing with one player less.

The idea that you can just shove 11 'good' players onto the pitch and expect them to perform is naive. 

If that wasnt the case then why bother signing defenders or holding midfielders? Just buy 11 forwards who have relatively good scoring records for the Championship and watch them go!

Vydra ...hmmm.  first of all we totally overpaid for him. At 2.5m he was a good pick up but not at 8m+! 

that said what has gone wrong? There's a lot so far ... 

Missed a hatful of easy chances including one versus leeds. He either has no killer instinct or he is on a woeful run of missing. His confidence clearly looks shaken and he seemed like he was playing with the heavy pressure of expectations from day 1

he also pretty much gives up on long balls kicked up to him or random aerial balls in the middle of the park - which is something we should not be doing anyway. But he really does just give up on a lot as though he thinks to himself: I can't win that.

But do I believe in Vydra ? Yes, here are the positives 

He has bags of speed, great touch and ball skills, makes good runs, wiley, and works his socks off like a rock star. He's a proper good footballer. He gets in scoring positions a lot. He is light years better than Weimann who literally just runs around a lot. 

Vydra coujd be the star of this league no doubt but he does need massive boost of inspiration, much better interplay up front, and some good clinical fortune in front of goal. He cannot be missing the gilt edged chances he gets.

wouldnt wrote him off at all and mcclaren needs to help him find his form and find players who can set him up well.

I think he is a good goal scorer and a good option to have, we overpaid absolutely but more worrying is that his form is consistent by this stage last year he had also only scored two goals for Reading- he needs a clever forward near him and I do think both him and Martin would have worked well together- we may get the chance but we should have seen the opportunity this season

Archived