Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

I am amazed he is still only 26, still has his best years ahead of him. For me i really want to keep him, would far prefer to see camara/weimman/blackman leave in front of him.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With us considering the bids for him, it could work wonders, we should hopefully see Russell busting a gut for the cause on Saturday.

He has it good here, is a fan fave and on his day can be immense, we just need to see it more often.

That goal against Forest will always be in my top 10 moments I have ever witnessed as a derby fan! The goal, the celebration, the occasion.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I am amazed he is still only 26, still has his best years ahead of him. For me i really want to keep him, would far prefer to see camara/weimman/blackman leave in front of him.

Completely agree.

Russell is the best out of all of them. However, just because he is the best. It doesn't mean he is up to the standard that we need. If we can get the most amount of money for Russell then I would be willing to sell him for financial reasons. No team in their right mind will pay the sort of money we can get for Russell for Weimann/Camara. 

Hopefully we bring in some serious quality and have a good LW that we have been crying out for since 2014.

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't think it's been Russell's greatest season so far but to suggest that he's suddenly dreadful is nonsense... Every player has bad patches... Are you in the camp that think Martin is dreadful because he didn't score for a while?

I dont think Russell is suddenly dreadful, I dont think you can fault his energy and workrate but my opinion is that a winger should offer more going forward than what Russell does.

No i'm not in the camp that thinks Martin is/was dreadful, I knew what Martin could offer this team when he was on loan and hardly pulled up any tree's and some fans were disappointed we signed him after the loan.

Have to say I would be devistated if we lost johnny. Admittedly he has been far from him best on occasions and needs to find that consistency but in my eye if we are talking about consistently being an effective left winger then johnny has to be considered better than the likes of Weimann and camara. He is still 26, younger than the other the other two so I believe he still has a lot to offer even if it is as a 2nd choice behind someone who we may bring in. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I dont think Russell is suddenly dreadful, I dont think you can fault his energy and workrate but my opinion is that a winger should offer more going forward than what Russell does.

And you think we have players in the squad who offer MORE than Russell does?

Because I don't... I'd like to see more of Blackman... But Camara = awful defensively in a position that in this day needs to track back, Wiemann = not as good as Russell, Anya = high workrate, little end product

IF we could get someone better in (which so far in the last 3 years we haven't managed to do) then Russell slips down the pecking order... And maybe we could think about letting him go... Until then why let him go?!?!

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Maybe not but WE paid that sort of money for Anya... Which makes me very sad...

I can see Anya becoming our first choice left back. He played a lot of games there in the Premier League last season and you don't do that if you're terrible. He may have been signed with speak of him playing as a winger instead but he doesn’t seem the type to sulk.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Maybe not but WE paid that sort of money for Anya... Which makes me very sad...

Can't really compare Weimann to Anya... Weimann has over 45 appearances for us. 

Anya you could count on your fingers...

Come back to me in 18 months time & I'll compare the 2 then...

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

And you think we have players in the squad who offer MORE than Russell does?

Because I don't... I'd like to see more of Blackman... But Camara = awful defensively in a position that in this day needs to track back, Wiemann = not as good as Russell, Anya = high workrate, little end product

IF we could get someone better in (which so far in the last 3 years we haven't managed to do) then Russell slips down the pecking order... And maybe we could think about letting him go... Until then why let him go?!?!

your description of Anya is exactly how I would describe Russell however nobody is coming in for Anya but are willing to pay more for Russell plus Anya will at least attack his full back unlike Russell. As for Camara, Weimann + Blackman I still reserve judgement as none of them have had a run in the team under McClaren, no use looking at how they have been under different managers as for me Mc got the best out of Russell before so I think he is capable of getting the best out of Camara, Weimann and Blackman - I would at least like to see him try to anyway considering the money spent on them. I dont think we will be any weaker for losing Russell and hopefully would use the money to buy a winger at the same level as Ince.

19 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I can see Anya becoming our first choice left back. He played a lot of games there in the Premier League last season and you don't do that if you're terrible. 

No thanks... Think from the couple of games we've seen him there he looks great going forward but not as good defensively as Fozzy, Olsson or Lowe...

18 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Can't really compare Weimann to Anya... Weimann has over 45 appearances for us. 

Anya you could count on your fingers...

Come back to me in 18 months time & I'll compare the 2 then...

I was comparing Anya to Russell as in the value people seem to be associating to Russell is what we paid for Anya who I don't think is as good...

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

your description of Anya is exactly how I would describe Russell however nobody is coming in for Anya but are willing to pay more for Russell plus Anya will at least attack his full back unlike Russell. As for Camara, Weimann + Blackman I still reserve judgement as none of them have had a run in the team under McClaren, no use looking at how they have been under different managers as for me Mc got the best out of Russell before so I think he is capable of getting the best out of Camara, Weimann and Blackman - I would at least like to see him try to anyway considering the money spent on them. I dont think we will be any weaker for losing Russell and hopefully would use the money to buy a winger at the same level as Ince.

THIS is the oddest statement I've seen for a while... McClaren got the best out of Russell so we should sell him?

I mean essentially your point is that you'd like to sell a known quantity who has been consistently chosen as our 2nd best winger, a guy who played well under our current manager in a previous stint here and replace him with a totally unknown quantity to speculate that we might be able to get them up to standard?

15 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Very bold statement... Prepare for the abuse :ph34r:

The half a season he had at Reading was proved it. Just needs confidence (McClaren's speciality). If he was fully fit he'd be playing on the other side of Ince in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The half a season he had at Reading was proved it. Just needs confidence (McClaren's speciality). If he was fully fit he'd be playing on the other side of Ince in my opinion. 

What about the rest of his career, what does that prove?!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

What about the rest of his career, what does that prove?!

That he struggles under certain systems/managerial styles. 

Ask Reading fans why he succeeded in that burst under McDermott. They'll say confidence, and being made to feel important. Similar type to Ince. 

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

THIS is the oddest statement I've seen for a while... McClaren got the best out of Russell so we should sell him?

I mean essentially your point is that you'd like to sell a known quantity who has been consistently chosen as our 2nd best winger, a guy who played well under our current manager in a previous stint here and replace him with a totally unknown quantity to speculate that we might be able to get them up to standard?

Not really because under the current time under Mc Russell hasnt been anywhere near the level he was before and IMO he wont get back to that level, he has had a consistent run and showed nothing. Ince flourished under Mc before, then went off the boil but is again on fire under Mc - why isn't Johnny? You can't just blame the LB situation as during his run of games he had natural LB's whereas people are writing Camara off when he has had Hanson behind him on both starts?

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

That he struggles under certain systems/managerial styles. 

Ask Reading fans why he succeeded in that burst under McDermott. They'll say confidence, and being made to feel important. Similar type to Ince. 

Except for Ince has 'history'. Your theory has no other facts to back it up. It could be down to other things unlikely to ever be replicated at Derby.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except for Ince has 'history'. Your theory has no other facts to back it up. It could be down to other things unlikely to ever be replicated at Derby.

History being one full season with Blackpool in the Championship, and then years of under-performing everywhere else? 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

History being one full season with Blackpool in the Championship, and then years of under-performing everywhere else? 

Yes, history that backs up the 'confidence/style of play' reason.

Blackman has nothing, then a very brief spurt, then nothing. The nothing for us being under three managers, one of who knew him and another who started him?

Archived