Bent's Disallowed Goal

Rambalin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what Ref's are told about handball.....from a article by Graham Poll.

Regarding handball they now ask the referee to consider the proximity of the potential offender to the person last playing the ball, the speed of the ball and importantly whether the offender's arms are in a natural or unnatural position.

So the question of intent is now, did the offender deliberately place his arms in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him?

If the answer to that is yes then it is correct to penalise that player even though it used to be argued that was ball to hand. 

Try jumping towards a moving object that may come towards your face. The hands come up naturally for protection and you will not really see this done any other way. Your arms would go up just by the momentum in jumping anyway.

On the basis of the law it was probably not handball but having said that I think it is best that these are given as handball as people may start to take advantage of it and spread their arms out a little bit more to get hit.

More importantly, we deserved nothing out of that game and it would just be papering over cracks if we did.

His arm was raised in an unnatural position. If his arm had been down then the ball would have missed him and would not have been deflected in. Correct decision for me although would have been nice if it was allowed. Could have given us the boost we needed.

Just out of interest, what is classed as a 'natural position' for your arms when running and jumping at speed when closing an opponent down? 

I would suggest that what Bent did was pretty natural and would be the shape that is acquired by players 99% of the time, the other 1% being David Luiz. 

Would I have been disappointed if the goal had stood against us? Yes. Did we deserve anything from the game? No. But that said I don't think that Bent intentionally handled the ball. The incident also happened at the start of the second half when we were having probably our best spell. We could possibly have gone on from there and dominated the rest of the game. They could also have kicked on even stronger pushing for a second. No one knows what would have happened if....... Probably was the right decision if I'm honest, but only because Keough got away with one on the goal line at our place. Then again if that wasn't a penalty and a sending off then Bent's goal should have stood ?

I've never quite understood the rules about these things. Ball to hand and all that stuff. Reading through the posts it has made me not so certain of my original 'correct decision' verdict.

The ball is loose. Both Bent and Green are running towards it. Bent jumps as Green just more or less takes a punt at the ball. Bent is jumping naturally with a slight tendency to turn his back on Green as he doesn't want to get hurt by the ball. None of this is deliberate. He has jumped and IMO there is absolutely no deliberate intent or movement of the arm towards the ball. It's basically just Green leathering the ball at his outstretched arm.

Again I'm not sure of the rules. Are these decisions based on what the ref determines as deliberate or can you just literally as an attacker, get inside the penalty area and try and kick the ball as hard as you can towards an opponents arm when the opponent has no idea what's going on and that would be deemed a penalty?

Archived