If we sign Nugent do we still want Martin back.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Bent out of contract in summer and ship Vydra out. Leaves Nugent and Martin who are both capable playing that lone striker role next season. 

Bent got option to take a further year or not. Up to him and the club though, I'd rather keep Vydra. 

4 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Bent got option to take a further year or not. Up to him and the club though, I'd rather keep Vydra. 

Don't see how they will get much game time next season with Martin and Nugent playing. Unless we shift Vydra to the wing I can't see him ever fitting into our style of play. 

Don't see how they will get much game time next season with Martin and Nugent playing. Unless we **** Vydra to the wing I can't see him ever fitting into our style of play. 

Talk about that next season rather now tbh. 

Well yeah, but can you really see Vydra getting much games with all those strikers? I don't think Mac rates him that much if he's already looking for other strikers. 

Mac rates him and said he's the future. He can play on the wing too. 

It don't look like we're gonna get Martin back anyway...not this window, with Fulham digging their heels in, though ironically I see they're interested in signing Nugent as well...maybe if they did they might let go of Martin!

A better outcome would perhaps be for us to sign Nugent ahead of Fulham and leave them with a striker who don't even wanna be there lol

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Most depressing thread ever. Nugent Martin and Bent is akin to asking us to choose between Larry Mo and Curly. :o

Yeah, two ex-england internationals and our top scorer over the past 3 years. Wrist-slashing time int'it.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Tell me; who do you actually rate as a good Championship striker? 

From what I can tell they have to be:

• Fast
  • Technically good
  • Have good movement
  • Be strong
  • Be a good dribbler
  • Be good in the air
  • Be a clinical finisher
  • Be able to create goals for themselves
  • Be involved with the build up play
  • And most importantly don't play for Derby

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

From what I can tell they have to be:

• Fast
  • Technically good
  • Have good movement
  • Be strong
  • Be a good dribbler
  • Be good in the air
  • Be a clinical finisher
  • Be able to create goals for themselves
  • Be involved with the build up play
  • And most importantly don't play for Derby

I can't remember who it was I saw having a discussion but they were giving examples of how pace is what gives top footballers that edge and proceeded to produce examples of Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale and Neymar, Mesi and Suarez and that's why we should go for someone fast :lol:

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Thing is m8 we haven't got anyone at all like Martin to play in a 4-3-3 so maybe that's why Nugent is coming in.  

I myself think Nugent is a more pacey player than Martin but doesn't hold the ball up or lay it off as well and doesn't knit the play up as well as Martin in a 4-3-3 and is 3 years older at 31  

All a bit confusing really as I thought Martin was coming back. 

I agree, we need someone who can play that role better than what we have but not Martin for me. Good in the past but has slowly been getting less and less effective as his time went on with us. Always hated his body language on the pitch but it was accepted whilst he was scoring.. Now we just have attitude and less goals. He is never a Premier League striker as well and if we have aspirations on that front we need to look at something else.

Nugent seems to be a shrewd buy.....my view is that Martin is coming back but we have always needed a similar player to back him up and not disrupt or cause a totally different style of play to have to be introduced.

Bent is our perennIal goal scoring sub but just doesn't do enough link up play or holding up of the ball.

ince can clearly play with both Martin and therefore Nugent plus he's happy with bent too as shown recently.....

Vydra is a great Ayer but totally unsuited to Derbys style and I would attempt to move him,weiman and Blackman on......none of which have made an impact.

Archived