David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hiltonram said:

Agree with most posts, there is no point in signing Nugent unless we go to two up front and then we have bent, vydra, wiemann and vernam.

imho   its not working out for Wiemann  or Vydra  at Derby   ,and the sad criteria is    we would have to take a substantial loss  if we where to sell them on  

From a squad perspective it looks like Nugent will come in to replace Chris Martin for the remainder of this season & then at the end of the season Darren Bent who will almost certainly be moving on then. Whilst not a spring chicken he will be younger and a better option than Bent next year if we are still in the Championship. If we do go up then we will be shopping in a different pool of players for new strikers anyway and another Champiosnhip team will take a punt on him.

Striking Options

2016/17 - Bent, Nugent, Vydra , Blackman, Vernam

2017/18 - Martin, Nugent, Vydra, Blackman, Vernam

I think Nugent will bring us something different. He is more mobile than Martin, fitter than Bent, more physical than Vydra. He can play in a 1 or a 2 up front & always works hard, runs the channels but can also finish too. Much better option for us than Jordan Rhodes IMO especially if we get him for £1.5m-£2m plus add ons.

29 minutes ago, Papahet said:

So much for buying players better than the current crop, good old Chris Evans strikes again.

Won't forgive Nugent for turning us down for Pompys £££, no thanks 

when was that then?

Pretty sure you're making up lies. My recollection is that we wouldn't pay the money.

Although Nugent is proven goal scorer at this level I think his best days are gone. He would also want a descent contract. Better to look for someone younger and up and coming from the lower leagues. 

Just seen a young lad playing up front for Peterboro against Chelsea who looked useful.

Ah the old seen a Player in one game/highlights scouting report.

Who needs a player with championship goals, england caps, premier league goals, promotions from this division, when we can have some kid from Peterborough who had such a good game you can't remember his name.

There's something rather sad at taking players not good enough for Middlesbrough and treating a win against West Brom like a massive achievement. Shows how far those clubs have gone in recent times (and well done to them) compared to us as it wasn't long ago that they were both our equals. 

I don't understand the negativity towards this one to be honest, Nugent has a good work rate, can hold on to the ball well, can pass well and he knows where the back of the net is. He's also played roles in helping his last two sides to promotion. I'd happily have him regardless of his age. £3m is certainly steep but Boro will want to get back most of the £4m they paid for him last summer.

2 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

One minute Nicko is reporting that we've got £20m to spend, then he is saying that we have been "priced out" of a move for Rhodes. Make your mind up mate. 

read the thread properly ffs! He never said that at all :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

when was that then?

Pretty sure you're making up lies. My recollection is that we wouldn't pay the money.

Speaking of which, weren't you telling everyone the other day that it wasn't Nugent we were after, but Rhodes...?

Archived