Scams

sage

After an attempt to scam me via email i thought we could have a thread warning of current scams that are floating about.

This scam was sending me emails that purport to be from Amazon detailing a purchase you have made with an option to click on a link if it isn't your purchase. If you get one forward it to stop-spoofing@amazon.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sage said:

After an attempt to scam me via email i thought we could have a thread warning of current scams that are floating about.

This scam was sending me emails that purport to be from Amazon detailing a purchase you have made with an option to click on a link if it isn't your purchase. If you get one forward it to stop-spoofing@amazon.com

I got one too. For wooden scrabble tiles to be delivered to Sea Life Centre Brighton. It looked pretty convincing. But I never click tracking links and always go direct to the website concerned to check.

They are easy but people must fall for them or they wouldnt do them now. I think they work on the premise that we are curious beings and sometimes cant help click on that link just to see what its about.

I dont and agree its obvious most of the time. I do really doubt that fella from nigeria or wherever really has a million pounds he wants to deposit in my account if i could just send him my bank details.

1 hour ago, scarboroughwa said:

tbh, they're all pretty obvious to spot.

Didn't buy something from USA? Then that one from Fedex is one to avoid

You like like a horses back end? Then that one from the Latvian model is one to avoid

etc, etc

I had one through an email which alerted me to the fact a £69.99 sat nav app was purchased through my iTunes account, and to log in and verify I hadn't made the purchase.

It was the most believable one I'd seen. I did end up logging into my iTunes but through the Apple website and the link within the email. It seems the idea of potentially being stiffed for £70 would cause people to not think about it being a phishing scam. 

Someone got a link to that funny story where a guy actually played along the the Nigerian Bank scam for a while and got the guy to take a picture of himself 

Got an email today from a lawyer In the US saying I was entitled to $12.5m worth of Estate because I had the same surname as a person who hadn't passed away without any next of kin.......they would take 55% to represent me!!!!! Just because we had the same name...Bri:Dlliant 

20 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

I had one through an email which alerted me to the fact a £69.99 sat nav app was purchased through my iTunes account, and to log in and verify I hadn't made the purchase.

It was the most believable one I'd seen. I did end up logging into my iTunes but through the Apple website and the link within the email. It seems the idea of potentially being stiffed for £70 would cause people to not think about it being a phishing scam. 

Yeah, I had one the same only for a purchase for gems from 'Clash of Clans', which, funnily enough I play, and my kids play, and they have made a purchase when I accidentally left the password to the purchase available to use without entering it. Dangerous.

Anyway, Mr Awake here wasn't falling for that. But it would have been dead easy to fall for it.

I checked the account directly and... nothing.

Close one.

On 13/01/2017 at 08:56, scarboroughwa said:

tbh, they're all pretty obvious to spot.

Didn't buy something from USA? Then that one from Fedex is one to avoid

You like like a horses back end? Then that one from the Latvian model is one to avoid

etc, etc

The amazon one was almost perfect, the only link on it that was dodgey was the track your order link (if you hover over the links they show the actual address they point to).

golden rule is to never follow links in emails but only go direct to the website. 

Conversely, I love the extremely obvious fakes that land in your spam box. I got a spam email just this morning from "Glenda" which has no images and no text other than:

"Young and beautiful blond girl is looking for a man. Ready to serious relationship, want kids. Pro in sex and ready to everything, i like anal sex.

My profile is here" (this line is the clickable link)

What do you reckon guys? I think this Glenda might be the one. For years I've been looking for a girl who is ready to everything and especially one who has trained as a pro in sex, now I've found her.

19 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Conversely, I love the extremely obvious fakes that land in your spam box. I got a spam email just this morning from "Glenda" which has no images and no text other than:

"Young and beautiful blond girl is looking for a man. Ready to serious relationship, want kids. Pro in sex and ready to everything, i like anal sex.

What do you reckon guys? I think this Glenda might be the one. For years I've been looking for a girl who is ready to everything and especially one who has trained as a pro in sex, now I've found her.

Go for it.

There's a theory that some scammers make deliberate mistakes in spelling, grammar, sentence construction, so that only the ill-educated are likely to fall for it, thus eliminating time-wasters like us, with superior intellect, who may string them along.

5 hours ago, Tombo said:

If you're happy washing poo off your willy, why not?

6 hours ago, Tombo said:

Can you forward it to me.

Archived