West Brom v Derby County (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulis tends to take the FA Cup seriously doesn't he? If so, and also with the fact that WBA aren't in any kind of relegation trouble to bear in mind, I expect us to be up against a very strong and close to first choice Baggies side on Saturday.

I'd put shackell in at left back for this one, that way Keogh and Pearce still maintain their CB partnership without being put out of position which may disrupt their chemistry going back to CB in the league matches. Baird RB. Bryson, Hanson and Johnson midfield. Camara, Vydra and Weimann front 3. We have nothing to lose for this match so hopefully we see some good performances from a few players that have been out of the side.

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

I think that would be the worst tactical decision of all time:huh:

Why? He can play in EIGHT different positions. 

11 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Pulis tends to take the FA Cup seriously doesn't he? If so, and also with the fact that WBA aren't in any kind of relegation trouble to bear in mind, I expect us to be up against a very strong and close to first choice Baggies side on Saturday.

Fielded strong team that drew against Bristol City. 

2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Why? He can play in EIGHT different positions. 

According to who? In my opinion, the weaker areas of Weimann's game are passing, composure and awareness of what's around you, and those are exactly the traits needed to play in central midfield. Anyone can "play" in any position, but just because you might have been shoved in there for five minutes doesn't mean that you are good enough for it. I went in goal for a game when I was seven, doesn't mean I count goalkeeper as one of the positions that I can play. 

Slightly surprised at those wanting the strongest team possible having seen us slog it v Wigan and Norwich, players look absolutely turkey stuffed knackered and I've got more chance of a night with Cheryl Cole than winning the cup.

I get those that are going will want to see a strong side but with 2 tough games against top 6 sides straight after this, would be crazy not to rest a few legs.

Not suggesting an entire academy starting 11 but a week off for Carson, Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Johnson, Russell, Ince and Bent definitely.

5 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Like the look of that team for Saturday.

I would just put Elsnik instead of Guy.

Agree but I would have Vydra in because he needs to play a series of games to keep his touch, confidence and self belief at a reasonable level. 

really liked the look of Elsnik .. He has the sort of touch and dynamism that we need and has been missing for the last couple of games 

Carson

Baird     Keogh     Rawson     Shackell    

Hanson

Bryson     Elsnik

Weimann      Vydra      Camara

Subs: Mitchell Stabana Pearce Vernam Johnson Guy Ince

Only picking Carson as he'll want to play against his former club. We have to try Shacks at LB, and if Rawson's to sign a new contract we need to give him a game. Hanson deserves a start after showing much more energy than most on Saturday. We absolutely need to give Weimann, Vydra and Camara minutes.

I don't understand those (an apparent majority) on here wanting our exhausted first 11 to limp on for yet another game rather than give some of them a break and finally also get some playing time to our plethora of unused forwards.

2 hours ago, Frogram said:

Can somebody explain to me why our team is tired , exhausted , and knackered , more than the likes of Wigan and Norwich , who have played the same number of games ?

One of life's mysteries that I've often thought about myself but can't find an answer. 

I could understand it if we played an intense high tempo game but we don't (or at least haven't been this season). 

2 hours ago, Frogram said:

Can somebody explain to me why our team is tired , exhausted , and knackered , more than the likes of Wigan and Norwich , who have played the same number of games ?

Radio D was saying that Norwich rested 5 key players on Boxing Day and brought them back for the Derby game - utilising the squad.

Even Rammage eluded to the fact  - that we should have done this against Wigan  - Hughes (wouldn't have been suspended for the Norwich game), Butterfield, Ince etc 

26 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Radio D was saying that Norwich rested 5 key players on Boxing Day and brought them back for the Derby game - utilising the squad.

Even Rammage eluded to the fact  - that we should have done this against Wigan  - Hughes (wouldn't have been suspended for the Norwich game), Butterfield, Ince etc 

Think this would have been a bit more beneficial. We could have gave a few fringe players a chance to really prove themselves against Wigan.

But Mac tries to play the best team available for each game

You can't try and be too clever. Wigan are worth the same amount of points as Norwich. Take your eye off Wigan and you could lose it. Then you have your best 11 but they're away at Norwich. 

As it is our best 11 drew with Wigan. It's just as possible that we could have lost to them with a weaker side as we could have beat Norwich with a stronger one. 

I'm sure if we'd have got the game in the bag that Mac would have made subs earlier with Monday in mind. 

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But Mac tries to play the best team available for each game

You can't try and be too clever. Wigan are worth the same amount of points as Norwich. Take your eye off Wigan and you could lose it. Then you have your best 11 but they're away at Norwich. 

As it is our best 11 drew with Wigan. It's just as possible that we could have lost to them with a weaker side as we could have beat Norwich with a stronger one. 

I'm sure if we'd have got the game in the bag that Mac would have made subs earlier with Monday in mind. 

Highlights the issue with the squad if we can't rest one or two players v Wigan, are the fringe players that much worse?

Poor Baird is almost ready to collect his bus pass and we're expecting him to play week in week out. I'm sure we could have survived with Hanson in there for one.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Highlights the issue with the squad if we can't rest one or two players v Wigan, are the fringe players that much worse?

Poor Baird is almost ready to collect his bus pass and we're expecting him to play week in week out. I'm sure we could have survived with Hanson in there for one.

Imagine Jamie Hanson against Wilschut... Like the tortoise and the Hare. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Hanson is hopeless at FB 

Didn't do that bad v Forest last season, you can't expect a 35 year old next month to continue playing week in week out, especially at full back coming up against pacey wingers. 

Archived