i am fuming mad

B4ev6is

I think us getting battered didn't help with getting 3 points. 

If Naismith was actually good at anything when he releases the ball he could have had the hattrick himself. 

Some of our defending looked like we were under water. For ball watching that much our players should have to pay full ticket price.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting reading through the whole thread. I share B4's anger and frustration, but strange as it may sound am happy with the 3 - 0 stuffing we got, because we were 3 or 4 goals worse than Norwich. I also agree that the ref had a tough call given the circumstances, which is often the case, and it could just as easily been a yellow or nothing.

My main protest is the inconsistency in refereeing performance, making the red card against Butterfield both harsh and frustrating simply because of what the ref let go throughout the game. We aren't talking one or two isolated instances, we are talking of what went on throughout the match. There should have been a number of other yellow cards issued, and the red for the foul on Bent. And in the end, as the TV pundits always say, if you don't take your chances while you are on top it may well come to bite you on the bum. The refereeing inconsistency took away the chance to bite Norwich on the bum and nick a point or three.

In the end, we got the result we deserved.

Despite the differences in opinion, can we all be friends, now?     pretty please?

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Very interesting reading through the whole thread. I share B4's anger and frustration, but strange as it may sound am happy with the 3 - 0 stuffing we got, because we were 3 or 4 goals worse than Norwich. I also agree that the ref had a tough call given the circumstances, which is often the case, and it could just as easily been a yellow or nothing.

My main protest is the inconsistency in refereeing performance, making the red card against Butterfield both harsh and frustrating simply because of what the ref let go throughout the game. We aren't talking one or two isolated instances, we are talking of what went on throughout the match. There should have been a number of other yellow cards issued, and the red for the foul on Bent. And in the end, as the TV pundits always say, if you don't take your chances while you are on top it may well come to bite you on the bum. The refereeing inconsistency took away the chance to bite Norwich on the bum and nick a point or three.

In the end, we got the result we deserved.

Despite the differences in opinion, can we all be friends, now?     pretty please?

Disagree.

A referee will never get everything right, agreed. They will be the most maligned people in football. 

I don't get why people shout for "consistency" with regards officiating..... unless we stop every two minutes to refer back to decisions then you'll never get all referees to be the same week in week out. Every official has different views of incidents, it's matter of opinion if they give yellows and reds, fouls etc...... not every referee will agree on everything. What they will do is give a honest decision and be 100% certain in what they are giving, even if it's proved right or wrong after. 

21 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree.

A referee will never get everything right, agreed. They will be the most maligned people in football. 

I don't get why people shout for "consistency" with regards officiating..... unless we stop every two minutes to refer back to decisions then you'll never get all referees to be the same week in week out. Every official has different views of incidents, it's matter of opinion if they give yellows and reds, fouls etc...... not every referee will agree on everything. What they will do is give a honest decision and be 100% certain in what they are giving, even if it's proved right or wrong after. 

Mafia my friend, I actually agree with most of what you just posted, and no, by consistency, I don't mean that all refs see everything exactly the same and make exactly the same decisions. What I am looking for is consistency within a match, so if a ref lets a number of hefty challenges go, especially when they are committed by one or two players, and then cards a player for a first or second offence, that is inconsistent. But we see this time and time again,  both at Pride Park and at away matches. It is this type of performance I have pointed out re the Norwich match. Yes, Butterfield's challenge was robust, and a red, yellow or no card could be justified, but not after Russell had been literally kicked off the pitch. Or in a number of matches, Hughes and/or Johnson have been carded for their first or second offence, while Hughes and Rusell have been clattered time and time again with no response, and sometimes without a free-kick at all.

I don't know if you were at Carrow road or not, but a number of decisions were given following either strong protestation from the Norwich players, or loud shouts from the crowd. When was the last time we could honestly say that a ref at Pride Park was a homer?

Maybe we could have more of a meeting of minds if we called it even-handed treatment of the two sides.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Mafia my friend, I actually agree with most of what you just posted, and no, by consistency, I don't mean that all refs see everything exactly the same and make exactly the same decisions. What I am looking for is consistency within a match, so if a ref lets a number of hefty challenges go, especially when they are committed by one or two players, and then cards a player for a first or second offence, that is inconsistent. But we see this time and time again,  both at Pride Park and at away matches. It is this type of performance I have pointed out re the Norwich match. Yes, Butterfield's challenge was robust, and a red, yellow or no card could be justified, but not after Russell had been literally kicked off the pitch. Or in a number of matches, Hughes and/or Johnson have been carded for their first or second offence, while Hughes and Rusell have been clattered time and time again with no response, and sometimes without a free-kick at all.

I don't know if you were at Carrow road or not, but a number of decisions were given following either strong protestation from the Norwich players, or loud shouts from the crowd. When was the last time we could honestly say that a ref at Pride Park was a homer?

Maybe we could have more of a meeting of minds if we called it even-handed treatment of the two sides.

I Do agree with this, I do often feel you see challenges made, especially early in a match that just get a warning which means said player sort of gets a free yellow if that makes sense. Then as you say another player later in the game makes a challenge which can be his first but is then booked, its almost like he has a limit to which he will give warnings then book the next player who makes a challenge worthy of a yellow.

A bookable offence should be the same, even if its in the first 5 seconds.

Archived