When the legs go!

FindernRam

I think it was Shankley who said "All players legs go no matter how good they are. The trick is to make sure they are not playing for you when it happens".

I remembered this when I noticed that some of the players we seem to be signing or thinking about, are getting on a bit. Does Nugent have the legs for 2 1/2 years. Darren is slower than he was. Others we are linked with are wrong side of 30. Bit worrying to me.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

I think it was Shankley who said "All players legs go no matter how good they are. The trick is to make sure they are not playing for you when it happens".

I remembered this when I noticed that some of the players we seem to be signing or thinking about, are getting on a bit. Does Nugent have the legs for 2 1/2 years. Darren is slower than he was. Others we are linked with are wrong side of 30. Bit worrying to me.

We had a boro fan comment on the Nugent thread saying he's still very quick for his age (if that gives you any peace of mind?).

Whilst I agree the timing of a transfer is key, I do think some experienced heads in the dressing room that have been there, done it and seen it all can't hurt. Our squad has dealt with pressure poorly at times in the last few seasons so some older heads like Baird, Nugent, Bent etc can't be a bad thing provided they still contribute on the pitch.

It is an interesting one .. It isn't the pace that goes, it's the acceleration. That first ignition of energy and trasnmission to muscles. You press the mental GO button and it's like the turbo lag in a 1984 Saab. It really does depend on the genetics of the player .. Does it happen at 32,38 or somewhere between .. that is the quandary. I just hope our team of watchers and recruiters make that part of their brief. 

21 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

We had a boro fan comment on the Nugent thread saying he's still very quick for his age (if that gives you any peace of mind?).

That made me chuckle .. Very quick ....... For his age ..... Bit like the difference between mainly dry with rainy intervals  

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Having watched his videos Nugent can afford to lose a bit of speed and still be quicker than most.

I just want to know how well he holds up the ball and links others in?

If he can be Martin with a bit of pace then all will be well 

I wonder if there is some sports science behind it. For my age my legs are still pretty solid, but I stopped playing serious Rugby at 22. Other players I know who carried on are pretty much on crutches now. I'm assuming years of wear and tear would probably have an affect and slow you down - and the same can be applied to football. 

Anyways, let;s not forget that Linford Christie was 33 years old when he won an olympic gold medal for the 100 meters and his time was 9.96 - fabulous stuff really. 

Archived