Assists for winning penalties

Bridgford Ram

I've never understood why winning a penalty that is subsequently scored is classed as an assist unless the same player wins and scores the penalty.  I get it that technically you can't set up your own goal for a normal goal but this doesn't apply to a penalty.

anyone explain for me?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

didnt realise it was, so how does it work if penalty is taken, saved but then someone else taps it in on the rebound? who gets the assist then?

19 hours ago, Paul71 said:

didnt realise it was, so how does it work if penalty is taken, saved but then someone else taps it in on the rebound? who gets the assist then?

The taker if anyone as he has provided the latest effort that lead to the goal. Essentially when you win a penalty you give a teammate a free shot from 12 yards if he scores you should be credited with the assist.

19 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think it was Sage that said Russell got an assist for his shot that Hughes tapped in vs Forest

Assist stat is proper turd. 

They are and they aren't. On a small data set (like goals) they can be a bit iffy and they should be considered in conjunction with other stats (such as chances created on the like). However over a big enough data set they do provide a good indicator of a creative player. i.e. somebody who averages 10 assists a season is more than likely more creative than a player who averages 3 assists a season. I think this is particularly true when it comes to more advanced positions such as striker or winger.

Archived