De Sart - Signed on loan

Day

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I suspect we will still be looking at Lansbury(or another attacking midfielder) because De Sart is for a different role in the team.

Obviously they play a different role, but surely De Sart would release Johnson further forward to play a Lansbury type role. If De Sart will start and we signed Lansbury, that would leave one place for Johnson, Hughes, Butterfield and Bryson. Maybe someone is going. If they aren't i think we would certainly lower the amount we would stretch to pay for him. 

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sage said:

Obviously they play a different role, but surely De Sart would release Johnson further forward to play a Lansbury type role. If De Sart will start and we signed Lansbury, that would leave one place for Johnson, Hughes, Butterfield and Bryson. Maybe someone is going. If they aren't i think we would certainly lower the amount we would stretch to pay for him. 

If reports to be believed, bryson is leaving, leaving 2 positions for 4 players, plus johnson would also be cover for DM. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I see what your saying but I'm largely going off we still seem very keen on bringing in Lansbury. I think there are couple things to consider though; we can probably support having 5-6 midfielders in the squad playing a 433 with two people (De Sart and Johnson) picked out to be able to play CDM, there is a decent chance (like you mention) that somebody is being moved on and I suspect that somebody will be Bryson due to his limited game time under McClaren and the final thing to consider is sooner or later Will Hughes will leave us (quite possibly this summer if we don't go up) and we have to be prepared for that happening. 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What? You're speaking to yourself now :lol:

Please look who I replied in previous page and you'll understand why. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I see what your saying but I'm largely going off we still seem very keen on bringing in Lansbury. I think there are couple things to consider though; we can probably support having 5-6 midfielders in the squad playing a 433 with two people (De Sart and Johnson) picked out to be able to play CDM, there is a decent chance (like you mention) that somebody is being moved on and I suspect that somebody will be Bryson due to his limited game time under McClaren and the final thing to consider is sooner or later Will Hughes will leave us (quite possibly this summer if we don't go up) and we have to be prepared for that happening. 

Hmm we still do seem keen, but signing another CM when we have issues at CF, LW, LB and possibly RB with little cover CB. 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Actually thinking about it could in a roundabout fashion solve a problem we are having currently in that (and this opinion will probably prove unpopular) Johnson is hampering our ability to attack the opposition. As we are currently playing Johnson as the CDM it requires both Hughes and Butterfield to come deep for the ball to try to instigate moves, this means that they can't take up attacking positions further up field and try and exploit pockets of space. Now how much of this down to Johnson and how much of it's down to we can't rely on the CF to hold the ball up and allow the midfielders to gamble on runs forward as much, I don't know. I suspect both are contributing. I will add that I believe that Johnson has more than compensated for this with his defensive ability.  

By putting more of a playmaker, somebody who is supremely confident on the ball, where Johnson is currently would allow the other two midfielders to be much more forward thinking. And perhaps your right with Hughes there beside him, the need for Johnson to get himself on the ball would significantly reduced. Essentially have Johnson constantly breaking into the box and not worry about the build up play whatsoever. He is undeniably a goal threat in and around the box, perhaps this could prove very effective. For it to work though I suspect we will need a certain centre forward who is very good at getting involved in the build-up play.

He certainly played a major attacking part in one of the my favorite derby goals of all time (and yes this is mostly an excuse to show this goal again).

How we lost to Hull in the playoffs is beyond me. They were crap then and they are crap now. One bad game at home in the semi's basically rendered the entire season of work pointless.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Hmm we still do seem keen, but signing another CM when we have issues at CF, LW, LB and possibly RB with little cover CB. 

Whilst your right about our other issues, just because we haven't been linked with players in those positions (and we have in a few cases; LW - Sako and CF-Martin) doesn't mean the club aren't strongly considering it. Take the interest about De Sart for example, not heard anything about till today after he's already apparently had a medical.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How we lost to Hull in the playoffs is beyond me. They were crap then and they are crap now. One bad game at home in the semi's basically rendered the entire season of work pointless.

Well honestly it's not too hard to pick that one apart as there are three main reasons:

1. Thorne got injured
  2. We played Hughes as CDM, meaning he couldn't have usual influence on the game
  3. We decided to employ slightly baffling long ball tactics (rumoured to be on the recommendation of 'Arry), rather than our usual game

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Hull at home in the play-offs will at least serve as an indication for Mac how not to use BJ; I.E. playing behind Martin and having it hoofed up to the pair of them.

Archived