Birmingham after Johnny Russell

David

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

how many can you name that are better?

All a matter of opinion of course. I base this on highlights and whatever live Championship is televised. This season I would say...

Matt Ritchie, Knockeart, the Murphy lad from Norwich, Beerens, Forestieri (if he's a winger?), Wildschut, Piazon, Aluko, Cairney.

Players like Aluko are difficult. Before this season I'd say JR was easily better but opinions can change pretty quickly. People wanted Tom Ince out at the beginning of the season, now they're laughing off £8mil transfer rumours. It'll only take a few good games from JR and opinions of him would change too.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We need better than him, but unless we've got a deal lined up then it would be a mistake to sell him beforehand. There's no point in buying more squad players, we've got a squad good enough for promotion, but our starting 11 isn't there yet so we must buy someone of real quality and comparable to Ince before selling Russell 

And if we did get someone better than him on paper ??? I would want to see them better than him on the pitch which is not so easy, wide men are notoriously inconsistent whoever they are. 

Sell Birmingham the others behind Russell because they are the problem in reality.

russell can do many asked things and we have no cover for Ince over on the right hand side Russell can easily fill in there who else can? 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

And if we did get someone better than him on paper ??? I would want to see them better than him on the pitch which is not so easy, wide men are notoriously inconsistent whoever they are. 

Sell Birmingham the others behind Russell because they are the problem in reality.

russell can do many asked things and we have no cover for Ince over on the right hand side Russell can easily fill in there who else can? 

That's the big thing, we really need to find someone who is consistent- never said it would be easy but it's what we've got to do if we want to achieve our goals, we can't keep on buying more and more 'good' players that aren't better than what we've got.

Its easy enough to say sell the others behind Russell, but who's really going to want to buy them when they're in big contracts and not really playing? Russell's contract isn't as long as others and hes been playing so will attract buyers.

Ill make no attempt to hide I'm not a massive Russell fan, I think his decision make is diabolical and sometimes when he has an off game you have to wonder how he's made it to this level, however I will agree that he has proven himself to be capable in our formation so I would be relecutant to let him go, but as a squad player having impact off the bench I don't think he'd be as useful as others. I will disagree on the cover for Ince, I believe that Blackman has a similar style to Ince, not as good but adequate cover for him imo

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Totally agree apart from I'd say Anya could possibly fill in on the right. However nobody in the squad could perform to the level that Ince has . 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That's the big thing, we really need to find someone who is consistent- never said it would be easy but it's what we've got to do if we want to achieve our goals, we can't keep on buying more and more 'good' players that aren't better than what we've got.

Its easy enough to say sell the others behind Russell, but who's really going to want to buy them when they're in big contracts and not really playing? Russell's contract isn't as long as others and hes been playing so will attract buyers.

Ill make no attempt to hide I'm not a massive Russell fan, I think his decision make is diabolical and sometimes when he has an off game you have to wonder how he's made it to this level, however I will agree that he has proven himself to be capable in our formation so I would be relecutant to let him go, but as a squad player having impact off the bench I don't think he'd be as useful as others. I will disagree on the cover for Ince, I believe that Blackman has a similar style to Ince, not as good but adequate cover for him imo

We saw enough of Blackman out there to worry about his football abilities and I truely want to see mac turn him into a good player but I am not hopeful but I am sure he may get an opportunity to prove it one way or the other

These people who are happy to sell him are the one that been praising him and sing his name. ***** ?

KEEP HIM AND SELL WEIMANN + BLACKMAN. ??

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Before anyone else doubts jonny here's why Birmingham want him and why we need to keep him..... Also,just look how much our missing striker is involved

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=0STMsDQezrI

In terms of assisting eachother, they've directly combined for 19 goals. 

That's roughly a quarter on Martin's goals and assists and over a third of Russell's. 

Is it really any surprise Russell hasn't been very good offensively this season? 

Do not sell Johnny Russell !!!!!!!    . If we buy what on paper is an upgrade on him then he is the man I want not only as cover but also pushing said upgrade for the first team place ,,, I have seen countless times how we desperately need Chris Martin as he brings so much more than goals to the team when he is not in form ,,, well that applies in spades to Johnny Russell ,, what people are forgetting is that Johnny has shown his best form when we have a marauding wing back working in tandem with him ,overlapping and creating space and Johnny working his backside off to get back and double up on opposition forwards ,,, there's a reason Johnny is generating interest from teams like Brighton and Birmingham when others like wiemen are getting non ,,,, 

Not sure if my heart is ruling my head, but Jake Buxton and Johnny Russell were 2 players that you just knew played for Derby with absolute pride.

Russell has lost his way a little bit the last few months, but I do not want to see him on an opposition team sheet. I already shed a tear when I see Bucko keeping a clean sheet against us.

Selling Russell and keeping Blackman will upset me greatly.

There was a time not so long ago that Derby wouldn't even entertain bids for Russell, especially from a playoff rival....what has changed, money issues?

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Not sure if my heart is ruling my head, but Jake Buxton and Johnny Russell were 2 players that you just knew played for Derby with absolute pride.

Russell has lost his way a little bit the last few months, but I do not want to see him on an opposition team sheet. I already shed a tear when I see Bucko keeping a clean sheet against us.

Selling Russell and keeping Blackman will upset me greatly.

There was a time not so long ago that Derby wouldn't even entertain bids for Russell, especially from a playoff rival....what has changed, money issues?

May need to sell to buy ? Unless anyone in the know has an exact figure on FFP. Would also be sorry to see him go, but we need more goals/quality crosses from his position on the field..

I have no confidence in the club to replace Johnny Russell with a player of similar quality, let alone higher quality. Camara's and Vydra's performances on Friday were all I needed to see to confirm my suspicions - Russell is the second best winger at this club and it's not a small gap between him and the third best.

You don't get rid of the first teamers to improve the quality of the team. You get rid of the players who can't get on the bench and fail to impress as substitutes first. Then you get better than Russell and let him battle it out with the other guy for the starting place. Not complicated.

Archived