Birmingham after Johnny Russell

David

3 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Russel yesterday showed how poor Camara is.

I think he did that himself last Friday. I just don't see him as a starter against a decent side. It's Ok against a lesser side, when defensive cover isn't required but when it is, we struggle. Still think he's got a role to play from the bench last 20 if we need a goal or perhaps starting especially at home against the likes of Burton/ Wigan etc who just come to defend 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Russel yesterday showed how poor Camara is.

What a silly thing to say.  This is so typical of the internet. People are superlatively good or superlatively bad.  

Russell is a good Championship player who tries very hard; does his job defensively but who offensively hasn't been able to create or score goals this season in the way he has in the past.  By all accounts he had an excellent game yesterday and we're all pleased

Camara has played very few games for Derby. When he has played he has generally been an impressive player in my views; quick, fearless. direct, makes defenders make mistakes.  He is far less good defensively and had a poor half against Leeds. The championship seems about his level too (borne out by the fact Wolves and Cardiff rumoured to want him).

Russell isn't the best winger in the league. And Camara isn't poor. Can we not have balanced opinions?

4 hours ago, feisty said:

What a silly thing to say.  This is so typical of the internet. People are superlatively good or superlatively bad.  

Russell is a good Championship player who tries very hard; does his job defensively but who offensively hasn't been able to create or score goals this season in the way he has in the past.  By all accounts he had an excellent game yesterday and we're all pleased

Camara has played very few games for Derby. When he has played he has generally been an impressive player in my views; quick, fearless. direct, makes defenders make mistakes.  He is far less good defensively and had a poor half against Leeds. The championship seems about his level too (borne out by the fact Wolves and Cardiff rumoured to want him).

Russell isn't the best winger in the league. And Camara isn't poor. Can we not have balanced opinions?

Got to disagree with Camara being generally impressive whenever he has played. The only reasonably good performance by him I have seen was against West Brom, who had a centre back playing at right back. Every other time I have seen him, he has been lightweight, sloppy on the ball, ridiculously one-footed, and considering how his entire game is based on running to the byline and getting the cross in, very reluctant to try and get past his man.

Don't think anyone was saying Russell is the best winger in the league, rather people have been ignoring what he brings to the table for the team.

This thread is funny. Friday evening there was a consensus opinion that Johnny wasn't quite good enough, passion and commitment are not enough and we should sell.

Saturday evening we now have the opinion that Johnny is indeed good enough and passion and commitment make him a must keep.

pick a lane guys. My opinion (one I have held since last season) is that Johnny will be welcome at this club as a good champ winger because of the fact he is committed when playing for us.

If someone bids way over his price (I'm thinking £6mill plus) then there's a conversation.

But for anything less, I would keep him for his attitude, the positive impact he has in the squad and the fact that he is a good champ winger. For every game changer (Knockaert, Ince etc) you need players hungry and hard working.

Generally a good performance but he did get caught on his heels a few times, not anticipating the ball being played towards him, slowing down his reactions and allowing Reading to challenge for what should have been a 60/40 in our favour.

He battled well when this happened, sometimes having to go to ground on the stretch, but situations like that are avoidable.

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

This thread is funny. Friday evening there was a consensus opinion that Johnny wasn't quite good enough, passion and commitment are not enough and we should sell.

Saturday evening we now have the opinion that Johnny is indeed good enough and passion and commitment make him a must keep.

pick a lane guys. My opinion (one I have held since last season) is that Johnny will be welcome at this club as a good champ winger because of the fact he is committed when playing for us.

If someone bids way over his price (I'm thinking £6mill plus) then there's a conversation.

But for anything less, I would keep him for his attitude, the positive impact he has in the squad and the fact that he is a good champ winger. For every game changer (Knockaert, Ince etc) you need players hungry and hard working.

For me, the only certain starters, if fit, are

Carson

Keogh

Pearce

Thorne

Hughes

Russell

Ince

Russell is crucial to the way we play imo and very underrated by a few fans, greatly appreciated by most though!

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

For me, the only certain starters, if fit, are

Carson

Keogh

Pearce

Thorne

Hughes

Russell

Ince

Russell is crucial to the way we play imo and very underrated by a few fans, greatly appreciated by most though!

For me you can add Forsyth and Martin to that list (assuming he comes back at some point). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2017 at 16:33, brady1993 said:

That's fair enough. For me Lowe isn't quite at Forsyth's (pre-injury obviously) levels yet.

He might be by May though. I'd love Lowe to get a run to the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived