Are we a difficult club to manage?

mrdave85

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

So, man who has never done the job, says the job is hard to do.

OK, I've never been a brain surgeon, so I can categorically state it's a piece of piss.

Not quite.

Warnock is a manager, who is criticizing another manager's post.

You'd need to be brain surgeon, to say other brain surgeon's job is piece of piss.

BTW, can't blame you. It really is easy. Level two is to do it with marvellous hangover.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Probably the one of the best training facilities in the country, decent squad, decent fan base, an owner with money to spend. Yep well difficult to manage 

The only difficulty with the job is the expectation  

And a chairman with a loose trigger finger.....

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I would say 100% we have been a difficult club to manage. Morris was all over the place.. This direction, that direction, no real plan or if we did we binned it every other month. We have been a shambles for a couple of years. Of course that makes us difficult to manage.

Precisely. 

Not an easy job for Clement to take on. Not only insane expectations but for a first time manager to work under a chairman learning his own role does not make it easier. Clement was screwed the moment Mel entered the dressing room, but he was ultimately screwed for not being McClaren. Don't believe we should have sacked Clement, but we shouldn't McClaren.

Finish higher than 8th in the prem with Derby and you would probably be a legend. Understand the fans expectations and try and play attractive football and the chairman will back you. All jobs in football now have an air of short termism to them, instant success is the new world, everything we want we can get instantly, no more getting heart broken when Blockbuster are out of copies of Goldeneye.

Derby are a club in flux, at the start of a change brought about by having an owner come in with ambition and the financial clout to back it so in simple terms it probably harder to manage in a lot of ways than the Nigel clough era ( thought he did a good job and will not slag him off ) ,,, that said I'm not sure that Derby manager is a difficult job in the way warnock and others outside the club like to portray it ,, it's a simple case of it being a hard job for the wrong manager but for the right one it could be a simple easyish job comparatively ,,. We have seen a merrygoround of managers yes but it's also clear mel is looking for one that will be long term in a way other clubs have discarded of late , it's clear that Mel has a vision for the club which appears to be about playing attractive football and getting to the prem and staying there with that philosophy ,, he appears to have the patience to back a manager if he feels they are all on the same page and he can see ongoing improvement and movement towards that goal ,, Derby will be a great job for the right manager if we can find him  because he will get backing from an owner prepared  to invest and a large passionate fan base that will fill the ground ( may be Mac ,only time will tell) ,, no way is Mel the kind of loon we see as owner of clubs like Leeds and forest , he is determined and will find the right man that he can work with and of course he has to be able to work closely with him , Derby is his passion 

9 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Probably the one of the best training facilities in the country, decent squad, decent fan base, an owner with money to spend. Yep well difficult to manage 

The only difficulty with the job is the expectation  

So Derby IS a difficult club to manage then?

I read it as, the expectations to get to the premierleague and the pressure of the high crowds and a big club makes it more difficult.

Its always easier to get promotion under the radar so to speak as a smaller club having the odd good season. Whereas a club thats is up there every year means everyone brings their A game each week to try and stop you. Which is another reason Boros promotion last season is to be highly commended. ESpecially with Brighton in there.

I suppose  a lot of clubs that are hard to manage, but DCFC has a history of chronic boardroom mismanagement. In the end it comes down to the skill of the manager to be able to deliver in such circumstances. Brian Clough was brilliant for Derby, but fell out with the chairman. Arthur Cox worked miracles dragging the club from the abyss back to the top flight, working under fraudster Maxwell. With a more supportive chairman, Jim Smith had to build a team from scratch, but made a success of it. George Burley had us playing some great stuff in spite of the 3 Amigos shambles. Nigel Clough managed pretty well on a shoe string, in the end it was probably the fans disenchantment with mid table championship football that did for him. Not convinced about managers & owners since, the jury is still out on Mel Morris, and on Mac. 

14 hours ago, G-Ram said:

The only difficulty with the job is managing the expectation  

FTFY :)

22 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I wonder how people on here would feel if 7th is our best position for this season? (i.e. that's all folks) ??

Looking at the Championship table you realise that it is all 'massive' old clubs/ex prem. (Preston, Barnsley, Brentford, Rotherham, Burton, Huddersfield excepted).

" Massive Old clubs...."

Get Eddie to tell you about Preston and Huddersfield WHR... he was there!!:cool:

On 06/01/2017 at 14:25, Wolfie said:

So, man who has never done the job, says the job is hard to do.

OK, I've never been a brain surgeon, so I can categorically state it's a piece of piss.

Well its not exactly br-...er...rocket science is it? 

I agree with those who've said that Derby shouldn't be a hard team to manage. But it's it?

Might managing players at a well supported and well funded club, that has been at the top of the Championship for so many years be harder than it might seem.

For example, might it be easier to manage good players that have been in the relegation spots, and are being brought together as a team; than those who have lost some self belief by missing out on promotion for several years?

If he means the fans then is this something that was aired during his conversations with Clement?

If so then surely Clements would have had enough experience, albeit as second in command, with fans of high expectations.

If he means player power then again shouldn't Clement have had similar experiences.

I don't think Clements departure was purely down to footballing reasons. But if it was then I think he and Derby just weren't a good fit.

I do think he'll go on to enjoy success as a head coach!

Archived