Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

IMO our best performance of the past 18 months didn't include Ince. It also didn't include Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield or Chris Baird either.

It included six of those who started the 2013/14 playoff final.

Ince has featured in 89/92 league games in the past two seasons. 96.7%

Johnson has featured in 65/92 league games in the past two seasons. 70.7%

Butterfield has featured in 78/92 league games in the past two seasons. 84.8%

Baird has featured in 47/92 last league games in the past two seasons.  51.1%

This is being generous too since Johnson and Butterfield joined after some games had already been played, and Baird went out on loan.

This equals a 0.29% chance that none of these players played in a Derby County league game together since the start of last season. 

If these stats don't absolutely scream vital squad players, then you're heavily misguided

Since those odds pretty heavily point to the conclusion that your statement is just incorrect in terms of league games, I decided to check out all cup by hand - the answer is none, since every cup game in the last two seasons included at the very least 1 of Ince, Johnson, Butterfield or Baird.

The playoff 2nd leg vs Hull had none of those 4 players starting, but did include Ince on as a substitute.

I also decided to just check out our best results of the past two seasons by hand too - the answer is still nope. There hasn't been a game which we have won well and not had Ince, Johnson, Butterfield or Baird playing. It wouldn't surprise me, given the negativity which a few members of this forum share, if your best 'performance' by the team was a loss.

What is our best performance of the past 18 months, in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, Cactooos said:

This is being generous too since Johnson and Butterfield joined after some games had already been played, and Baird went out on loan.

This equals a 0.29% chance that none of these players played in a Derby County league game together since the start of last season. 

If these stats don't absolutely scream vital squad players, then you're heavily misguided

Since those odds pretty heavily point to the conclusion that your statement is just incorrect in terms of league games, I decided to check out all cup by hand - the answer is none, since every cup game in the last two seasons included at the very least 1 of Ince, Johnson, Butterfield or Baird.

The playoff 2nd leg vs Hull had none of those 4 players starting, but did include Ince on as a substitute.

I also decided to just check out our best results of the past two seasons by hand too - the answer is still nope. There hasn't been a game which we have won well and not had Ince, Johnson, Butterfield or Baird playing. It wouldn't surprise me, given the negativity which a few members of this forum share, if your best 'performance' by the team was a loss.

Rams 4 Hull 0, Hull 0 Rams 2.....two that spring to mind....

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Rams 4 Hull 0, Hull 0 Rams 2.....two that spring to mind....

My thoughts too. Johnson scored twice in the 4-0 win, one from an Ince assist, and as I said in my post Ince featured in the playoff 2nd leg.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Have I honestly just seen the Derby Telegraph reporting on a rumour started by an unverified instagram account? Absolutely grim. 

Because some numpty askes DET if they heard it then showed them the Instagram picture.. Lol. 

When I walked into to work today I was greeted by an Owls fan(I nearly said an Owl)who told me that Tom Ince was signing for them for 8.5 million.

I replied with the same stock answer I am going to use for everything else I have read on Incey,

Stop taking the p1ss!

Bristol City???8.5 m???

7 hours ago, Cactooos said:

What am I incorrect about? In my opinion the playoff 2nd leg was the closest to a complete performance we've had since Mac1. We were energetic, direct and mostly brilliant.

Butters, Baird, BJ and Ince are vital squad members these days, I'm not doubting that, but they've made our first-team weaker. We were better without them before they arrived. 

Before this quartet arrived we had a vibrant young squad on lower salaries fighting for automatic promotion.

Since theyve been here we've been on a downward spiral in terms of quality while our wage expenditure has increased by 50%.

They are vital first-team members now because we just finished in midtable in a p!sh poor Championship which saw Huddersfield and Reading reach the playoff final!

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What am I incorrect about? In my opinion the playoff 2nd leg was the closest to a complete performance we've had since Mac1. We were energetic, direct and mostly brilliant.

Butters, Baird, BJ and Ince are vital squad members these days, I'm not doubting that, but they've made our first-team weaker. We were better without them before they arrived. 

Before this quartet arrived we had a vibrant young squad on lower salaries fighting for automatic promotion.

Since theyve been here we've been on a downward spiral in terms of quality while our wage expenditure has increased by 50%.

They are vital first-team members now because we just finished in midtable in a p!sh poor Championship which saw Huddersfield and Reading reach the playoff final!

The bit where you said that none of those four players featured in our best game of the last 18 months? Ince played in that game. 

That was the entire point of your post wasnt it, to lump together 4 of our worst players and comment how they didnt contribute to the most complete performance in a year and a half, ultimately calling these players weaker than their former compatriots?

15 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Have I honestly just seen the Derby Telegraph reporting on a rumour started by an unverified instagram account? Absolutely grim. 

Off topic but the DET really is plumbing the depths.  I read the BBC report this morning of last night's Ireland game to see how Keogh & Christie got on, then read the DET's report.  They've lifted chunks out of the BBC's report literally word for word.  It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a spotty kid doing a GCSE project.

17 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Off topic but the DET really is plumbing the depths.  I read the BBC report this morning of last night's Ireland game to see how Keogh & Christie got on, then read the DET's report.  They've lifted chunks out of the BBC's report literally word for word.  It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a spotty kid doing a GCSE project.

They've been getting progressively worse for a while. Most likely to do with the pressure being on them for clicks...but there's no excuses for laziness like that. They've gone from being a respected source to a source of irritation and misinformation. 

32 minutes ago, Cactooos said:

The bit where you said that none of those four players featured in our best game of the last 18 months? Ince played in that game. 

That was the entire point of your post wasnt it, to lump together 4 of our worst players and comment how they didnt contribute to the most complete performance in a year and a half, ultimately calling these players weaker than their former compatriots?

Tbf the performance dropped when Ince came on. Not saying it was because of Ince coming on, maybe more Weimann going off.

Whatever happens, he's the last one we should look to sell - regardless of a need to balance the books.  Build the team around him.  He's one of those that makes the entrance fee worthwhile, exciting and full of craft and would be irreplaceable for less than 15-20m. 

Archived