Still no plan b

Derbylad92

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

Every team has worked out us now we went unbeaten in 10 but in a run of games where we were playing the more poor teams in the league does anybody else feel we should try changing something once we have our attacking full backs back fit maybe 

Carson

Keogh  pearce  shacks

Christie                                  lowe

Johnson  butterfield

Hughes 

Ince            bent/nugent/vydra

derbys squad is light, especially when you take into account injuries, suspensions etc.

Poor thread title mate, sorry.

Its not a question of plan B, but competing at Plan A better.

I believe kneee jerk and throwing out the baby with the bathwater phrases were used on radio derby.

If you think not quite being on our game against a very good Leeds midfield constitues a change to 3 at the back then Im glad your not the manager. Ever heard of Nigel Pearson and what he did when he tried to change too much???

Still trying to fathom how outplaying and winning personal battles allover the pitch constitutes "working us out."

That term stinks of an inward looking view and doesnt even indicate any understanding that there is another football team on the pitch each time we play.

When we went 10 unbeaten was that because we had "worked out" the opposition, or was it because we played our own game better than they did.

Why not go the whole hog and try 442... We need a period of being a settled team with a consistent identity. If we don't play well we will most likely lose, people seem to forget that there are two teams in a match. There is a even more bizarre notion that the other team play better than we do. Learn from it and move on.

Does not make a blind bit of difference if you play plan A,B or C if the eleven on the pitch are not performing.Plan A does not need changing it just needs the players within it to improve.

Tactics never won a football match players do and they have to take responsibility for their own performances.All you ask of a player is give me everything on both the pitch and in training....if they do and are not good enough you need to replace.

Football is easy in essence pass to someone in the same shirt and put it in the opposition net whilst defending yours....simples.

Not so much a Plan B required - ie a wholesale different system, but given the almost infinite permutations you can make within a given system it isn't unheard of to make a few minor tactical/positional tweaks within a game to respond to situations.

Even swapping the wide players over, which we used to do quite often in Mac 1 doesn't seem to happen now. I don't think it unreasonable to expect a better plan to counter someone sitting on the CDM than hoofing it, which is where we seem to be at just now.

Look at Chelsea's system which is a front 3 - they didn't have Costa yesterday but the 3 that turned out were interchanging, passing fast and being generally unplayable at Leicester. I know the players are better but our ambition surely ought to be to have people to bring on from the bench who buy into the broad shape of the system whilst bringing their own strengths (be that extra pace, a bit of dribbling trickery, an explosive shot or whatever) to the roles.

We should stick with plan A for the rest of the season and see where it takes us, probably a respectable 7th or 8th is my best guess. Next season we can strengthen the midfield, get a top quality striker, and have a proper go at promotion from the off. 

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep good point. Them defenders that are breaking clean sheets records are not fit to wear the shirt. 

And don't even get me started on them clowns that won 7 games in a row.

Would like the players to have a read of this forum and let them say who they think are fit to call themselves DCFC suporters, would make interesting reading I think.

How many brilliant saves have to do in the run of clean sheets how many mistakes did we make at the back and carson save 7 wins against teams lower league the hardest game was norwich and they were on a bad run if anybody thinks the football is good enough baffles me we have been poor in alot of these games we have been lucky to win them 

16 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

How many brilliant saves have to do in the run of clean sheets how many mistakes did we make at the back and carson save 7 wins against teams lower league the hardest game was norwich and they were on a bad run if anybody thinks the football is good enough baffles me we have been poor in alot of these games we have been lucky to win them 

How many times has De Gea saved Man Utd on their recent run of good form.

How many titles did Peter Schmeical help them win over the years with last gasp, one on one saves.

Every successfull side has a match-saving goalie behind it!

23 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Yeah another good point, having your goalkeeper making saves is really lucky.

So my comment would be that in order to play three up front (and therefore leave seven competing  against eight behind them) those three have to be top notch strikers, capable of not only retaining the ball but also converting possession into goals. 

Ince h as provided that but the other two haven't.

We therefore find ourselves under more pressure than in previous years.

If we could find the right three up top arguments about formation would cease.

And I can't accept the 'bare bones' excuse in a squad of about 40.

We have bought quantity not quality and it's illuminating that not many of our squad are subject to transfer rumour.

5 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

The hardest games were Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds x2, Reading away, Norwich x2 Huddersfield, Fulham.

Archived