David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

What makes you think that you know more than the manager does about what players will and won't fit into the system that he wants to play? How do you know he doesn't want to change the system? How do you know the player cannot adapt to the system (or, for that matter that he isnt right for how we play now), how do you know he isn't being brought in to facilitate the fabled 'plan B'? and how do you know all these things before he has either signed for the club or kicked a ball!?

I realise we all have opinions about players, managers, systems and all other things about the game, but there is something so relentlessly 'definite', condescending and uncompromising about posts like this! They irriate the bejesus out of me. 

To say that any signings have been pointless and ill thought out is nonsense. All signings are made to address something the manager wants to address. Just because this doesn't fit into your self proclaimed expert view does not make them wrong signings, lther than in hindsight. Also, looking at somebody like Blackman and saying 'i said all along he'd be rubbish' doesn't make anybody look clever, it makes them look smug.  It also isn't clever if you say the same thing about every signing just to stock up on 'i told you so' moments a few months later. Not all signings work out. Thats football. Not all bad signings have been made by idiots, either here or at any other club.  Aaggh.

He should maybe apply for a job..... 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

What makes you think that you know more than the manager does about what players will and won't fit into the system that he wants to play? How do you know he doesn't want to change the system? How do you know the player cannot adapt to the system (or, for that matter that he isnt right for how we play now), how do you know he isn't being brought in to facilitate the fabled 'plan B'? and how do you know all these things before he has either signed for the club or kicked a ball!?

I realise we all have opinions about players, managers, systems and all other things about the game, but there is something so relentlessly 'definite', condescending and uncompromising about posts like this! They irriate the bejesus out of me. 

To say that any signings have been pointless and ill thought out is nonsense. All signings are made to address something the manager wants to address. Just because this doesn't fit into your self proclaimed expert view does not make them wrong signings, lther than in hindsight. Also, looking at somebody like Blackman and saying 'i said all along he'd be rubbish' doesn't make anybody look clever, it makes them look smug.  It also isn't clever if you say the same thing about every signing just to stock up on 'i told you so' moments a few months later. Not all signings work out. Thats football. Not all bad signings have been made by idiots, either here or at any other club.  Aaggh.

To be fair though...surely to say I 'told you so' you have to say/predict it before it happens...

15 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Kind of the middle man in the debate , I can see were your coming from as in not writing the player off before he's even signed. But on the flip side have to agree with what some of what @Bris Vegas is saying we kind of already have a younger version of Nugent in Vydra . But hey we've got trust in the club and the management team. 

Graeme Bailey who is a Boro fan and respected journalist says that Nugent was always our number 1 striking target, and that we are paying 2m

Derby County are close to sealing a deal for Middlesbrough striker David Nugent, HITC Sport understands.

The Rams had been linked with a move for Nugent's team-mate Jordan Rhodes, but HITC Sport has been told by sources close to Derby that the former England international target was always their main target.

Steve McClaren is still hoping Derby may pay to get Chris Martin back from Fulham, where he is on loan, and at the very least he will be back in the summer - so signing Rhodes was never really in their thinking.

"Nugent has always been the main target from Boro, and Boro knew that after contact was first made a few weeks ago," the source told HITC Sports.

"The player has had interest from about 10 Championship clubs, but Derby have always been at the front of the queue."

Nugent is expected to head to Derby for talks and a medical early next week, once the two clubs have finalised a deal.

Nugent joined Boro in the summer of 2015 from Leicester in a £2million deal, and that is understood to be the fee Derby are paying to land him.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Thinking about it, if true we've basically swapped Grant for Nugent. I can't really complain to be honest. 

Certainly makes me feel for positive about it, when looking at it like that.

Will probably score plenty for us, will run his socks off, and can play as a lone man up top.

He's also going to be an excellent option to come off the bench when Chris Martin comes back, which he is ;) 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Certainly makes me feel for positive about it, when looking at it like that.

Will probably score plenty for us, will run his socks off, and can play as a lone man up top.

He's also going to be an excellent option to come off the bench when Chris Martin comes back, which he is ;) 

would love Martin back  now ....   that  cretin  Nigel Pearson as a lot to answer to ..but what would expect of a person born in Snottingham   and managed Fester   :angry:

Just now, neil62uk said:

would love Martin back  now ....   that  cretin  Nigel Pearson as a lot to answer to ..but what would expect of a person born in Snottingham   and managed Fester   :angry:

Wouldn't worry too much, Neil!

He's coming home ;) 

Archived