No Fire Sale Required

Comrade 86

i dont think we need a fire sale, i agree with most of it out back four and keeper are pretty solid. I think there has been a massive over reaction to a couple of defeats and i think we are good enough to make top six 

however Newcastle and Brighton are the best in this division & how many of our players would get in their side?  Or if we made a best 11 of championship players how many of our players would be in it? 

Hughes, Ince, Carson, Keogh & Thorne maybe if fit. 

The rest like Johnson etc are decent top six standard but not the very best & we can get away with that 

On the left side & up top is where we are average, russell, wieman, camara are all average / below average wouldnt be sorry to see any of them go at the right price. 

Id like us to bring in a sako type something better than we have. We have three very good left backs just be nice to loan one in until we get them right 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

i dont think we need a fire sale, i agree with most of it out back four and keeper are pretty solid. I think there has been a massive over reaction to a couple of defeats and i think we are good enough to make top six 

however Newcastle and Brighton are the best in this division & how many of our players would get in their side?  Or if we made a best 11 of championship players how many of our players would be in it? 

The rest like Johnson etc are decent top six standard but not the very best & we can get away with that 

On the left side & up top is where we are average, russell, wieman, camara are all average / below average wouldnt be sorry to see any of them go at the right price. 

Id like us to bring in a sako type something better than we have. We have three very good left backs just be nice to loan one in until we get them right 

If we got 4 from the top 11 we'd be doing great G-Ram!

Are we sacking off this season then or are we gonna nick that play-off spot? Martin back and Hourihane and I'll be chuffed, can't see it happening, I think the wardrobe has decided to stay put for good, not fussed about Angela, and I think Russell will be on fire for the rest of the season!

25 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Are we sacking off this season then or are we gonna nick that play-off spot? Martin back and Hourihane and I'll be chuffed, can't see it happening, I think the wardrobe has decided to stay put for good, not fussed about Angela, and I think Russell will be on fire for the rest of the season!

No way Phil - we'll nail a slot and do Leeds at Wembley. It's written in the stars*

* The Daily Star :unsure:

25 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Weimann has potential I think.

Just needs to be shown the Hull Play-Off Semi-Final before he goes out. "Play like that Andreas!"

You might be right and he has played well up the middle as Villa fans told us he could, but will he get a chance at Derby? He seems a long way down the pecking order right now.

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

You might be right and he has played well up the middle as Villa fans told us he could, but will he get a chance at Derby? He seems a long way down the pecking order right now.

I agree, he does. Don't know why though

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

This is exactly our problem IMO, over the years since the playoff final what we've built through our transfers is a huge squad of players that are good quality championship players, and can perform on their day in this division- but they have too many really poor off days to have the consistency of a team to gain promotion- and that is why we won't go up to put it bluntly. The players we've got in the main aren't poor and so we don't need to get shot of them all, but what a lot of them are, are good players to have in your squad when challenging for promotion but haven't got the quality to find a way to beat championship teams week in, week out no matter how the opposition sets up and thus aren't good enough to be in our starting 11.

In effect our squad depth is now good enough for promotion, what we now need is a few real real quality players who are at the level of the best players in our team to create a starting 11 that every week can normally find a way past teams and don't have dips in form. This won't be cheap of course, but big money on a few players is going to be better than spending loads on players that don't make our starting 11 and just sit on the bench on big money. The spine of our team eg. Hughes, Ince Carson keogh etc are all good enough but we've now got to supplement them, whether it's now or in the summer.

A promotion winning starting 11 in our team would look something like this

Carson 

New rb (c) Keogh Pearce Lowe

Thorne Hughes

Ince New cam New lw

Martin

Thats what we need to build IMO, a new rb who's defensively solid as well as being a leader who inspires confidence when the team is struggling within a game like early on against Leeds so we can get back into the match. We'd then need Martin back as a striker who knows how we play and can score goals, as well as a lw with the quality and intelligence of Ince and, most importantly, a real quality advanced mid to link midfield and attack, pull players out of position and have the vision to carve out chances. From then we've got the squad to go up IMO, so come on Mel- let's finish the job!

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

@86 points genuine Question, which players do you see as top six quality? 

I would like to see Timi given some game time although he's obviously not showing enough to Mac in training currently to be given a bench spot.

Carson

christie Keogh Pearce Forsyth 

Thorne 

Hughes hourihane 

ince.          Martin.       Russell 

start with that side, I think it is top two material with our huge supply squad members. And that is with just one player who we don't own

I don't think any quick fire sale is needed. No drastic changes are needed at all . Maybe a few leave for the best of their own personal careers but nothing drastic .

The main objective for me is squad cohesion, the individual capability of this squad is not top 6 it's top 3 we just need to find a way of it having that same sort of click as it previously has in seasons past. 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

@86 points genuine Question, which players do you see as top six quality? 

I would like to see Timi given some game time although he's obviously not showing enough to Mac in training currently to be given a bench spot.

Carson, Keogh, Pearce, Lowe, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Nugent and Martin all have the necessary quality. 

Top 6 will not be easy but it is achievable, especially if we can bring in a quality attacking midfielder and a winger in the Sako mould. Our defence is already one of the strongest units in the division so we just need to create more at the business end of the park.

Vydra could yet prove the ace in the pack though I'll be slaughtered for saying as much. The balance of the squad looks reasonable for the division but unlikely to tear up trees. Russell and Bryson could well improve dramatically for the return of Chris Martin - Mac had them playing brilliantly as a unit in his first tenure, after all. Currently they are working hard but not showing what we know they are capable of in the final 3rd. Cover at FB looks necessary with so many on the easy list.

Weimann, Blackman and probably Camara need moving on. We've got a lot of quantity but not much quality on the wing.

Ince, Anya and Russell are a really good core, but we definitely need someone who improves our options instead of making up the numbers. Sako seems to be the one that's garnered heavy interest from the club and fans, so seems the obvious choice, but there's other, cheaper options. I'd be inclined to pick someone up on loan, not Jordan Ibe (although that would be unreal) but the next Jordan Ibe level loanee.

I guess we've got a make shift Vydra available for the wing too (Leicester Ram clenches his fist and glares across the room at the dartboard with a picture of Nigel Pearson in the middle of it. His eyes have been scratched out and there are several darts protruding from the region around his groin).

Equally, I'm very aware that we have players playing well for us that were being written off last January. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Weimmann, Blackman or Camara came good for us before the end of the season.

If we make the right signings now or in the summer then we can ha e a good chance at top two next season. If we panick and rush into signings now desperate to get into the playoffs and these signings don't work like last seasons signing we could end up messing next season up too. Patience is key. We all want immediate success but sometimes this can affect our longer term position. We need to ship a few out and bring in QUALITY 

Anybody who suggests that we need a 'firesale' is deluded. We have deadwood - when you have had the turnover of managers (and, more significantly, the turnover of managers that play such contradictory styles of football) then this is bound to happen. But then, most squads in the division have deadwood.

Clear out Blackman, Camara, Olsson (perhaps wait until the end of the season to get shot of Olsson owing to injuries) and we have a well balanced, strong squad full of depth. We are only a couple of signings away from being a side of real quality. To my mind those signings are: a return of Martin (although Nugent may well provide adequate cover), a goalscoring midfielder in the Bryson mould (although I felt that Bradley Johnson played his best football for us when operating in this role last season) and a right back. I'd like us to bring in a winger of real quality - someone who is a bit more direct than Ince but feel Vydra could operate in this role.

We've had a poor couple of results but the play-offs are well in sight. We have a strong squad which, currently, lacks a little balance. No firesale necessary.

Agree with most on here - a firesale implies we HAVE to get rid now (ie were skint) and with Mel backing the club that is not likely to be the case.

There are a number of players that look as though they should be moved on, but we can do that at a pace to get the best bids for them and not have coaches thinking they can take the p***. I doubt wed recover the outlay but the club owes it to Mel to try its best in that regard.

We need to see progress - in the style of play first, hence to levels of performance and then one assumes results follow. We may have peaked already for this season and with all the injuries might go backwards a bit in the remainder of the season.

Mac also needs to properly assess players he hasn't seen much of to form his views.

All of this suggests to me that a playoff place this season would be a pleasant surprise and if we snuck it, then it might be too early for this squad/team for us to make much of an impression on the prem next season.

7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Agree with most on here - a firesale implies we HAVE to get rid now (ie were skint) and with Mel backing the club that is not likely to be the case.

There are a number of players that look as though they should be moved on, but we can do that at a pace to get the best bids for them and not have coaches thinking they can take the p***. I doubt wed recover the outlay but the club owes it to Mel to try its best in that regard.

We need to see progress - in the style of play first, hence to levels of performance and then one assumes results follow. We may have peaked already for this season and with all the injuries might go backwards a bit in the remainder of the season.

Mac also needs to properly assess players he hasn't seen much of to form his views.

All of this suggests to me that a playoff place this season would be a pleasant surprise and if we snuck it, then it might be too early for this squad/team for us to make much of an impression on the prem next season.

The biggest indication that we're building towards something different in spite of our recent rise up the table is the fact that we've signed a replacement (albeit in loan) for our player of the season so far. 

As I said after Leeds, I wouldn't be surprised if results dipped but performances improved from now until the end of the season. 

16 hours ago, 86 points said:

Carson, Keogh, Pearce, Lowe, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Nugent and Martin all have the necessary quality. 

Top 6 will not be easy but it is achievable, especially if we can bring in a quality attacking midfielder and a winger in the Sako mould. Our defence is already one of the strongest units in the division so we just need to create more at the business end of the park.

Vydra could yet prove the ace in the pack though I'll be slaughtered for saying as much. The balance of the squad looks reasonable for the division but unlikely to tear up trees. Russell and Bryson could well improve dramatically for the return of Chris Martin - Mac had them playing brilliantly as a unit in his first tenure, after all. Currently they are working hard but not showing what we know they are capable of in the final 3rd. Cover at FB looks necessary with so many on the easy list.

Agreed with the players list. De Sart was superb against West Brom, less effective against Leeds but given Martin (Or hopefully Nugent) and a more effective Left Winger than what Camara gave us in that game, he will be good. He's also not played with Hughes yet.

So whilst I do hope for new signings at CM and LW (I don't think Mac will touch RB but watching Patterson showed he had intentions to do something there which I'm in favour off) the rest of the team can push us on.

Archived