George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OwenB87 said:

The landscape has changed, I think.

Sports clubs have become media outlets and content creators in their own right. So it's natural that they would want to keep things for themselves.

For as long as I've been doing the job it's been a case of we talk to who we're given to talk to - there's not enough time or any opportunity to request an interviewee post-match.

Every now and again we'll ask for something a little extra - like the one-to-one I had with Chris Powell this week - and the club are usually very good at giving us that.

Hope that answers the question!

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer and yes it does!

1 hour ago, OwenB87 said:

The landscape has changed, I think.

Sports clubs have become media outlets and content creators in their own right. So it's natural that they would want to keep things for themselves.

For as long as I've been doing the job it's been a case of we talk to who we're given to talk to - there's not enough time or any opportunity to request an interviewee post-match.

Every now and again we'll ask for something a little extra - like the one-to-one I had with Chris Powell this week - and the club are usually very good at giving us that.

Hope that answers the question!

I get that Owen. Industries that deal with the general public are the same, witness how Sky, BT, The Energy companies all steer the public through a process rather than have one on one engagement with their customers. We have to expect that because they are so big as organisations and have to deal with so many individuals. There has to be some "management" in terms of how resources are deployed. BUT ... Isn't it part of the journalists job to try and cut through the glossy brochure and the PR statement and get some inside info. ... I am not pointing any fingers but shouldn't we be hearing things like "source at training ground" says George was running shuttles for an hour last Tuesday and looked sharp ? or He was seen coming out of the gym with strapping on his knee. Or is there such a level of control that the messenger gets shot or excluded from "official" briefings if they find something out ? I think it is reasonable to feel that there should be a certain amount of semi official gossip other wise it becomes pretty dull. Fans being seen as "consumers of content" which just isn't right. We are fans, we are customers, we are not just data points and direct debit signatories.

5 minutes ago, jono said:

I get that Owen. Industries that deal with the general public are the same, witness how Sky, BT, The Energy companies all steer the public through a process rather than have one on one engagement with their customers. We have to expect that because they are so big as organisations and have to deal with so many individuals. There has to be some "management" in terms of how resources are deployed. BUT ... Isn't it part of the journalists job to try and cut through the glossy brochure and the PR statement and get some inside info. ... I am not pointing any fingers but shouldn't we be hearing things like "source at training ground" says George was running shuttles for an hour last Tuesday and looked sharp ? or He was seen coming out of the gym with strapping on his knee. Or is there such a level of control that the messenger gets shot or excluded from "official" briefings if they find something out ? I think it is reasonable to feel that there should be a certain amount of semi official gossip other wise it becomes pretty dull. Fans being seen as "consumers of content" which just isn't right. We are fans, we are customers, we are not just data points and direct debit signatories.

This 100%. 

The one constant in this is George Thorne. I feel a young man who is rebuilding his body, probably under immense emotional pressure, maybe under pressure to salvage a career, the only career that a young talented football would ever see themselves doing, should be awarded privacy, patience and time.

is it really my business about how Thornes rehabilitation is going day to day, week to week? No it isn't.

you just know that if the club came out and said "he will be back by this date", when that date comes around and he isn't quite fit, we will have a load of fans on here, other boards and Twitter giving it "knew he wouldn't be back, blokes a crock, get rid, release him, made of glass, paying him to do nothing". I would put my life on that happening. Imagine the mental strength Thorne would need to cope with the ensuing backlash.

its not fair on him and we shouldn't expect anything until he is pulling the shirt back on for the reserves.

24 minutes ago, jono said:

I get the impression that a lot of the paper and broadcast journalists in Derby are Derby supporters. Not a bad thing!!

However because of this they probably support the clubs decisions on how and what information gets out. Some may see this a a bad thing!

I agree with the comments on here that players deserves privacy and if the club and those reporting agree with that too, and if it's in the best interests of the club then it's something I except too.

Personally I'm more concerned with the players available and their performances.

@Jean Antoine Tessier and @KBB

Excellent counter to my initial feelings.

In essence and particularly for a young man engaged in a big battle, a level of privacy is to be expected and is 100% right, but I don't think in a public profession such as football and with Journalists quite happy to go after bedroom habits and marriage ruining stories that purse lipped silence is really the high moral ground. You don't want spy cams in the treatment room and reality TV making light of a personal struggle. But it can't be unreasonable to ask for some news on general progress that goes beyond bland nothingness ? The twitter brigade and the told you so gang, will do what they do regardless of the news (or lack of it )

Not on a crusade, not demanding, just curious as to opinions

1 minute ago, jono said:

@Jean Antoine Tessier and @KBB

Excellent counter to my initial feelings.

In essence and particularly for a young man engaged in a big battle, a level of privacy is to be expected and is 100% right, but I don't think in a public profession such as football and with Journalists quite happy to go after bedroom habits and marriage ruining stories that purse lipped silence is really the high moral ground. You don't want spy cams in the treatment room and reality TV making light of a personal struggle. But it can't be unreasonable to ask for some news on general progress that goes beyond bland nothingness ? The twitter brigade and the told you so gang, will do what they do regardless of the news (or lack of it )

Not on a crusade, not demanding, just curious as to opinions

Exactly my point. The DET and RD journalists are not the type to invade privacy. You'd expect that from National tabloid journalists. You'll probably notice a change in stories when we get promoted.

As I recall GT himself never put a date on it - even when it first happened - and media was saying 3 months. 3 months for a double leg break? Seriously, what were they smoking? 

Now it's past the stated return dates is why peeps are itching for news. Had they said a whole year out we'd have lived with it. 

At this point I'd rather listen to what George thinks. Interview long overdue

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

As I recall GT himself never put a date on it - even when it first happened - and media was saying 3 months. 3 months for a double leg break? Seriously, what were they smoking? 

Now it's past the stated return dates is why peeps are itching for news. Had they said a whole year out we'd have lived with it. 

At this point I'd rather listen to what George thinks. Interview long overdue

3 months was always going to be far too soon agreed......more like six months to a year.

Would be good to hear from George.

2 hours ago, jono said:

Well I am thinking we'll get some news by April the 23rd .. St Georges day .. Sounds about right to me and not worried until then. Just keep fighting George. You have a whole bunch of us out here rooting for you 

Here's hoping he comes back fit and firing to give us that extra edge at the backend of the season.

Archived