EFL Clubs meeting at Pride Park

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

So is the one between the Championship and leagues 1 and 2.

It's all relative i guess but although I applaud Mel for taking action about something he feels strongly about, I hold a huge degree of scepticism that this is an altruistic campaign.

I don't know Mel and maybe am doing him a huge disservice but I guess I've just lost total faith in the integrity and intentions of most people nowadays. Especially in business.

IMO the best way to get increased TV revenue is to get promoted into the Premier League.

Would Mel be this persistent about such a cause if Derby WERE in the Prem and raking it in at the expense of Championship clubs scrambling to get a piece of the pie?

Again. I can't answer that as I don't know the man. In a perfect world I'd really like to think so.

I'm certainly watching with interest and at the very least you have to give Mel a massive amount of credit for rallying others and trying to get some action rather than the usual posting crap on social media channels moaning about stuff and doing bugger all about it which is seemingly what a significantly large proportion of society seem to be obsessed with doing.

Mel isn't happy and wants to do something constructive about the situation so whether it's purely for the benefit of himself / DCFC or for the benefit of others, you can't argue with that.

Who said this is altruistic? I assume Mel is doing this for Derby County's interests which he own's, so also his. The fact that it also helps other teams is a happy coincidence but also a necessity as it will take solidarity to get this desired better deal.

It's trite to say just get in the Prem to allow you to join the land of milk and honey, what the feck do you think we are trying to do, the fact we are struggling to do it shows it's no easy feat. 

23 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

yes your right, are lower league teams shown on TV though, isn't it about receiving a better slice of TV revenue or is this a different matter, too many lower league sides are suffering financially whilst we have the polar opposite of teams in the Prem who buy £40m players and they don't even manage to make the bench, we do need a better distribution of wealth, like life :ph34r:

If lower league sides are suffering financially then it's because they aren't run properly.

I know loads of them that are run properly. If you are Yeovil Town for example and you get 4000 home fans on average each game then you work with them to keep the club sustainable and competitive. On top of that you try to attract new supporters. That's all you can do.

No point trying to run yourselves like a Blackburn or an Ipswich. Operate within your means and gradually grow the club. If you've got 4000 home fans then that's what you've got.

Too many clubs have delusions of grandeur and the fans do too. Accrington have worked wonders since getting back into the football league.

They are a tiny club, with all due respect, survive off gates of barely 1500 home fans but the fans know the score. I don't see why they should get money for nothing. By all means I agree with grants for things around a football clubs like installing new toilets, new floodlights and things like this that will benefit both the club and the fans.

Just giving some of these chairman more free money however is a disaster. The fans won't benefit from any of it.

So a bit like vouchers have been touted as a solution for people on benefits not wasting their cash on fags and McDonalds, help in the form of grants and things for clubs to improve facilities and activities for fans and the local communities could be given instead.

Then I think that's fair. The well run clubs would still be well run and have an advantage over poorly run clubs because of this but both types of club will be able to improve things for fans instead of the money being pocketed or squandered by club owners / chairmen.

PS. IMO people on benefits are entitled to spend their money on whatever they want. I'm not judging, just giving that well touted suggestion as a workable scenario.

I take your point Lester and better distribution would be better for a lot of clubs.

12 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

If we were in the EPL Tony I think that in fairness Mel wouldn't be able to call clubs together from the Football League. He can only do so because we are one of the 72.

As we are one of the bigger clubs in the FL Mel undoubtedly has some parochial reasons to be interested in TV money and contracts, just as the larger clubs in the EPL have used their influence to get bigger shares of the Sky money on offer there. And it's this element that probably worries me the most - will possible changes lead to the rich getting richer?

The FL, and eventually the TV people, are not going to want the details of their contract to be common knowledge. Neither will they want the elements they topslice to be reduced. But most of all they will want to maintain the principle that all the clubs are sharing the benefits, if not completely equally then certainly not from the smaller  clubs suffering at the hands of the bigger. 

There will be other elements no doubt - can Rams TV show live games on a pay per view, for example (I wonder if they will do that for the Leeds friendly to test the market) - and on those issues I would say that Mel should push his arguments hard.

Good post. I think I'm perhaps posting on this with one dimensional thinking. You are right, there are many issues that need addressing here not just how money is distributed. I've not thought any of them through however so have to leave it at ranting at circus led lower league clubs. Phew! I hear you all say. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

If lower league sides are suffering financially then it's because they aren't run properly.

I know loads of them that are run properly. If you are Yeovil Town for example and you get 4000 home fans on average each game then you work with them to keep the club sustainable and competitive. On top of that you try to attract new supporters. That's all you can do.

No point trying to run yourselves like a Blackburn or an Ipswich. Operate within your means and gradually grow the club. If you've got 4000 home fans then that's what you've got.

Too many clubs have delusions of grandeur and the fans do too. Accrington have worked wonders since getting back into the football league.

They are a tiny club, with all due respect, survive off gates of barely 1500 home fans but the fans know the score. I don't see why they should get money for nothing. By all means I agree with grants for things around a football clubs like installing new toilets, new floodlights and things like this that will benefit both the club and the fans.

Just giving some of these chairman more free money however is a disaster. The fans won't benefit from any of it.

So a bit like vouchers have been touted as a solution for people on benefits not wasting their cash on fags and McDonalds, help in the form of grants and things for clubs to improve facilities and activities for fans and the local communities could be given instead.

Then I think that's fair. The well run clubs would still be well run and have an advantage over poorly run clubs because of this but both types of club will be able to improve things for fans instead of the money being pocketed or squandered by club owners / chairmen.

PS. IMO people on benefits are entitled to spend their money on whatever they want. I'm not judging, just giving that well touted suggestion as a workable scenario.

I take your point Lester and better distribution would be better for a lot of clubs.

yeah but its hard to attract 4000 fans week in, week out, look at Derbyshire as an example, we have 30k hardcore fans whatever the weather and yet we have competition from Burton, Chesterfield and Ilkeston, here in Lester we have no competition and when them t*&ts drop into the Championship they will maintain there usual 18k fans with no competition, its hard to maintain your fan base :ph34r::ermm:

1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

yeah but its hard to attract 4000 fans week in, week out, look at Derbyshire as an example, we have 30k hardcore fans whatever the weather and yet we have competition from Burton, Chesterfield and Ilkeston, here in Lester we have no competition and when them t*&ts drop into the Championship they will maintain there usual 18k fans with no competition, its hard to maintain your fan base :ph34r::ermm:

I agree but that's not the fault of geography. York (sorry again! :ermm:) get around 3000 home fans when its going well. Yes there are a lot of Leeds fans that way out but York is a big city with a huge catchment area. How can they only get 3000 when Chesterfield for example got more in the old Saltergate?

Chesterfield is a lot smaller and surrounded by the Sheffield clubs, Derby even Forest and Mansfield.

It is possible to attract new fans no matter how small a club you are through reward based enticement. We're just like dogs. Reward people for coming in a way that doesn't have a significant impact on the bottom line and those fans are more likely to keep returning even when the football is rubbish.

Clubs just have to live within their means no matter where they are geographically situated and do the best they can. So long as fans don't have unrealistic expectations and they and the club engage regularly airing any grievances and these getting satisfactorily rectified then a club and its fans can live in harmony regardless of success.

If Alfreton for example can only ever get 1500 fans or around that then that's just the way it is. You can strive for more and I do think more could be attracted with the right incentives but that's football.

Accrington survive and compete on gates of 1500 and they are a couple of miles from Burnley and Blackburn.

There is no reason why they can't do a Yeovil or a Burton and get into the Championship one day. It just takes sustained good all round club management from board to manager and everyone to a man pulling in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I agree but that's not the fault of geography. York (sorry again! :ermm:) get around 3000 home fans when its going well. Yes there are a lot of Leeds fans that way out but York is a big city with a huge catchment area. How can they only get 3000 when Chesterfield for example got more in the old Saltergate?

Chesterfield is a lot smaller and surrounded by the Sheffield clubs, Derby even Forest and Mansfield.

It is possible to attract new fans no matter how small a club you are through reward based enticement. We're just like dogs. Reward people for coming in a way that doesn't have a significant impact on the bottom line and those fans are more likely to keep returning even when the football is rubbish.

Clubs just have to live within their means no matter where they are geographically situated and do the best they can. So long as fans don't have unrealistic expectations and they and the club engage regularly airing any grievances and these getting satisfactorily rectified then a club and its fans can live in harmony regardless of success.

If Alfreton for example can only ever get 1500 fans or around that then that's just the way it is. You can strive for more and I do think more could be attracted with the right incentives but that's football.

Accrington survive and compete on gates of 1500 and they are a couple of miles from Burnley and Blackburn.

There is no reason why they can't do a Yeovil or a Burton and get into the Championship one day. It just takes sustained good all round club management from board to manager and everyone to a man pulling in the right direction.

don't quote York for god sake, they are never going to land on here and bite, don't you ever antagonise people :lol:

Archived