Worlds Best Player

David

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi is the best player in the world.  Ronaldo was in the team that won the Champions League and the Euros, the awards he got reflects this, as these awards always tend to do. 

Anyone who disagrees needs to watch more Barcelona and Real Madrid games IMO. 

Still, Ronaldo is pretty damn good.

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Messi is the best player in the world.  Ronaldo was in the team that won the Champions League and the Euros, the awards he got reflects this, as these awards always tend to do. 

He's a top class accountant too.

15 hours ago, Highgate said:

I see your angle but when I watch the impact Ronaldo has on Portugal compared to what Messi does for Argentina there's a big difference. Messi has only ever done it one place, Ronaldo done it at 2 clubs and drove a very average international side to a trophy. Half the time Messi is playing against 9 or 10 men as well, play acting everywhere.

Add to that the immense charity and goodwill gestures Ronaldo performs while Messi and his dad dodge taxes...

Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer of all time. However, Messi is still better in every other aspect and it's not even close. Watch the impact Messi has for Barcelona in comparison to Ronaldo now. Ronaldo is just a goal scorer now, he contributes nothing else to the Real Madrid team. Messi is still the best winger, the best forward, the best number 6, best number 8, best number 10. 

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

I see your angle but when I watch the impact Ronaldo has on Portugal compared to what Messi does for Argentina there's a big difference. Messi has only ever done it one place, Ronaldo done it at 2 clubs and drove a very average international side to a trophy. Half the time Messi is playing against 9 or 10 men as well, play acting everywhere.

Add to that the immense charity and goodwill gestures Ronaldo performs while Messi and his dad dodge taxes...

I wouldn't for a moment argue that Ronaldo isn't a great player.  He is that, without doubt.  The fact that Ronaldo was transferred from one big club to another doesn't really matter as far I'm concerned, I'm not going to question a player's quality simply because they are a 'one-club' man.  I think Messi won have done great things in an Alex Ferguson side too.  I think you are being harsh on Messi's Argentina record, yeah they haven't won anything, but they have made it to the final of the last 3 major tournaments they've played in. Losing 2 on penalties and the other in extra time. Ronaldo obviously starred in Portugal's run to the final in the Euros, but i hardly think he can be credited for the win in the final, seeing as he went off injured after 25 mins.  Not his fault of course...but you have to give some credit to the rest of the Portugal team for winning the trophy rather than giving it all to Ronaldo.  Similar story in the Champions League....great all the way to the final, anonymous on the night. 

The charity and tax stuff has nothing to do with who is the better footballer and incidentally Messi does do a lot for charity (I guess that's easier when you are not paying enough tax!)

Genuinely, I don't think people who watch LaLiga on a regular basis are in much doubt about who the better player is.  I might be wrong in that, but that's my impression.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer of all time. However, Messi is still better in every other aspect and it's not even close. Watch the impact Messi has for Barcelona in comparison to Ronaldo now. Ronaldo is just a goal scorer now, he contributes nothing else to the Real Madrid team. Messi is still the best winger, the best forward, the best number 6, best number 8, best number 10. 

Not sure about number 6, I think he'd have to attempt a few more tackles if he's going to claim that, I'd agree with you on all the rest though.  And you are right, Ronaldo is a box player now, and a brilliantly effective one. But Messi is a creator and finisher.  A comparison in their passing range over the last couple of seasons would show the dramatically different contributions they are making to their respective teams at the moment. 

17 hours ago, Highgate said:

Messi is the best player in the world and although I can't say he's better than other great players of similar ilk from years gone by due to obviously not having seen them play, I can say that since watching football since the Mexico 86 World Cup I have no issue with saying he is the best player I have ever seen by some considerable distance.

Ronaldo is the best player this last year and the triumph for Portugal tipped it in his favour but overall there is no comparison.

Messi is away and gone. Ronaldo is chasing but still miles away and behind Ronaldo are a group of players struggling to even get anywhere near Ronaldo.

Ibrahimavic would be in that pack.

The only criticism I have of Messi is that he has only played in Spain and whilst he still has produced the goods against a wide variety of opposition from all over europe in the CL, it would elevate him to footballing God if he say plat in the Prem and perform week in week out like he does for Barca.

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

The only criticism I have of Messi is that he has only played in Spain and whilst he still has produced the goods against a wide variety of opposition from all over europe in the CL, it would elevate him to footballing God if he say plat in the Prem and perform week in week out like he does for Barca.

Different Leagues with different styles, so it would prove his versatility I suppose if he had torn up the Premier League like he does the Spanish. Still, i think he would, given the chance.

This isn't directed to you Tony but I hate reading comments like Messi hasn't done it in the prem, so what? The prem's an average league in terms of defending. If Barca rejects like Alexis Sanchez are ripping up the prem, who incidentally has a better goal scoring record in England than in Spain,why wouldn't Messi be able to? I guess the likes of Pele,Ronaldo(R9),Zidane, Maradona, Figo,  Maldini,Nesta,Baresi are all a bunch of frauds because they have never done it in the great premier league. No-one ever downplays Giggs or Scholes' careers despite them not doing it in other leagues apart from the premier league(when serie A was the best in the world)

I'm sorry, but messy vs prancing coque is just not really a debate.

Its clear that Chris Baird is the worlds greatest player. Dragged norn iron to a major finals, brought Fulham to life on loan and his buccaneering run!ing sometimes past the halfway line have brought the best out of Ince and bent.

The podcast is delayed because the love @Srg gave him broke Dave's computer.

Archived