Stan Collymore vs Derby fans on Twitter

Cam the Ram

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Both Juan and Mafiabob share excellent valid points here. I am pretty much firmly in the Juan camp overall but i think it's purely down to the reason why most people use twitter rather than the app itself. That's the distinction I want to make.

IMO it's the obsession people have of first of all having a 'status' or 'online presence' - two phrases which turn my stomach. They feel the need to pose in a cringingly embarrassing set up photo of themselves trying to look cool, sometimes alongside their girlfriends / wives and they then use this as their avatar. The very fact that they've consciously gone out of their way to look good, get into pose mode and then post it up there just screams vanity. It screams 'hey look at cool dude me with my cap on sideways and hottie girlfriend sending a visual message to you all that I'm someone you need to listen to and follow guys and gals!'.

It's basically people trying to sell themselves online to anyone who will look and listen. I don't feel any requirement for me to do that and thus struggle to see why others must. Then you get just random photos of say someone's girlfriend and a tweet saying 'missing you babe' or 'this is my sexy girlfriend - can't wait to see you again tonight for a meal and night out'.

The only people who truly care about these statements are the bloke posting them and his girlfriend. Anyone else that needs to know this information as if their life depended on it should be sectioned. So that established, I ask myself the question - why can't this bloke ring the lass and tell her himself? Failing that, if she's busy text her a few times. It's called personal communication and having a sense of privacy, two vitally important areas of ones life that have eroded so much that they are becoming extinct.

The only two people in the whole world who are interested and really are entitled to see these private messages are the sender and receiver. NOT the rest of the world and his wife!

So you see twitter used for this reason just gets clogged up with stuff. Pointless stuff, most of which should be private or communicated between concerned parties and not between potentially everyone on the planet with access to the internet.

Impersonality. Easy throwaway comments of gratitude or passion also annoy me. For example footballers. They should not be on twitter. "great support today from the travelling fans thanks so much you were amazing".

Common place from footballers on the net who just think a quick tweet means they are fully appreciative and fully open and engaging in communication with fans. You can rattle off a placatory tweet in seconds and get on with the rest of your night. To me they mean absolutely nothing.

I fully get that twitter allows communication in the one place where the most people in the world can access it but this just makes posting stuff even more easy to do and easier to dismiss. There seems no real effort or desire to reconnect with fans on a more personal and meaningful / respectful level.

You are a Carlisle fan and your team gets mullered 5-0 down at Exeter on a freezing cold Saturday in January. You set off at 5am, have spent best part of 80 quid and you're tired and have stopped off at Tebay services. You check tweets and striker Charlie Wyke says,"bad day at the office all round today, gutted. So sorry for the travelling fans you were immense".

I'd happily question the integrity of both parts of such a tweet and it would annoy the hell out of me even more.

Again, it's just another really easy way that footballers can make out they connect and care about fans without having to exert themselves, do anything meaningful or lift a finger. Well, they've got to lift at least one finger to type.

That's why (on another thread) I highlighted the fact that the Yeovil Town players and manager had clubbed together and chucked money in a pot to buy each Glover that travelled up to their away game at Carlisle recently a pie and a pint.

This I the kind of tangible action that needs to happen across football and more often. There are stacks of things / gestures that can be done by players to thank fans and appreciate them IF THEY REALLY MEAN IT. If they are really, really genuine. For most though, a pacifying tweet concocted and sent in seconds does the trick for blinkered twitter obsessed fans. It won't wash with me. I have more respect for footballers who choose to stay away from twitter (are there even any?) as IMO I hold their views and opinions with more weight.

Throwaway comments about issues do my head in. Someone will have a rant about the council or something or how it's a disgrace that foodbanks are being used in 2017 Britain. Then instead of going out, buying food to donate to food banks, offering their help on a voluntary basis then petitioning the government and local authority they'll go and make themselves a cup of tea and stick Tricia on and put their feet up. Job done. That's certainly helped. Feel better now. Facebook is full of this procrastinating BS.

These sites so indeed highlight just how many people in society I really need to avoid. Easiest solution is not to use them so I don't. My problem is that much of society is now in the firm grip of one or all of these sites and you trying to make friends with people with this is mind is difficult. Difficult to find common ground.

"Hi man. You're new here aren't you?"

"Yes. I started on Monday. Still settling in"

"I know mate, it's always tough starting a new job. Look, you on twitter?"

"No sorry. Don't use it".

"Facebook then? You on facebook?"

"No. If you speak to me again I will remove some of your teeth."

Ok so it's an extreme example but I've certainly had to dismiss possible friendships as completely out of hand purely due to others not being able to hold a 5 minute conversation without checking their social media every few seconds. I find it rude and ignorant.

Also why does abuse be tolerated on these sites? Surely people can easily be traced and reported to the police?

Arguments.com I think will be new name for twitter soon.

Mafiabob makes a great point although I've waffled on so much above that i think I've just forgotten it.

No that's it. Twitter and facebook used for constructive purposes I can see is the best use of it. You can access groups of likeminded kind or help if you are struggling with things and it can open doors to meeting people and getting help so it does serve a positive purpose.

Also as I follow non league football, I can use twitter to get say updates from Scarborough Athletic v Hyde United or any other non league side as there will always be someone at the game tweeting the details.

Lastly, two other things that annoy me if I may. One is the presumption that everyone uses facebook. People are almost brainwashed and forced into using it as many if not all companies and businesses use it to promote themselves. My kid goes to gymnastics and they've scrapped their website and gone over to facebook. So unless I check it all the time I could miss important info about class changes and things.

Also 'like'. I know this site has a 'like' button but I'm ok with giving the nod to Angry, Paul, Jono, Chester, Mafiabob, SKRam, DEL, (other posters are available) on here but what I refuse to do and cannot fathom why others do is 'like' Cillit Bang.

Somebody has actually consciously clicked on an icon to say they like Cillit Bang. (other products are available) . That's almost as much time and meaninglessness taken up by footballers fan appreciation tweets!!

Social media is insane. Future evolution almost certainly means we won't need to speak or think but our fingers and thumbs will be like horses penises!!

Mine are already after posting this gargantuan waste of everybody's time. :blink:

I know why you don't like Twitter. 140 characters just ain't enough.

19 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Both Juan and Mafiabob share excellent valid points here. I am pretty much firmly in the Juan camp overall but i think it's purely down to the reason why most people use twitter rather than the app itself. That's the distinction I want to make.

IMO it's the obsession people have of first of all having a 'status' or 'online presence' - two phrases which turn my stomach. They feel the need to pose in a cringingly embarrassing set up photo of themselves trying to look cool, sometimes alongside their girlfriends / wives and they then use this as their avatar. The very fact that they've consciously gone out of their way to look good, get into pose mode and then post it up there just screams vanity. It screams 'hey look at cool dude me with my cap on sideways and hottie girlfriend sending a visual message to you all that I'm someone you need to listen to and follow guys and gals!'.

It's basically people trying to sell themselves online to anyone who will look and listen. I don't feel any requirement for me to do that and thus struggle to see why others must. Then you get just random photos of say someone's girlfriend and a tweet saying 'missing you babe' or 'this is my sexy girlfriend - can't wait to see you again tonight for a meal and night out'.

The only people who truly care about these statements are the bloke posting them and his girlfriend. Anyone else that needs to know this information as if their life depended on it should be sectioned. So that established, I ask myself the question - why can't this bloke ring the lass and tell her himself? Failing that, if she's busy text her a few times. It's called personal communication and having a sense of privacy, two vitally important areas of ones life that have eroded so much that they are becoming extinct.

The only two people in the whole world who are interested and really are entitled to see these private messages are the sender and receiver. NOT the rest of the world and his wife!

So you see twitter used for this reason just gets clogged up with stuff. Pointless stuff, most of which should be private or communicated between concerned parties and not between potentially everyone on the planet with access to the internet.

Impersonality. Easy throwaway comments of gratitude or passion also annoy me. For example footballers. They should not be on twitter. "great support today from the travelling fans thanks so much you were amazing".

Common place from footballers on the net who just think a quick tweet means they are fully appreciative and fully open and engaging in communication with fans. You can rattle off a placatory tweet in seconds and get on with the rest of your night. To me they mean absolutely nothing.

I fully get that twitter allows communication in the one place where the most people in the world can access it but this just makes posting stuff even more easy to do and easier to dismiss. There seems no real effort or desire to reconnect with fans on a more personal and meaningful / respectful level.

You are a Carlisle fan and your team gets mullered 5-0 down at Exeter on a freezing cold Saturday in January. You set off at 5am, have spent best part of 80 quid and you're tired and have stopped off at Tebay services. You check tweets and striker Charlie Wyke says,"bad day at the office all round today, gutted. So sorry for the travelling fans you were immense".

I'd happily question the integrity of both parts of such a tweet and it would annoy the hell out of me even more.

Again, it's just another really easy way that footballers can make out they connect and care about fans without having to exert themselves, do anything meaningful or lift a finger. Well, they've got to lift at least one finger to type.

That's why (on another thread) I highlighted the fact that the Yeovil Town players and manager had clubbed together and chucked money in a pot to buy each Glover that travelled up to their away game at Carlisle recently a pie and a pint.

This I the kind of tangible action that needs to happen across football and more often. There are stacks of things / gestures that can be done by players to thank fans and appreciate them IF THEY REALLY MEAN IT. If they are really, really genuine. For most though, a pacifying tweet concocted and sent in seconds does the trick for blinkered twitter obsessed fans. It won't wash with me. I have more respect for footballers who choose to stay away from twitter (are there even any?) as IMO I hold their views and opinions with more weight.

Throwaway comments about issues do my head in. Someone will have a rant about the council or something or how it's a disgrace that foodbanks are being used in 2017 Britain. Then instead of going out, buying food to donate to food banks, offering their help on a voluntary basis then petitioning the government and local authority they'll go and make themselves a cup of tea and stick Tricia on and put their feet up. Job done. That's certainly helped. Feel better now. Facebook is full of this procrastinating BS.

These sites so indeed highlight just how many people in society I really need to avoid. Easiest solution is not to use them so I don't. My problem is that much of society is now in the firm grip of one or all of these sites and you trying to make friends with people with this is mind is difficult. Difficult to find common ground.

Ok so it's an extreme example but I've certainly had to dismiss possible friendships as completely out of hand purely due to others not being able to hold a 5 minute conversation without checking their social media every few seconds. I find it rude and ignorant.

Also why does abuse be tolerated on these sites? Surely people can easily be traced and reported to the police?

Mafiabob makes a great point although I've waffled on so much above that i think I've just forgotten it.

No that's it. Twitter and facebook used for constructive purposes I can see is the best use of it. You can access groups of likeminded kind or help if you are struggling with things and it can open doors to meeting people and getting help so it does serve a positive purpose.

Also as I follow non league football, I can use twitter to get say updates from Scarborough Athletic v Hyde United or any other non league side as there will always be someone at the game tweeting the details.

Lastly, two other things that annoy me if I may. One is the presumption that everyone uses facebook. People are almost brainwashed and forced into using it as many if not all companies and businesses use it to promote themselves. My kid goes to gymnastics and they've scrapped their website and gone over to facebook. So unless I check it all the time I could miss important info about class changes and things.

Also 'like'. I know this site has a 'like' button but I'm ok with giving the nod to Angry, Paul, Jono, Chester, Mafiabob, SKRam, DEL, (other posters are available) on here but what I refuse to do and cannot fathom why others do is 'like' Cillit Bang.

Somebody has actually consciously clicked on an icon to say they like Cillit Bang. (other products are available) . That's almost as much time and meaninglessness taken up by footballers fan appreciation tweets!!

Social media is insane. Future evolution almost certainly means we won't need to speak or think but our fingers and thumbs will be like horses penises!!

Mine are already after posting this gargantuan waste of everybody's time. :blink:

image.gif

20 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

To be fair to them mate,  "Liking" a page is essentially the same as "Following" someone on Twitter or on here. Once you've like the page, everything they post appears on your timeline. Not sure why they would particularly want to see what Cillit Bang posts though?. 

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

To be fair to them mate,  "Liking" a page is essentially the same as "Following" someone on Twitter or on here. Once you've like the page, everything they post appears on your timeline. Not sure why they would particularly want to see what Cillit Bang posts though?. 

'timeline'

That's another daft thing but i won't go on about it. ;)

Archived