Birmingham after Johnny Russell

David

2 hours ago, feisty said:

What he did 2 or 3 seasons ago is irrelevant if he is no longer able to perform at that level. And he hasn't been hitting the heights (depsite his effort) for 18 months. Even he said that last year he played below par

Same as sako then! 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't doubt he's had an impact in the past, he was a year or two ago one of my favourite players believe it or not. However his lack of consistency has really begun to frustrate me, a lot of those goals came in short spells where he was on fire, before he went on a run of games where he's unable to play a basic pass. He's clearly more suited to our team than say Camara, and I would be cautious about letting him go, we need better than him definately- however we must make sure we have someone lined up who's clearly better than him and suits the style of play before we do sell him. It is key this window however that better is bought, 25 poor games is more than just poor form, I don't doubt he's a decent player but his impact this season hasn't been enough and one of the reasons why we haven't been scoring enough goals

Sako has done nothing better than Russell has he? 

If we do indeed go on to sell Russell, we'd better see a new LW come in before the end of the window...

Russell is one of our first choice wingers, despite how poor he's been this season, his sale will be a loss for the squad overall and so we'd need someone equal or better quality coming in or what's the point selling him in the first place?

I would.  I accept McClaren seems to want yet another left winger though. And he knows the players better than me. But our squad feels unbalanced to me. 

You do realise that Ince plays on the RW?

He goes missing in games when on the left, He is our best RW.

I would.  I accept McClaren seems to want yet another left winger though. And he knows the players better than me. But our squad feels unbalanced to me. 

Maybe it is because we have an excellent RW in form but a collection of not good enough or out of form LW. Many of which can play RW btw.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

If we found a proper left back we could play Anya in his best position.

We sure could but in my opinion he is in no way as good as Russell and his stats would probably back that up.

we have had a theme in the last six months - move Martin on and replace him with inferior players, move on a successful international midfielder and replace him with no one similar, maybe sell your most productive left sided wide man and replace him with an inferior product but hay we are getting something for our silver but we are replacing it with wooden spoons.

14 hours ago, feisty said:

We have Anya, Camara, Russell, Weimann who can play L Wing.  We have too many left wingers. We don't need another left winger in if Russell goes

They are all worse than Russell... So you're saying you'd happily just make our squad worse?

21 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We sure could but in my opinion he is in no way as good as Russell and his stats would probably back that up.

we have had a theme in the last six months - move Martin on and replace him with inferior players, move on a successful international midfielder and replace him with no one similar, maybe sell your most productive left sided wide man and replace him with an inferior product but hay we are getting something for our silver but we are replacing it with wooden spoons.

I agree that Anya still has much to prove at Derby but I think if we play Nugent, Anya will provide more crosses for him than Russell who prefers to cut inside and play on the deck.

Agree with your points on our transfer activity which is more akin to a struggling side than a team vying for the Prem. 

Small stat snipit,

russell age 26 average championship return 9 goal average over 3 years

anya age 29 in April championship return 9 goals in total, I repeat in total.

sako age 29 in April championship return 12 goal average over 2 years ( will cost a packet in transfer fee and currently on reportedly £40,000 per week at palace)

people can have there own opinions but I know good value when I see it.

As many have said Russell is the the best LW at the club at the moment, but there are better players out there. In an ideal world, we'd sell Weimann or Anya but to be frank, they're not going to receive offers. Yes, we are at the top end financially for this league, but again FFP will stand in the way of us completeing too many deals without some outgoings.

Ideally we could go for: New LW, Ince, Russell, Blackman.

Realistically we may have to go for: New LW, Ince, Camara, Blackman.

There are plenty of good options in the Championship too - I think Kemar Roofe and Pablo Hernandez proved that the other night. The other option is to take a knock down price for Anya and Weimann (doesn't bother me).

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Small stat snipit,

russell age 26 average championship return 9 goal average over 3 years

anya age 29 in April championship return 9 goals in total, I repeat in total.

sako age 29 in April championship return 12 goal average over 2 years ( will cost a packet in transfer fee and currently on reportedly £40,000 per week at palace)

people can have there own opinions but I know good value when I see it.

Looking at those stats i dont think we want any of them.

Archived