If we sign Nugent do we still want Martin back.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to remember and I'm sure this is smc's motivation,that we struggled badly when Martin was injured in 2014 and whilst we had strikers available in theory,none could replicate his play.....

Bent, vydra,Blackman and weiman are very different types of strikers to Nugent and Martin and I believe that smc intends to have Martin and Nugent as his striker top two who can play a similar role to each other if one is injured...Who starts more often out of those two will depend on performance.

Bent still has a role this season and will be the spare striker,preferably in his traditional last twenty minutes impact role where his is superb.

I can't see a future for vydra,weiman and Blackman once Martin is back....They will be moved on

Nugent reminds me of Tommy Johnson in terms of on field attitude. He plays the game with a big smile. Always been a fan of him for this. Johnson I remember well at BBG, even a poor performance fans loved him. Just wish more players would actually look like they enjoy their 'job'. Nugent certainly is one up on Martin for smiles on the field!! Looking forward to seeing him in a white shirt! 

40 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Nugent reminds me of Tommy Johnson in terms of on field attitude. He plays the game with a big smile. Always been a fan of him for this. Johnson I remember well at BBG, even a poor performance fans loved him. Just wish more players would actually look like they enjoy their 'job'. Nugent certainly is one up on Martin for smiles on the field!! Looking forward to seeing him in a white shirt! 

1478282134690352.jpg

I think that the significant 'other' in this is more likely to be Bent than Martin. He has been working on for some time and actually launched his academy yesterday. 

Maybe he's already decided to hang up his boots at the end of the season and we already know this? 

Nugent could be our new elder statesman and all round good influence on the younger players. 

25 minutes ago, cannable said:

The most recent news is from the DT who have reported that the Martin stance hasn't changed even with Nugent.

The article states that the Fulham board have backed their Manager in letting Martin sitting the rest of the season out, if needs be.

Maybe we have been informed of such, hence Nugent.

I can see the Martin situation running until the end of Jan, maybe even him returning last minute at the end of the window. I dont see peoples problem with adding another forward player, especially a proven one at this level. There will be games when we have to change it and players like Nugent will give us the flexibility to do that.

TobyWanKenobi

I don't think it hurts to have multiple options, but I believe that the signing of Nugent probably indicates Mel & Macs belief that bringing Martin back this season is unlikely.

I doubt Fulham will want to shell out the full fee for him come the end of the season though.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

So Mac likes 4-3-3

So if martin comes back this month [for those that think he will]

We will have to pick a front 3 from,  -

Bent, Ince, Russell, Nugent, Vydra, Weimann, Blackman and Martin?

What have 5 sat on the bench?

You assume no outgoings....

Archived