Newcastle Away

Boss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Only been once in the 90's in a league cup tie. There was about 400 of us stuck up high in the corner of the stand. To this day I still maintain that Newcastle is the most impressive stadium I've visited in the UK and I've been Parkhead, Old Trafford etc.

Seem to remember a pub over the road called the Strawberry if memory serves but not 100%. Whether it's still there now is anyone's guess.

We just got hammered under the Tyne bridge with some lasses from Consett, County Durham and were dragged off to Gateshead metro centre during the day and we'd only known them 5 minutes!

Bloody hell! My missus is from Consett. What did they look like!?

Just now, WharfedaleRam said:

Bloody hell! My missus is from Consett. What did they look like!?

:lol:

Consett is quite a big place WR.

To be fair I can't remember. Nothing untoward happened anyway as I was only a teenager and have always respected women. If that makes you feel any better?! :huh:

I think her name was Stephanie or Sophie or something like that from a very distant memory. Deffo began with an S though.

26 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

:lol:

Consett is quite a big place WR.

To be fair I can't remember. Nothing untoward happened anyway as I was only a teenager and have always respected women. If that makes you feel any better?! :huh:

I think her name was Stephanie or Sophie or something like that from a very distant memory. Deffo began with an S though.

Phew! Her name begins with L! We still go back to the north east to see family. Her side of it are all black and white fans (stripes!) and can't understand why I (a Durham lad born and bred) follow the Rams. I do enjoy reminding them that, even in our most desperate season in the Premiership, 4 of our 11 points came from our games against them.

Newcastle is a fab city and whilst there are great pubs all over twon, the bars around Grey Street are worth a visit before and after the game.

Just now, WharfedaleRam said:

Phew! Her name begins with L! We still go back to the north east to see family. Her side of it are all black and white fans (stripes!) and can't understand why I (a Durham lad born and bred) follow the Rams. I do enjoy reminding them that, even in our most desperate season in the Premiership, 4 of our 11 points came from our games against them.

Newcastle is a fab city and whilst there are great pubs all over twon, the bars around Grey Street are worth a visit before and after the game.

Glad we got that sorted WR.:lol:

17 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Is the Black Bull just up the hill from the ground still going ?

Last time I went in there (many years ago) it was an "interesting sort of adventure"

The Black Bull in Inverurie is further up the hill and quite a hike from here but is still going!

Last time I went in there a few months ago it was it's usual sort of adventure, plus no Geordies in it, marvellous!

23 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Might make the trip down from Edinburgh for this one with a few mates who are converted rams, if enough tickets!

Just reminded me in 1980 day after boxing day we went to St James and got there early doors started to queue up at the wrong end some lads from Glasgow (Rangers fans but followed the Rams when ever they could )had come down for the game they got in the queue  too until some Geordies warned us OFF to the other end LOL:lol:.

Wonder if they still follow Derby ?

Just for the record and to all Newcastle fans that think they have always had massive attendances. The gate that day was

ONLY 20,886

Office chat today was that Newcastle aren't top only because the teams they haven't beat have been lucky. Brighton aren't the best team and Newcastle are still going to 'walk it'. 

That was from one of the more rational and modest ones.

I'll tell you what though....

At least he calls notts by their proper name ;-)

20 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Just reminded me in 1980 day after boxing day we went to St James and got there early doors started to queue up at the wrong end some lads from Glasgow (Rangers fans but followed the Rams when ever they could )had come down for the game they got in the queue  too until some Geordies warned us OFF to the other end LOL:lol:.

Just for the record and to all Newcastle fans that think they have always had massive attendances. The gate that day was

ONLY 20,886

Bloody hell, I went to that as well. We won 2-0. Me & my (now sadly deceased) mate stood on their side terrace amongst the locals keeping our gobs well & truly shut. Can't remember seeing many of our fans that day. If so they were probably keeping quiet like us. Twas the norm in the 70s & early 80s if you didn't want your head caved in, especially at places like Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester & most of the London grounds when the so called 'away' end was normally occupied by the home nutters.

2 other things I remember from the day. It was the first time we encountered a young kid asking for money to 'mind' the car. Secondly said car, an old Austin 1800, broke down at wetherby on the way home leaving the 2 of us (22 years old) to hitch the last 80 miles or so down the A1 back to blighty on a freezing December night.

happy days !!

On 12.1.2017 at 17:50, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

ONLY 20,886

Always reminds me of my one visit to Old trafford to watch derby.

was aleague game, and there was 28,000 i think it was.

Before the fergie glory years, when United were bottom half of the first division they didnt always get 70,000 every match.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2017 at 20:20, eddie said:

Possibly won't sell out at all

Away teams are allocated 3000 tickets at St James' Park, at the top of a mountain (14 flights of stairs), which might well affect the more feeble-bodied like me (this is my last season on the back row of the North Stand at Pride Park because my knees are shot to ribbons). One of the main reasons for me wanting to go to Newcastle was to tackle the 'Curry Hell' challenge - but the Rupali Restaurant, the home of the 'hottest curry in the world', has now closed.

That, plus the fact that I'm now unemployed, means I might give this one a miss.

I've been waiting for this moment for a while.

ahem.

Half Fan!

Archived