Worlds Best Player

David

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

This isn't directed to you Tony but I hate reading comments like Messi hasn't done it in the prem, so what? The prem's an average league in terms of defending. If Barca rejects like Alexis Sanchez are ripping up the prem, who incidentally has a better goal scoring record in England than in Spain,why wouldn't Messi be able to? I guess the likes of Pele,Ronaldo(R9),Zidane, Maradona, Figo,  Maldini,Nesta,Baresi are all a bunch of frauds because they have never done it in the great premier league. No-one ever downplays Giggs or Scholes' careers despite them not doing it in other leagues apart from the premier league(when serie A was the best in the world)

That's fair comment McLovin. I used the Premier League really just as it might be low on quality from many of the sides in it but it's the most competetive. Messi wouldn't get an easy ride like he does from half the la liga sides.

In addition, the fear in which Spanish sides have about Barcelona leads many of them to set up negatively against them therefore affording Messi and co as much time as they need to look that extra bit special.

He hasn't been a true great for the Argentina national side and that's the only other football team other than Barca he's played for so it's all we have to go on. He hasn't impressed overall I don't think in the Argentina shirt.

You're right though, many others have been touted as world class but never played in any other leagues so I guess i can't argue the point about Messi. Regardless of he never plays elsewhere, he is and has been the best footballer of his type in world football at least since 1986.

Would be amazing to see him in the Premier League though.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2017 at 03:21, David said:

Offers nothing but goals. Goals win games.

Fully deserved.

IMG_1185.JPG

Messi scored more goals in 2016 than Ronaldo. Also posted more assists.

The thing is, both the Ballon d'Or and FIFA best player award (whatever it's called) are both individual trophies in a team game. How do you define the impact an individual player has on a team?

I mean, anyone with a brain could see Messi is just far superior to Ronaldo (and was in 2016) in the general aspect of teamplay - goals, assists, dribbles, passing, freekicks etc.

Ronaldo won the award because Madrid won the CL and Portugal won the Euros. That doesn't make sense. So what if Madrid lost the penalty shootout and Portugal weren't handed the easiest run ever to a major trophy final. Does he then miss out on the award? So an individual trophy is dependant on team success - that makes no sense.

Also, I don't know how anyone can question Messi for Argentina. The guy has helped them get to three finals in a row. If Higuain hadn't missed absoloute sitters in all three games, Messi would be rightly regarded as TBE by now.

So one player's inability to convert chances you'd expect Connor Sammon to finish off is all which stands between Messi claiming TBE title and probably last season's (and 2014) Ballon d'Or? 

It really makes no sense. Just watch the game, and again, anyone with a brain can tell Messi is superior and most certainly was throughout 2016.

Archived