Club / Fans praise thread

Tony Le Mesmer

In all sorts of trouble are Morecambe FC . Brazilian owners buggered off and left them high and dry, no money for wages and an uncertain future.

Manager Jim Bentley recently got sent to the stands and the fans have rallied around to pay his £1000 FA fine!

Football fans get a bad press but there are lots of kindhearted generous people out there in football land. Amazing from the Shrimp Army.

Mind you Bentley only needs to stare at you a bit funny and you'd empty the contents of your wallet right there but that's not the point. He was visibly touched by the gesture. (video I on Bbc sport league 2 page - don't know how to link , sorry!).

I just wish that football clubs would do things like random acts of kindness to help fans now and again instead of taking all the time.

I know recently the Yeovil Town players and manager put their own money up to buy each travelling Glover a pie and a pint at Carlisle which I thought was amazing.

About 100 Yeovil fans at a fiver a head so that's 500 quid between about 25 Yeovil staff so that's 20 quid a piece the Yeovil players and manager would have had to fork out. It's pretty much nothing but means so much and cements the bond between fans and their club.

I thought I'd make this thread for people to post on highlighting any stories in the world of football worthy of praise. It will probably die a death after a day or so but hey, what the hell. ;)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uncle Mel had us covered a while back, not sure how many people took him up on it, I had five pints and donned my trusty beer jacket instead.

"The club’s Chairman has revealed that he will provide a free hot drink to home fans attending the Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Bristol City on Tuesday 15th December (7:45pm)."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-chairman-mel-morris-offers-free-hot-drink-to-all-supporters-2841995.aspx

34 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

In all sorts of trouble are Morecambe FC . Brazilian owners buggered off and left them high and dry, no money for wages and an uncertain future.

Manager Jim Bentley recently got sent to the stands and the fans have rallied around to pay his £1000 FA fine!

Football fans get a bad press but there are lots of kindhearted generous people out there in football land. Amazing from the Shrimp Army.

Mind you Bentley only needs to stare at you a bit funny and you'd empty the contents of your wallet right there but that's not the point. He was visibly touched by the gesture. (video I on Bbc sport league 2 page - don't know how to link , sorry!).

I just wish that football clubs would do things like random acts of kindness to help fans now and again instead of taking all the time.

I know recently the Yeovil Town players and manager put their own money up to buy each travelling Glover a pie and a pint at Carlisle which I thought was amazing.

About 100 Yeovil fans at a fiver a head so that's 500 quid between about 25 Yeovil staff so that's 20 quid a piece the Yeovil players and manager would have had to fork out. It's pretty much nothing but means so much and cements the bond between fans and their club.

I thought I'd make this thread for people to post on highlighting any stories in the world of football worthy of praise. It will probably die a death after a day or so but hey, what the hell. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38548124

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Uncle Mel had us covered a while back, not sure how many people took him up on it, I had five pints and donned my trusty beer jacket instead.

"The club’s Chairman has revealed that he will provide a free hot drink to home fans attending the Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Bristol City on Tuesday 15th December (7:45pm)."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-chairman-mel-morris-offers-free-hot-drink-to-all-supporters-2841995.aspx

Leicester fans got a beer and a donut. Sausage cobs all round please mel !

Club apologises for Carrow Road FA Cup ticket prices

NORWICH City Football Club has apologised to supporters for misjudging the prices set for last Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup clash with Southampton at Carrow Road. 

The Club can now confirm fans will be able to take advantage of FREE Club Canary Coach Travel for the third round replay against Southampton at St. Mary’s Stadium on Wednesday, January 18 (7:45pm), with a plum home tie against Arsenal awaiting the winners in the next round. 

The offer is in appreciation of the fantastic support offered to the Club by City fans throughout this season - and also in recognition of the feedback received by the Club after Saturday’s match at Carrow Road, which saw the Canaries draw 2-2 with the Saints to earn the trip to St Mary’s. 

A club spokesman said: "The Club is proud to stand on its own two feet financially but this does require that we maintain a delicate balance between generating revenue to support the strongest squad possible and also providing the fairest prices for our loyal supporters. 

"Based on supporter feedback and the low attendance, we got that balance wrong with the prices we set for our FA Cup game against Southampton on Saturday and we apologise for that. The Board have taken the decision to offer free coach travel to St Mary’s for our important replay against the Saints and we hope as many City fans as possible will make the journey to cheer on the team." 

Canaries supporters will now be able to make the 400-mile round trip to Southampton FREE of charge, meaning a saving of £33 per person on the original advertised coach travel price. 

To claim your free coach ticket, or to purchase match tickets for Southampton, telephone 0844 826 1902. Alternatively, CLICK HERE to book online or visit the Ticket Offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield in person. 

Those fans who have already purchased Southampton coach travel can claim a full refund by visiting the Ticket Offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield with their ticket. 

Ticket prices for the game are as follows: 

Adults - £12 
65+ - £10 
18-21 - £10 
Under-18s - £5

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/norwich-city-southampton-ticket-prices-3511370.aspx#Srpy0KQRGVLG47Cb.99

Ballsed up in the first instance, but at least they rectified it

Southampton striker Charlie Austin has loaned his private box out to local side Poole Town in order for them to entertain potential sponsors as they try and find 70k or face demotion.

Poole was Charlies former club back in the day.

Nice gesture. Maybe he could have chucked a few grand in as well though.:whistle:

Last year Celtic fans raised £180,000 for Palestinian charities after the club was fined by FIFA because fans waved Palestinian flags when they played an Israeli team.  Fans wanted to "match the fine" but exceeded it 20-fold.  Great stuff.

Update below, or search "Match The Fine."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/22/celtic-fans-raise-45000-for-palestinian-charities-after-flag-protest

Tranmere Rovers had a Super White Christmas Appeal to help underprivileged people in the Wirral.

At recent games the appeal facilitated by the club, the community and local businesses donated free pies and drinks, free lunches, free hats and scarves, free visits to Santa with presents amongst loads of other things to help.

A three year old girl who attended the Christmas Day lunch with her family who were struggling this Christmas told a Rovers representative that 'Father Christmas couldn't go to her house on Christmas Eve'.

She and others went to Tranmere and had lunch, gifts and got to meet Santa.

It looks like at least one club in the lower leagues (non league now) cares.

On 10 January 2017 at 12:24, Animal is a Ram said:

And you know what .. It's when anyone, individual or football club can do that. ...hold your hand up and say I messed up it is a great day for all of us.

i quite like Norwich now. Straight bat .. I like that. Stops me being too cynical. As far as DCFC are concerned I think the reasonable ticket prices for the Leicester game is an example of fair play .. Unlike a certain team in West Yorkshire  

• 2 weeks later...

Crewe Alex fans.

Away at Exeter today. 3-0 down and a man sent off on 82 minutes yet they still stayed to witness a 4th Exeter goal and a total pasting. I'd have probably gone when the 3rd went in to be fair if I was that far away from home........:lol:

Just out of interest, has anyone ever left a game early thinking they had it won / lost only for something ridiculous to happen afterwards?

Archived