David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

I'm glad to see we wanted Kodija but refused to pay the stupid £15m that Villa did. I'm glad (if reports are true) that we are refusing to pay £12m for Rhodes. Neither are worth it and it's good we're prepared to walk away if we feel the deal doesn't suit us.

It does though leave us shopping at a slightly lower level. I may be alone here but if we've got one million or two million to spend, you could do a lot worse than Nugent. Tried and tested in this division, good experience and attitude. Might just what we need for the final push, as long as it doesn't cost us too much. 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Did you not see how good Shackell was yesterday . He was immense, just because he's on the bench now doesn't mean it's forever . What if Pearce or Keogh get injured or suspended? Although I'm all for promoting youth it's nice having the experience and quality on the bench. 

We've allowed Grant to go to Stoke, with young Mitchell as a backup. Sometimes you have to gamble. I think we need to improve our starting lineup. It appears that bringing Martin back would do that.

1 hour ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Shambles. Strange signing if true. Thought we are after a target man instead of Martin 

What made you think that?

You do realise that DCFC transfer targets aren't decided on this forum don't you? Good job too because so far spending would be up around the £150m mark. 

Calling shambles on a move that hasn't happened is silly.

And if the move does go ahead and you think it is a shambles then maybe you should start calling for a change of manager, see how many people agree with what you think?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You do realise that DCFC transfer targets aren't decided on this forum don't you? Good job too because so far spending would be up around the £150m mark. 

And if the move does go ahead and you think it is a shambles then maybe you should start calling for a change of manager, see how many people agree with what you think?

:mellow: There is an element of tongue n cheek in my post. As if I would make my mind up on him after his first warm up.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Only 150! :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, peachmyster said:

Please god no David nugent aged 30 plus there is better out there bamford for one 

1) what wrong with his age? I don't see the issue tbh. 

2) He's good in this level and at least he won't be scoring against us!!!

3) Who is better out there?

4) Bamford no thanks and can't even hack Premier League. 

5) Kevin Phillips been here done that in 30s and look at Defoe. 

:thumbsup:

I would prefer Danny Graham if we have little money and Martin isn't coming back. Brings us something different to Bent and Vydra and scores around 1 in every 2.5 games in the championship since his goalless loan spell with us all those years ago.

Also his style of play lasts better into his 30s than Nugent's,

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm fairly certain some members of this forum could have done a much better job on the transfer front than those making the decisions over the past 18 months. Our transfer record has been dire during Mel's reign.

This is yet another signing which makes such little sense. He doesn't fit into the system, so why on earth are we looking at a 31-year-old for a reported £ 3million and likely on hefty wages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the player as Nugent has proven to be a decent scorer at this level. But he doesn't fit the system in which we want to play. It's utterly pointless and ill-thought-out, just like the majority of the signings we've made over the past 18 months.

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

So much for buying players better than the current crop, good old Chris Evans strikes again.

Won't forgive Nugent for turning us down for Pompys £££, no thanks 

I'm sure choosing Portsmouth instead of that Derby side on lower wages has given him many a sleepless night...

17 minutes ago, sage said:

I would prefer Danny Graham if we have little money and Martin isn't coming back. Brings us something different to Bent and Vydra and scores around 1 in every 2.5 games in the championship since his goalless loan spell with us all those years ago.

Also his style of play lasts better into his 30s than Nugent's,

yes Danny Graham  as certainly come on since his younger days   just didnt work for him during his 14 appearances with us  ..but  119 goals later     good shout 

I'm with Bris on this one, not quite sure why we think Nugent is the man to play as a lone striker in our system. He's a good player at this level, just as Vydra is, but are we not more than likely to be sat here in 5 months time (again) asking why we've signed another player that doesn't fit the criteria we need meeting to play the system we do under macca. 

If he signs then I'll be behind him 100% but we can all see what we need up top, it's been highlighted even more so in the past month so why aren't we finding someone with the ability required to play that role? Seems odd to me, scouting team get the benefit of doubt for now but our recent signings don't fill me with confidence. 

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm fairly certain some members of this forum could have done a much better job on the transfer front than those making the decisions over the past 18 months. Our transfer record has been dire during Mel's reign.

This is yet another signing which makes such little sense. He doesn't fit into the system, so why on earth are we looking at a 31-year-old for a reported £ 3million and likely on hefty wages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the player as Nugent has proven to be a decent scorer at this level. But he doesn't fit the system in which we want to play. It's utterly pointless and ill-thought-out, just like the majority of the signings we've made over the past 18 months.

Well if this rumour is true, I imagine McClaren has been consulted on this and believes that he can adapt to fit Nugent into the system or maybe sees him as a plan B.

It's only a few months ago that Pearce, Butterfield and Johnson were ill thought out signings who had no place in our squad and experts on here were offering to drive them to other clubs for a free transfer...

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What makes you think that you know more than the manager does about what players will and won't fit into the system that he wants to play? How do you know he doesn't want to change the system? How do you know the player cannot adapt to the system (or, for that matter that he isnt right for how we play now), how do you know he isn't being brought in to facilitate the fabled 'plan B'? and how do you know all these things before he has either signed for the club or kicked a ball!?

I realise we all have opinions about players, managers, systems and all other things about the game, but there is something so relentlessly 'definite', condescending and uncompromising about posts like this! They irriate the bejesus out of me. 

To say that any signings have been pointless and ill thought out is nonsense. All signings are made to address something the manager wants to address. Just because this doesn't fit into your self proclaimed expert view does not make them wrong signings, lther than in hindsight. Also, looking at somebody like Blackman and saying 'i said all along he'd be rubbish' doesn't make anybody look clever, it makes them look smug.  It also isn't clever if you say the same thing about every signing just to stock up on 'i told you so' moments a few months later. Not all signings work out. Thats football. Not all bad signings have been made by idiots, either here or at any other club.  Aaggh.

4 hours ago, KBB said:

Nugent is a proven goal scorer in the championship, promotions from the championship, premier league goals.

Yes I accept that, but we have Bent in the "older" camp and for that price I'd just prefer a player with more of a possibility of longevity if a loan move turned into a permanent deal, and a loan is less of a risk financially.

Archived