No Fire Sale Required

Comrade 86

Where do we strengthen and where do we cut our losses to try to ensure a play-off slot?

Keepers – No requirement. Carson one of the best in the division and cover looks adequate for now.

Fullbacks – Lowe and Fozzy both highly capable but keeping them healthy is proving a challenge. A loan option until the end of the season seems sensible.  Olsson has slipped in the pecking order and may need to find another club next season. Baird and Christie bring different qualities to one another but another right back as cover might be a smart move.

Centre Halves – Enviable strength in depth in this department – no changes needed. Hard to see Rawson getting any opportunities so a continued loan with a recall clause might be the best option.

Defensive Midfielders – George is arguably our strongest player but is hideously unlucky with injuries. Bradley offered great cover but lacks George’s finesse and passing ability. De Sart looks highly promising – could we prise him away from Boro? Aron Gunnarson from Cardiff still interests me as a ‘quiet’ signing who might add some steel and leadership in the centre of the park without us breaking the bank.

Attacking Midfielders – Getting Will under a new contract brought great relief to many on this forum, myself included. Like George, he’s a star turn. Bryson and Butterfield are short of their best right now but Bryson might once again flourish under McClaren were Chris Martin to return to the club. I’d keep both as squad players. I’d also like to see young Timi Elsnik given more game time, possibly on loan. I think he might be a proper player waiting to happen. I do think we need to sign a box to box player with goals in them - Hourihane and Lansbury have both been mooted as players who would add to the squad and I’d be happy with either with a marginal preference for Hourihane. Either arriving might hasten an exit for Bryson though.

Wingers – Tom Ince’s form since McClaren returned has been outstanding. Anya is a player I like who works hard, likewise Russell who gets all kinds of abuse on this forum, mostly unfairly IMO. Camara is raw but it’s far too early to write him off. This said, I’d dearly love us to sign a player of Sako’s ilk though as having a threat on both sides of the park would make us a proper handful for opposition defences as well as helping providing our strikers with the kind of service they really need to be effective. If I could sign only one player it’d be Sako though unfortunately, this looks increasingly unlikely.

Strikers – Weiman, Blackman and Vernam should be loaned out if they are not going to get game time. Perhaps given regular football they might show enough to attract offers from other clubs. Vydra needs time and a run of games. It’s a tough call with him as it’s hard to see this happening currently but trying to offload him now would surely mean a nett loss running to millions. Nugent may prove shrewd business – I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do for us. Chris Martin’s record speaks for itself and I can see him scoring plenty back under his old gaffer. Pearson’s decision to loan him to a competitor for the play-offs with no recall clause surely ranks as one of the strangest decisions made in recent years. I like Darren Bent but he surely needs two out and out wingers and a more attacking midfield to enjoy the kind of service he thrives off. He is not a hold-up striker in the Chris Martin mould and will most likely leave in the summer once his contract expires.

So, a few tweaks required but not the fire sale some posters suggest is needed. The play-offs remain a very achievable aim if we can strengthen in the current window and get a few off the injury list.

COYR

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how much we chuck at it we won't be guaranteed a playoff place. Goalkeepers are good. FULL backs, centre backs are good when fit. Christie is back soon as are our left backs. Centre mids we have plenty of. Wingers also and we have plenty of strikers. No point buying anyone unless they are better than what we have. A good winger is needed but one that is real quality. We have enough bench warmers in this department. I think we could do with a real quality midfielder like hourihane. But I just hope we don't keep signing dross. A couple of loan signings might. E the way forward but again if they are not better than we have what is the point? We have a big squad already. What we need is to improve the team and not the squad! 

3 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

No matter how much we chuck at it we won't be guaranteed a playoff place. Goalkeepers are good. FULL backs, centre backs are good when fit. Christie is back soon as are our left backs. Centre mids we have plenty of. Wingers also and we have plenty of strikers. No point buying anyone unless they are better than what we have. A good winger is needed but one that is real quality. We have enough bench warmers in this department. I think we could do with a real quality midfielder like hourihane. But I just hope we don't keep signing dross. A couple of loan signings might. E the way forward but again if they are not better than we have what is the point? We have a big squad already. What we need is to improve the team and not the squad! 

No guarantees I agree but Sako and Hourihane would be my ultimate wishlist - both would add plenty IMO and I don't think we're far off the required standard even with the current injury list.

Keepers - ok

right back  - maybe.... james bree?

left back - rico henry on loan

cb - ok

dm - de sart looks ok 

cm - needs an attacking midfielder - pritchard or vydra

winger - canos from norwich

no9 - we already got too many already 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Hourihane would be a very interesting one, sako yes if it the performances when at wolves, but the centre forward role in our set up is so important and not addressed 

I agree the centre forward role is not addressed but how many more strikers can we sign? We have Blackman, vydra, bent and now nugent. How many of them would be considered one of the best strikers in this league? None. And this is where our problems lie. The recruitment has been absolutely rubbish since Morris has been here. 

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Hourihane would be a very interesting one, sako yes if it the performances when at wolves, but the centre forward role in our set up is so important and not addressed 

Genuinely think that both Bent and Vydra would score plenty with the right service and as for Chris Martin, don't get me started! 

7 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

I agree the centre forward role is not addressed but how many more strikers can we sign? We have Blackman, vydra, bent and now nugent. How many of them would be considered one of the best strikers in this league? None. And this is where our problems lie. The recruitment has been absolutely rubbish since Morris has been here. 

I don't think the recruitment has been rubbish but it has been expensive for average, it is not Morris fault he has backed the people asking

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Keepers - ok

right back  - maybe.... james bree?

left back - rico henry on loan

cb - ok

dm - de sart looks ok 

cm - needs an attacking midfielder - pritchard or vydra

winger - canos from norwich

no9 - we already got too many already 

Re-purposing Vydra has been suggested on another thread - it's an intriguing idea. Pritchard also a player I like and seems to have slipped off the radar - didn't we express interest before before he went to Norwich?

14 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Agree but not sure we can associate the crap recruitment with Morris arriving. The buck stops with the recruitment team I'd hope.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Genuinely think that both Bent and Vydra would score plenty with the right service and as for Chris Martin, don't get me started! 

I also think they would score but our midfield are so far away and generally not moving, basically the balance and competency are not there

Think Blackman does need a shot, Chris Martin come back please and Nugent and Bent. Those would be my 4 CF's next season with Vernam out on loan developing for us and same with Zanzala when fit. Think we need to offload 1 winger (most likely weimann - still don't think he has had his shot though) and possibly bring in someone of Sako's ilk to score goals and be a genuine menace. I think our midfield is fine, just need to toughen up in away games and keep the ball better as shown away at Leeds. So only singings for me would be a winger who is quality and Chrissy to come home. 

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Where do we strengthen and where do we cut our losses to try to ensure a play-off slot?

Keepers – No requirement. Carson one of the best in the division and cover looks adequate for now.

Fullbacks – Lowe and Fozzy both highly capable but keeping them healthy is proving a challenge. A loan option until the end of the season seems sensible.  Olsson has slipped in the pecking order and may need to find another club next season. Baird and Christie bring different qualities to one another but another right back as cover might be a smart move.

Centre Halves – Enviable strength in depth in this department – no changes needed. Hard to see Rawson getting any opportunities so a continued loan with a recall clause might be the best option.

Defensive Midfielders – George is arguably our strongest player but is hideously unlucky with injuries. Bradley offered great cover but lacks George’s finesse and passing ability. De Sart looks highly promising – could we prise him away from Boro? Aron Gunnarson from Cardiff still interests me as a ‘quiet’ signing who might add some steel and leadership in the centre of the park without us breaking the bank.

Attacking Midfielders – Getting Will under a new contract brought great relief to many on this forum, myself included. Like George, he’s a star turn. Bryson and Butterfield are short of their best right now but Bryson might once again flourish under McClaren were Chris Martin to return to the club. I’d keep both as squad players. I’d also like to see young Timi Elsnik given more game time, possibly on loan. I think he might be a proper player waiting to happen. I do think we need to sign a box to box player with goals in them - Hourihane and Lansbury have both been mooted as players who would add to the squad and I’d be happy with either with a marginal preference for Hourihane. Either arriving might hasten an exit for Bryson though.

Wingers – Tom Ince’s form since McClaren returned has been outstanding. Anya is a player I like who works hard, likewise Russell who gets all kinds of abuse on this forum, mostly unfairly IMO. Camara is raw but it’s far too early to write him off. This said, I’d dearly love us to sign a player of Sako’s ilk though as having a threat on both sides of the park would make us a proper handful for opposition defences as well as helping providing our strikers with the kind of service they really need to be effective. If I could sign only one player it’d be Sako though unfortunately, this looks increasingly unlikely.

Strikers – Weiman, Blackman and Vernam should be loaned out if they are not going to get game time. Perhaps given regular football they might show enough to attract offers from other clubs. Vydra needs time and a run of games. It’s a tough call with him as it’s hard to see this happening currently but trying to offload him now would surely mean a nett loss running to millions. Nugent may prove shrewd business – I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do for us. Chris Martin’s record speaks for itself and I can see him scoring plenty back under his old gaffer. Pearson’s decision to loan him to a competitor for the play-offs with no recall clause surely ranks as one of the strangest decisions made in recent years. I like Darren Bent but he surely needs two out and out wingers and a more attacking midfield to enjoy the kind of service he thrives off. He is not a hold-up striker in the Chris Martin mould and will most likely leave in the summer once his contract expires.

So, a few tweaks required but not the fire sale some posters suggest is needed. The play-offs remain a very achievable aim if we can strengthen in the current window and get a few off the injury list.

COYR

How did you write all that without saying NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT????

You are to reasonable by far.

14 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

How did you write all that without saying NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT????

You are to reasonable by far.

I'm basically a happy clapper by many's definition but it's all good as my blood pressure remains within healthy parameters that way! :thumbsup:

Archived